Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 16th, 2016, 03:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Thoughts of selling?

Lately, I have been thinking about selling my 90... I don't need to and don't necessarily want to.

I have seen a few other wrestle with this decision.

My truck has been modified, everything can be undone... I have almost all of the parts to bring it back to stock.

I bought it in 2003 with 46K on the clock, now it has $57K on it. It spends 99% of the time living in the garage.

It's too valuable to wheel any more, so I am building a 100" hybrid and most of the parts will be moved over to it.

I know that everyone that sells their truck regrets it. I sill miss my wifes' 97 SW.

Thoughts on what to do, or thoughts on pricing (as is vs mostly stock?)

There is no rust on the truck at all... NONE. The paint is perfect, the stickers will come off with no issues. The cage is perfect and so on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1997 Defender.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	157736  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2016, 03:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

What is on it now for mods? With that low miles stock would be best in my view for resale.
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
What is on it now for mods? With that low miles stock would be best in my view for resale.

I just added the picture.

It has a lot of bolt on stuff... ARB's, every skidplate and protection option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2016, 03:09 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

There's no doubt about it: if you want to sell it, take it back as close as you can get to stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
No opinion on pricing your truck. I'd love to see more pictures of it though. Looks great!

Chris is right. If you have the ability to go back to stock, it will absolutely be worth the effort in terms of resale value.
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Scott, I think you will regret it.

If it's not bleeding you dry or costing any money at all for that matter (sans insurance, taxes, etc.), hold onto it. The current values would be tempting, but how many times are you going to get to own quite possibly the most popular 90 configuration for the kind of money you have in it?

I don't know, but I've sold several trucks now and seriously regret selling all but one of them.
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would make it stock and keep it.

Just use the 100 for wheeling.

You will get good money for it now but if you don't care why bother.
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Everything off, new set of flares, you won't get any money for any of it and as it it will sell for much less than stock.
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Tisdales old 90? Rip.
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:41 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Is this post a humble brag version of an ad or a question? Just sell it for max cash. At best you profit, at worst you blow all the money you make on your "wheeling rig". Or a Porsche...

IMHO, I don't see much of a crisis here....aside from the eventual ire of D90 trolls that comes from selling a truck, it's just an economic decision.

Asking for value on here is problematic. The only real answer you'll get here is "Your truck is worth $10,000 at best. By the way, here's a check for $8,000."
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:52 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

I think your answer lies in the fact you miss a Defender, while you have a Defender. Hard Top / Soft Top arguments aside, if you need the money sell it, if you don't need the money, keep it.

If you have extra money, get an aluminum hard top for it. Then you can amuse yourself with deciding when to put the aluminum top on, and when to remove it....
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

There's a classic quote on Discoweb that I've lived by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho
Vehicles come and go. That's how it is. Just stay faithful to your woman.

/
/
/
/
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
There's a classic quote on Discoweb that I've lived by:
Pretty sure Ho has that backwards.

Women come and go. That's how it is. Just stay faithful to your vehicles.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:04 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdoc View Post
Tisdales old 90? Rip.
No, mine is not Tisdales... Although, I wheeled with him a lot at the Uwharrie events.

Only the good die young..

Old September 16th, 2016, 04:25 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
What would you do with the money? If put it in the bank or savings towards retirement, etc... then don't sell it. No point at all in doing that.
If pay for your kids college education....don't sell it. That's why they have student loans.
If you're going to go on a trip of a lifetime....don't sell it. Just go!

Point is ......DONT SELL IT!!!
You will without question regret selling that truck.
If you're a die hard Defender fan, and I'm sure you are like the rest of us stupid bastards, then this is one you keep till your dying day.

Good luck with your decision although it should be an easy one.

Cheers!
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:38 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Don't do it Scott - that truck is too much a part of you. It needs to be at the Solaros SAE event in November. When you're an "old guy" just think how much fun you'll have bombing around town in the thing. Plus your kids will be really mad at you when they get older.

When I was growing up in Sandy Springs the architect/builder for most of the homes in our neighborhood lived around the corner. Earl had a white 1947 Willys Jeep that he had bought new. It was great to see this 80+ year old guy with shoulder length white hair roaring around in that Jeep with the windshield folded down on the hood and a big grin on on his face. You could tell he was really enjoying himself and it was one of the reasons that I fell in love with Land Rovers. An early Series truck or an open flat fender Jeep just can't help but look like fun. Your D-90 will give you the same feeling - especially when you're giving grand kids a ride in it.
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well everything you take off it you can use on the 100 in theory. You will still have a truck to wheel. That said if you miss the stock 97 why not keep this one once you take it back to stock ?

I have seen you do some pretty amazing stuff with this truck. Shame to see it go.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old September 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Don't do it Scott - that truck is too much a part of you. It needs to be at the Solaros SAE event in November. When you're an "old guy" just think how much fun you'll have bombing around town in the thing. Plus your kids will be really mad at you when they get older.

When I was growing up in Sandy Springs the architect/builder for most of the homes in our neighborhood lived around the corner. Earl had a white 1947 Willys Jeep that he had bought new. It was great to see this 80+ year old guy with shoulder length white hair roaring around in that Jeep with the windshield folded down on the hood and a big grin on on his face. You could tell he was really enjoying himself and it was one of the reasons that I fell in love with Land Rovers. An early Series truck or an open flat fender Jeep just can't help but look like fun. Your D-90 will give you the same feeling - especially when you're giving grand kids a ride in it.
Thanks Jack!

Old September 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post

Says Jack who's selling the one off uber rare porsche he's owned most of his adult life

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old September 16th, 2016, 05:18 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Says Jack who's selling the one off uber rare porsche he's owned most of his adult life
Yeah but how many Land Rovers are ever going to be worth anywhere near what a one-off Porsche 4-cam Carrera is? I am keeping my two Series Land Rovers which have almost as much sentimental value for me as the Porsche. I just got the British Motor Heritage Certificates on the two old Land Rovers yesterday. The 67 was originally Wimpey Yellow and was built on April 13th, 1967. The 66 109 diesel was built on June 30, 1965.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche & 1966 109 LR.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	157739  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht