Tinted windows - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
pdz
paul tj deasey
1994 D90 - #795

Tinted windows

So I let my FiancÚ drive my DD for the last few weeks, and on my first trip driving it, I notice that there is a small tear in one of the tinted windows. Does anyone know if there is a way to repair this, or will I just need to get the whole windows tint replaced or should I just become less anal and live with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2015, 10:03 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdz View Post
So I let my FiancÚ drive my DD for the last few weeks, and on my first trip driving it, I notice that there is a small tear in one of the tinted windows. Does anyone know if there is a way to repair this, or will I just need to get the whole windows tint replaced or should I just become less anal and live with it?

You can slice it out with a razor knife it is a real small tear. If you only change one window odds are they won't match due to UV degradation and different films. I would just have them all done new, it cant be more than $125
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:04 PM
pdz
paul tj deasey
1994 D90 - #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
You can slice it out with a razor knife it is a real small tear. If you only change one window odds are they won't match due to UV degradation and different films. I would just have them all done new, it cant be more than $125

I hadn't thought about the degradation factor. I guess replacing them all is probably the best solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

One of the best things I've done was removing the old window tint. Now I can actually see at night & they barely fog up anymore. It was relatively easy with a heat gun.
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:50 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
One of the best things I've done was removing the old window tint. Now I can actually see at night & they barely fog up anymore. It was relatively easy with a heat gun.
I need to remove the tint on my classic... Just heat and peel?
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 4th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I need to remove the tint on my classic... Just heat and peel?
If it's not too old, it works like that. Mine was old & took some extra work and cleaning up adhesive that was left behind. I did it on a cold day so maybe a warm day would be better.
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Makeitdark
Dave
1984 Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
First off no, there is no fixing tint that has any type of cut or mark in it. Most of the time these are caused by someone who lets the seatbelt slap the glass, a key and even a ring might cut through window film. Secondly, if you like having some protection against the sun (UV Rays), it's not just for looks guys, you could always just have the front two doors re-done. I would typically charge around $100 for a peel and re-tint on two doors. So you could use that as a guide to what it might cost. As far as peeling clean, yes use a heat gun, on the outside of the glass. Don't heat the tint or it will continue to get brittle and tear off in smaller pieces. Get the glass hot to the touch and be careful where you point the heat gun. Then the adhesive will become soft and allow you to peel the film from the glass. After the tint is gone you can scrape the remaining glue off with some wind-ex and a 1" razor blade if needed. Use it at an extreme angle as to not scratch your glass.
Or you if you have a steamer you can get the film side hot with it and peel. Most of the time the tint comes off with the glue, not always but it's an alternative to a heat gun.
Hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
window, windows