Thinking of selling my Defender...Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Thinking of selling my Defender...Help!

I have been tossing around the idea of selling my Defender and getting a new 04 Freelander SE3. My wife and I also currently own a Disco II. I love the Defender, but I'm really really torn on this one. What do you guys think? The little Hippo is pretty sweet. I know...I will probably end up getting another Defender...as I have already owned 3.

I have a love-hate relationship with my 90. Love to drive it around town. Hate it as my daily driver. Love to drive it to the beach. Hate having to drive it in traffic or long distances. Love being able to hose off the inside. Hate it because it doesn't have better acoutrements (better heat, comfortable seating, etc). You guys know what I mean.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I'm sure you'll be regretting it eventually. It's hard enough to part with a Defender but for a Freelander?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

If you get the Freelander, atleast you won't have to worry about ripping pants seats/beltloops out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2004, 07:27 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Well, do whatever makes comfortable D90's are great trucks, however, I don't think ST's were meant to be daily driven. Did you think about trading the ST for a 97 SW?
I drove the SE3, they are fun trucks but will never own one. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and it was major PITA in get in and out the SE3, plus head room and leg room sucked big time.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I say go for the freelander, and let us know if all the other folks at the grocery store and kids soccer match are as friendly as Defender owners can be off-road.

Seriously though, you will regret it. Perhaps add to the stable without parting with anything?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Brian, I know what you are going through. My 90 and I have been together for 10 years now and often has been put into daily use between cars. Between the jolting ride, leaking roof, pretend heater, and for me, lack of A/C... I sometimes am jealous of the beat up Civic next to me at the light. Mine almost went on the chopping block recently due to 1st baby on the way, sold my Disco, and trading the wife's Z3 instead.... (I had the 90 before the wife). Anyway, I say suffer through until you can make it a weekend only vehicle, these 90s are getting more collectible (and valuable) everyday. Good luck!
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I have a 97 ST b/c of the automatic and I drive mine everyday. I usually put on about 500-600 miles per week. Yeah its loud, so I bought a louder stereo. It leaks so I bought the gutter kit and door seal kit. The heater sucks, but who needs a heater in So Cal. It gets crappy mileage, but thats the price you have to pay to enjoy every minute of your drive. I think this vehicle is made for So Cal. I think you will regret it if you trade it for a HIPPO.
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Brian, the problems you have with your 90 are nothing that a little money won't solve. Buy better seats, upgrade the heater matrix or even add another heater, buy a better soft top, add AC if you really need it. Add soundproofing and a better stereo. You will probably regret the purchase of a Freelander. They are nice vehicles, but they have no character, and the amount those things depreciate in a year is about as much as your truck has depreciated in 10 years.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM
howellm70
Michael Howell

I'm with Chris on this - most problems and annoyances of owning a defender can be severly reduced if not completely eliminated. I hated the road noise so I added sound proofing - can I still hear the road? yes, but its very manageable now. Likewise I'm in the process of installing a 2nd heater so I can actually drive in the winter without a parka and gloves.

Yes you can always get another 90 later but nice ones are becoming rarer by the day...not to mention more expensive.
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:02 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Thanks guys...I really appreciate and value your input on this one! I am going to keep it!
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:58 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Either upgrade to a 97 auto SW or don't sell. The fact that you're an owner and you're here means you should continue to be an owner. Cheers to a decision well made!
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

I have had both...

I had a Freelander (wifes car) but then it had mechanical issues (LRNA was VERY cool and helped me out of it), that aside, it was an OK vehicle but NOT EVEN close to a D90, so I bought a Disco for the wife (loves it) and we share the D90. I just picked up a 97 ST this weekend and I must say is better than the 94', mainly because of the auto and optional hard top...

The 97' is definitely a keeper, I will be asking many ?'s to the board over the next few months as I try to install the soft top, new suspension and mess with a new sound system !!

KEEP THE D90 !!!
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:33 PM
cdnpaul
Paul
None

I've had similar thoughts lately as we have a 1 year old and another baby due in September. Over the last few months I've gone back and forth. If I could afford a 2nd vehicle there would be no issue. Luckily, my wife has a Passat wagon so we have one practical vehicle.

Here are my conclusions:
1. I would be depressed if I sold my D90 (I certainly was the first time I sold one)
2. I don't know of any other vehicles out there that you can drive daily and they don't depreciate
3. The D90 is unique and very cool to drive (thanks to Art mine is less cool in the winter)
4. Life is too short to only drive a boring mass market vehicle
5. I can still have a baby seat in the front in a pinch
6. I'll eventually be able to afford a 2nd vehicle
7. Summer will be here soon and I never have these thoughts when I have the roof off
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:31 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

good points

Hi,
We just had a baby 7 mos. ago, since the D90 has no airbags, the little one had ridden shotgun with me in an approved car seat. In the summer, my wife says at 1 year old, he can ride with the top down, I can't wait.

D90, only way to go...

Jan
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:54 PM
mlepisto
Mika
Defender

The heater thing can be fixed quite simply and isn't very expensive.

Option 1) I put on a radiator muff from RN which cost about $35. Heats up much faster, and when warm the heater output is better.

Option 2) I've also just ordered a "heater air scoop" from the UK which should help the air flow and is around the $60 range. I've always found that the heat output temp was fine just the airflow is lathargic. The scoop should take care of that.

Option 3) Have a custom copper heater core made. Should only be around $200-250 and the heat transfer is almost as good as aluminum, and much better than the stock core at any rate. I've been looking for a donor core to have some produced locally for sale, but haven't found a dead core to use for a pattern yet.

Option 4) Also, you can get a "gas curtain" that installs to the rollbar behind the front seats which will help keep the warm air in the front. Wouldn't be very nice to the rear seat passengers though!

Mika

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat