Throwing up - flu or the new Jeep Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
paulb's Avatar
paulb
Status: Offline
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Altos Hills California USA
Posts: 786
Throwing up - flu or the new Jeep Defender

Found this on Yahoo Italy on the Paris car show - and thought it funny, sad, stomach turning, irritating, and finally chose nice pix.

Well in the photo section on the car show (get past the booth babes) was a bit on JEEP so I took a look and this was there - labeled as a Madrid Car Show Pix 12. They say plagerism is flattery...?

As an asside, why the hell cann't some of these car make it to the US?!! -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Madrid car show d90 Jeep.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7015  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:27 PM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
I like how the picture hides the new hood lump... savy...very savy this new ford company is... not to be trusted.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM
roverboy's Avatar
roverboy
Status: Offline
Thomas
Booger
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 413
You know that Ford is trying desperately to sell off Land Rover, right? Things are going to get worse for LR before they get any better, I can promise you all. Ford even tried to talk Hyundai into buying LR. I swear to God. And they passed on it.

Face it fellas, LR as an offroad icon is a thing of the past. They have been reduced to a small cog in a marketing driven, bottom line conscious, gigantic global automaking conglamerate. And as Defender owners, especially in the US, we've been kicked to the curb and relegated to the role of an ongoing marketing campaign. LRNA will not hesitate to show pics of Defenders in their advertising and sales materials and they train their salespeople to paint an emotional picture of off road adventure and african safaris when they try and sell Freelanders...excuse me LR3's. The next time you're in a dealership, take a look around. There will usually be one D-90 outside on the lot someplace to draw in the curious folks as they drive by on the road, and there may even be an immaculate D-90 in the showroom with an astronomical price tag. (They don't really want to sell it, you see....they just want those who enter to feel an association with that ruggedness and sense of adventure that the Defenders naturally bring. It also helps illustrate how LR's "supposedly" hold their value. Ask a Disco, Freelander or P38 owner how his truck's value is doing these days.)

I hear that LR2's drive really nice on the road. And I'd be lying if I said that my wife and I wouldn't enjoy a new Range Rover with 22" rims to drop off the kids off at school. But as for the Defenders we all know and love/hate as serious offroaders, we're on our own. Especially here in the U.S.A.

The more I think about it, the better a brand new 4-door Jeep Rubicon Unlimited sounds. Blaspheme! I know, I know...
__________________
"There is absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act."
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Jon_Winningham's Avatar
Jon_Winningham
Status: Offline
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 728
Registry
Are those doors from the G-Wagon???

G-Wagon+Cheap= this
__________________
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Maybe we can convince old George at RDS to buy the Defender line when rover shuts it down.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,522
Registry
haha. id sign up for a job
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Maybe we can convince old George at RDS to buy the Defender line when rover shuts it down.
lol...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Cirbo's Avatar
Cirbo
Status: Offline
Jim C.
None
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 456
Well said Thomas. I want to puke every time I hear LaNdRoVerLIfeSTylE!....

Cough CoughBullshit**!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
paulb's Avatar
paulb
Status: Offline
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Altos Hills California USA
Posts: 786
I agree with Roverboy. Interesting I read in the London Financial Times that MG, you all remember MG right, is now a Chinese brand. An excellent business model to purchase the marquee and build behind it. It works, or it doesn't. But you have the important elements either way of buzz, free press, and all you need to do is support it with a decent set of wheels.

A defender line is what, ~$1 billion to redesign, set shop and manufacture ? Put a European deseil in it for fuel econ and... So who to sell to:

Mini of the Rover group is German, of BMW (demonstrated that sales of 25k units a yr is profitable)
MG is now Chinese - lets wait and see but can they really Fu#@ up worse than Ford?
LR is presently Ford but... they should keep RR as the marquee and dump LR.
Mercedes already promote the G-wagon as an SUV (weird)
Honda - what do they have in the off road segment? Kicked ass in the truck segment and oh so
funny if they took it from Ford and beat them out against the 150 AND with the defender!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
ECR said the brazil line shut down. Maybe george will buy it.

Ron
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Screehopper
Status: Offline
Joey C.
97 Disco 5-sp
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 28
Actually, China has a 49% stake and Oklahoma has a 51% stake in MG. So it's not 100% Chinese owned. I read that in the Wall Street Journal I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
draaronr's Avatar
draaronr
Status: Offline
Here
LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: nc USA
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
You know that Ford is trying desperately to sell off Land Rover, right? Things are going to get worse for LR before they get any better, I can promise you all. Ford even tried to talk Hyundai into buying LR. I swear to God. And they passed on it.

Face it fellas, LR as an offroad icon is a thing of the past. They have been reduced to a small cog in a marketing driven, bottom line conscious, gigantic global automaking conglamerate. And as Defender owners, especially in the US, we've been kicked to the curb and relegated to the role of an ongoing marketing campaign. LRNA will not hesitate to show pics of Defenders in their advertising and sales materials and they train their salespeople to paint an emotional picture of off road adventure and african safaris when they try and sell Freelanders...excuse me LR3's. The next time you're in a dealership, take a look around. There will usually be one D-90 outside on the lot someplace to draw in the curious folks as they drive by on the road, and there may even be an immaculate D-90 in the showroom with an astronomical price tag. (They don't really want to sell it, you see....they just want those who enter to feel an association with that ruggedness and sense of adventure that the Defenders naturally bring. It also helps illustrate how LR's "supposedly" hold their value. Ask a Disco, Freelander or P38 owner how his truck's value is doing these days.)

I hear that LR2's drive really nice on the road. And I'd be lying if I said that my wife and I wouldn't enjoy a new Range Rover with 22" rims to drop off the kids off at school. But as for the Defenders we all know and love/hate as serious offroaders, we're on our own. Especially here in the U.S.A.

The more I think about it, the better a brand new 4-door Jeep Rubicon Unlimited sounds. Blaspheme! I know, I know...

I agree, this is what I always said about the dealer events. They love for us too show up with our trucks kitted out. then all the accountants and soccer moms can say, yeah my truck can do that too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Tawayama's Avatar
Tawayama
Status: Offline
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Riverton, Utah, USA
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
There will usually be one D-90 outside on the lot someplace to draw in the curious folks as they drive by on the road, and there may even be an immaculate D-90 in the showroom with an astronomical price tag.
Ahhhhh, that explains the (stock) $59,000 110 that's at the American Fork dealer.
__________________
Michael Slade
www.tawayama.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM
paulb's Avatar
paulb
Status: Offline
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Altos Hills California USA
Posts: 786
Oklahoma? So do I have to start talkin with a twang? not sure I know how.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,522
Registry
The dash is remeniscent of the Disco I interior the RR Classic got before it went to shit. I wonder what will happen to the Defender since its got that funky LR3 looking setup. That being said if you can still get parts for Series from the 50's I think we will be okay for a few years to come.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
I agree, this is what I always said about the dealer events. They love for us too show up with our trucks kitted out. then all the accountants and soccer moms can say, yeah my truck can do that too.
Don't know any dealerships like that.....hahaha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94 NAS Defender 90-P.O.E.(Port of Entry) 1 of 65 made! on EBAY SeanD-90 Misc. Chit-Chat 29 May 27th, 2017 08:14 AM
Whats in my container??????? SafariHP The Vendors Loft 30 November 26th, 2015 07:31 AM
Slickrock Defender 90 Sliders dave_lucas The Vendors Loft 15 November 28th, 2010 04:45 PM
2005 LA car show Jeep showing paulb Misc. Chit-Chat 20 January 25th, 2005 10:14 AM
Defender 90 help Todd Defender Technical Discussions 7 August 28th, 2004 07:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Copyright