Thoughts on galvy chassis? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Question Thoughts on galvy chassis?

Just was doing some research on a galvy swap. I know a few of you are doing complete build-ups. One thing I was wondering, if anyone has any significant experience/understanding with hot dip galvy and how it bonds to the steel frames.

Reason I ask is, I was curious as to how the galvy stands up to the slight tweaking and twisting of the frame.

Also, how long (ballpark) would you expect a galvy frame to last? Can you drill into the galvy and it still retains the rust preventative properties?

Edit: looks like I can answer most of my own questions:

What's the going rate for a NAS frame in good-mint condition?

Old October 17th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi
The company that did mine said that the zinc chemically bonds to the steel, and that it won't chip under flexing. I expect my galvanized chassis to last as long as I do, and I am only 25 . If you drill into the chassis, I would make sure to clear all of the metal shavings, and spray with a galvanizing paint, or waxoyl or similar product. Everywhere I have drilled into my chassis, I just coated the hole heavy with waxoyl when I installed the bolt.

Old October 17th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
Galvanising is generally a good thing if you get all your chassis modifications done before the galvanising. I had an 88" with a galvanised chassis. Brilliant, no rust, no worries, but then I wanted to add bits, side sills etc and as it was a non standard frame mounts would have to be fabricated. How to fix them on the chassis? In the end I sold the truck and got my 90. Slightly rusty but I could and did weld the hell out of it.
Just my two penneth worth!
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat