Throwing up - flu or the new Jeep Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Throwing up - flu or the new Jeep Defender

Found this on Yahoo Italy on the Paris car show - and thought it funny, sad, stomach turning, irritating, and finally chose nice pix.

Well in the photo section on the car show (get past the booth babes) was a bit on JEEP so I took a look and this was there - labeled as a Madrid Car Show Pix 12. They say plagerism is flattery...?

As an asside, why the hell cann't some of these car make it to the US?!! -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Madrid car show d90 Jeep.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7015  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2006, 08:27 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I like how the picture hides the new hood lump... savy...very savy this new ford company is... not to be trusted.
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

You know that Ford is trying desperately to sell off Land Rover, right? Things are going to get worse for LR before they get any better, I can promise you all. Ford even tried to talk Hyundai into buying LR. I swear to God. And they passed on it.

Face it fellas, LR as an offroad icon is a thing of the past. They have been reduced to a small cog in a marketing driven, bottom line conscious, gigantic global automaking conglamerate. And as Defender owners, especially in the US, we've been kicked to the curb and relegated to the role of an ongoing marketing campaign. LRNA will not hesitate to show pics of Defenders in their advertising and sales materials and they train their salespeople to paint an emotional picture of off road adventure and african safaris when they try and sell Freelanders...excuse me LR3's. The next time you're in a dealership, take a look around. There will usually be one D-90 outside on the lot someplace to draw in the curious folks as they drive by on the road, and there may even be an immaculate D-90 in the showroom with an astronomical price tag. (They don't really want to sell it, you see....they just want those who enter to feel an association with that ruggedness and sense of adventure that the Defenders naturally bring. It also helps illustrate how LR's "supposedly" hold their value. Ask a Disco, Freelander or P38 owner how his truck's value is doing these days.)

I hear that LR2's drive really nice on the road. And I'd be lying if I said that my wife and I wouldn't enjoy a new Range Rover with 22" rims to drop off the kids off at school. But as for the Defenders we all know and love/hate as serious offroaders, we're on our own. Especially here in the U.S.A.

The more I think about it, the better a brand new 4-door Jeep Rubicon Unlimited sounds. Blaspheme! I know, I know...
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Are those doors from the G-Wagon???

G-Wagon+Cheap= this
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Maybe we can convince old George at RDS to buy the Defender line when rover shuts it down.
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha. id sign up for a job
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Maybe we can convince old George at RDS to buy the Defender line when rover shuts it down.
lol...
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Well said Thomas. I want to puke every time I hear LaNdRoVerLIfeSTylE!....

Cough CoughBullshit**!
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I agree with Roverboy. Interesting I read in the London Financial Times that MG, you all remember MG right, is now a Chinese brand. An excellent business model to purchase the marquee and build behind it. It works, or it doesn't. But you have the important elements either way of buzz, free press, and all you need to do is support it with a decent set of wheels.

A defender line is what, ~$1 billion to redesign, set shop and manufacture ? Put a European deseil in it for fuel econ and... So who to sell to:

Mini of the Rover group is German, of BMW (demonstrated that sales of 25k units a yr is profitable)
MG is now Chinese - lets wait and see but can they really Fu#@ up worse than Ford?
LR is presently Ford but... they should keep RR as the marquee and dump LR.
Mercedes already promote the G-wagon as an SUV (weird)
Honda - what do they have in the off road segment? Kicked ass in the truck segment and oh so
funny if they took it from Ford and beat them out against the 150 AND with the defender!
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

ECR said the brazil line shut down. Maybe george will buy it.

Ron
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Screehopper
Joey C.
97 Disco 5-sp

Actually, China has a 49% stake and Oklahoma has a 51% stake in MG. So it's not 100% Chinese owned. I read that in the Wall Street Journal I believe.
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
You know that Ford is trying desperately to sell off Land Rover, right? Things are going to get worse for LR before they get any better, I can promise you all. Ford even tried to talk Hyundai into buying LR. I swear to God. And they passed on it.

Face it fellas, LR as an offroad icon is a thing of the past. They have been reduced to a small cog in a marketing driven, bottom line conscious, gigantic global automaking conglamerate. And as Defender owners, especially in the US, we've been kicked to the curb and relegated to the role of an ongoing marketing campaign. LRNA will not hesitate to show pics of Defenders in their advertising and sales materials and they train their salespeople to paint an emotional picture of off road adventure and african safaris when they try and sell Freelanders...excuse me LR3's. The next time you're in a dealership, take a look around. There will usually be one D-90 outside on the lot someplace to draw in the curious folks as they drive by on the road, and there may even be an immaculate D-90 in the showroom with an astronomical price tag. (They don't really want to sell it, you see....they just want those who enter to feel an association with that ruggedness and sense of adventure that the Defenders naturally bring. It also helps illustrate how LR's "supposedly" hold their value. Ask a Disco, Freelander or P38 owner how his truck's value is doing these days.)

I hear that LR2's drive really nice on the road. And I'd be lying if I said that my wife and I wouldn't enjoy a new Range Rover with 22" rims to drop off the kids off at school. But as for the Defenders we all know and love/hate as serious offroaders, we're on our own. Especially here in the U.S.A.

The more I think about it, the better a brand new 4-door Jeep Rubicon Unlimited sounds. Blaspheme! I know, I know...

I agree, this is what I always said about the dealer events. They love for us too show up with our trucks kitted out. then all the accountants and soccer moms can say, yeah my truck can do that too.
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
There will usually be one D-90 outside on the lot someplace to draw in the curious folks as they drive by on the road, and there may even be an immaculate D-90 in the showroom with an astronomical price tag.
Ahhhhh, that explains the (stock) $59,000 110 that's at the American Fork dealer.
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Oklahoma? So do I have to start talkin with a twang? not sure I know how.
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The dash is remeniscent of the Disco I interior the RR Classic got before it went to shit. I wonder what will happen to the Defender since its got that funky LR3 looking setup. That being said if you can still get parts for Series from the 50's I think we will be okay for a few years to come.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
I agree, this is what I always said about the dealer events. They love for us too show up with our trucks kitted out. then all the accountants and soccer moms can say, yeah my truck can do that too.
Don't know any dealerships like that.....hahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wing