Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thoughts on a VW Touareg

My wife is in love with this little truck. Does anyone have one on the board? Was looking at a 2008 v6... Need something new for the Baby on the way...
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Congrats!!!!! How can I say this and make sence? Here goes: Its a great car, but its a VW so it sucks hard core. How's that?

They are really nice, but VW's are terrible. Break all the time and are 3-4 times more expensive to fix than a normal car. If you are leasing under a cover everything warranty, go for it. Otherwise, run away.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

From what I've heard, I'd have to agree with Buck. I was interested in the toureg myself and I had a few friends talk me out of it b/c of maintenance issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

I had a fully loaded v8 2005 that was bought back by VW under lemon law, then the replacement bought back by the dealership...one of the worst new car experiences of my life. It was however the first release of the vehicle, so one would assume the major bugs that troubled both of mine have been resolved...my $.02
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

My wife has a 2002 VW Passat V6 4-motion. We have been VERY pleased with this car. Incredible in Maryland snow and Ice. It has never let us down. We bought the 7 year/100k Warranty just in case - but have not needed it. It has been pretty much maintenance free (but we have done all the regular/recommended services). It is going on 6 years old - 90k miles.

We would buy another one...........Just thought I would throw this into the mix. I do not know if All the negative comments are VW specific, or Touareg specific.............

Flagg
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

my wife had a VW New Beetle tdi, complete pos. Was not a Touareg but same make. Every time we had it in for service there where plenty of Touareg owners there. Mechanically we never had a problem, and the fuel mileage was amazing....but everything else sucked. The window regulator when out like 3 times, the window switches fell off the doors, the radio would freak out, the emissions light came on and off with the change of night and day...etc.. But really I have hated everyday or month I should say since we sold it....that's because now when I get the fuel bill every month it is easily into the triple digits. Most of the time I spent under $100 bucks a month for diesel for her car. And she drove over 1000 miles a month. She averaged into the 50 mile per gallon range all the time....hell I am starting to get misty just thinking about it being gone now....

Good luck with your decision. I always wanted the v10 tdi, but couldn't make myself do it after owning hers.
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Almost bought one. (v6) Actually, even drove the dealer demo for a few days and really like it. Then off to read JD Powers and some on-line forums. After all that, the wife chose a Sequoia. She said that one lemon was enough for her. (her prior car was a '98 4.6HSE)

jC
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I don't know about the Tourag... but this talk about VWs being expensive to fix and crap is a bunch of BS.

I have a VW and I'm fairly knowledgeable on them. They are no less reliable than anything else. Part prices are no different than any other car. Anyone who says they are 3-4 times more expensive to fix than any other car has absolutely no clue whatsoever.
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
I don't know about the Tourag... but this talk about VWs being expensive to fix and crap is a bunch of BS.

I have a VW and I'm fairly knowledgeable on them. They are no less reliable than anything else. Part prices are no different than any other car. Anyone who says they are 3-4 times more expensive to fix than any other car has absolutely no clue whatsoever.
try buying wiper blades or spark plugs for one.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It can't be good when a bunch of Rover guys are complaining about the reliability!

Honestly, from what i have seen it is a love it or hate it kind of car. When I was selling rovers I had several traded in that were <1 yr old b/c the owners just hated them so much, but I had a couple people trade them in that were sad to see them go b/c they loved em so much. Our parts manager's wife had 2 passats that she loved. When she was in for service some sales guy made her a deal and she traded it in for a toureg b/c she always wanted one. Less than a month later she hated it and wished she had her passat back. If you look at JD Powers VW is ranked VERY low. I am a big proponent of warranty so I would say that no matter what you should make sure you have a warranty as long as you own it. Make sure she drives it for a few days and is sure she really likes it before you do it (just my $.02).

As a side note...since I have worked in service I just thought that I would stress how important it is to do ALL the scheduled maintenance on a vehicle in warranty. I had a disco with a blown trans come in that had 70k miles on it and was in Rover ext. warranty. Warranty declined the claim b/c they never did the 60k (more importantly, they never did the trans fluid change that goes with the 60k). They might have covered it if the customer had at least had a receipt for a fluid change somewhere but they didn't, so warranty denied the claim!
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At least the thing is available with a diesel engine. Sure, its a fuel hogging V10 that starts at almost 60k, but thats more than can be said for our favorite marque. The way I figure it, a new car is a new car, if you like it, keep it, if it sux, there are built in protections like warranies and lemon laws. Most cars a pretty good really. I mean, Subaru screwed my buddy because the trans in his Forester blew up when he took it with him to an overseas assignment, and Subaru refused to honor the warranty, but it doesnt mean that all Subaru's suck or blow up - it just means I hate them.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90

I have no clue, I only owned one for 5 years.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
try buying wiper blades or spark plugs for one.
Not to mention they are the only car I have ever heard of that needs all new rotors on the first brake job$$$. And how about those energy coils.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks guys.. I would not be buying it for off road or TRUCK purposes.. Just for the snow and mall crawling.... I am also looking at the lexus GX470 which is really nice but more $$ and the Toyota equivelant the Sequoia..
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

T-o-y-o-t-a..
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Toyota (Lexus) doesn't even belong on the same planet as VW. Toyota is just so far superior in almost every measure.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Lexus or Infiniti! What is wrong with the Lexus GX? The GX is closer to the size of a touareg than the LX and will be less exp. The Infiniti FX is a great vehicle too if you don't need off-road abilities. They will both be more reliable, quieter, better looking (IMO) and the Lexus will be more comfortable (Infiniti will probably be about the same comfort level, but much better performance).

I know it is all preference, but I highly recommend taking the time to really look closely at these two.

Good luck!
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

for what its worth, my experience with the VW Tour. was all electrical. The truck drove great, and it wasnt about cost of repairs or parts, but all the electrical nightmares ensued after I drove her off the lot. Every damn thing that could have gone wrong, DID....wipers, nav, park distance, touch locks, onstar, instrument cluster, air suspension...all the cool gadgets ultimately did her in...I have no other experience with any thing else VW...
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:23 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Thanks guys.. I would not be buying it for off road or TRUCK purposes.. Just for the snow and mall crawling.... I am also looking at the lexus GX470 which is really nice but more $$ and the Toyota equivelant the Sequoia..
Not that it really matters I guess, but the LX470 is built on the Land Cruiser platform, and mechanically is virtually identical. Sequoia is a nice truck, but built on the Tacoma platform. It is bigger than the LX/Land Cruiser, but completely different under the skin. The Sequoia is not quite as robust mechanically as the cruiser, nor does it really have the off-road pedigree that the Cruiser/LX does, not that this is part of your criteria, but...

Old September 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Not that it has any bearing on a Toureg, but after the lease ended on my wife's LR3, she decided she wanted something smaller and more fuel efficient. We bought an '06 VW Jetta TDI w/pkg 3 . I have to say, I was a skeptic at first, but I love it now. It has NAV, Sirius, Leather, CD Changer, Sunroof, Automatic. It cost about $38 to fill it up and it has near a 600 mile range (~50 mpg)!!! The annual difference in our fuel cost between the LR3 and the Jetta dropped about $2000 (not joking).

Will
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Not that it really matters I guess, but the LX470 is built on the Land Cruiser platform, and mechanically is virtually identical. Sequoia is a nice truck, but built on the Tacoma platform. It is bigger than the LX/Land Cruiser, but completely different under the skin. The Sequoia is not quite as robust mechanically as the cruiser, nor does it really have the off-road pedigree that the Cruiser/LX does, not that this is part of your criteria, but...
Okay, that was suppose to be that the Sequoia is built on the TUNDRA platform, not the Tacoma platform. I was too late to edit my post, and apparently not really with it this AM..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht