Tire size and lift - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:45 AM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

Tire size and lift

I'm looking to go a little bit bigger on my tire size. I'm currently running 33x12.5x15 SSR's on a 3" rovertym lift with 4.11's. I also have the heavy duty GBR rear axle shafts and ARB's front and rear. I know within the next two months I am also getting heavy duty front axle shafts from GBR too. I'm pretty impressed with the super swampers I have on it now but they are looking a little small and I want more clearance.

I know I might be looking a bit too big but would 36x12.5x15 TSL radials be a good choice? I've seen people run 37's on three inches of lift but will I need to trim much on 36's? Also, even with the axle shafts front and rear will I be on the verge of breaking something soon? Finally, does anyone have any experience with the radial TSL's? Suggestions are welcome.

Just realized I didn't write this in the tech section. sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

With 35 12.5 SSRs I had to trim some metal on the rear and all of the fender flares with 3 inch lift. If it's not too late you should look into Keith's front axles and new CV's for the front. rovertracks.com I think.

I like the SSR's they are TSL design.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

I guess I'll be sticking to 35" tires then, I really don't feel like trimming. Thanks for the rovertracks website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jake, I am running 35" MTRs with a 3" lift and I have not trimmed anything. I only get slight rubbing in the rear during heavy compression. Jorge runs the 36" TSL's on Wolf rims and had to trim some metal in the rear like shown on the site here.. THey are great tires and with that size you can go over anything.

I would love to go with a set of Krawlers one day but don't know if they will fit well with the 13.5" width or even handle well on the road???
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

Can someone post up what they did for trimming and what tools they used? I know theres the trimming section in the tech section but it's little brief for my liking. Thank you.
Old November 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

http://members.tripod.com/calrovers/trimming.htm

I used this as a general guide. I didn't trim as much of the metal or the fender flares.

I used a jig saw with a fine cutting blade to cut the metal and the fender flares. Use some duct tape or something smooth and soft on the foot of the saw to keep it from scratching the metal. Then I used a small belt sander to fair the cut on the fender flares.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tire