Thinking about buying a cannibal v8? I'd check this out - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:54 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

All this keeps making the LS swap using a crate motor and tranny seem like the much better way to go..

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:55 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I've driven a CV8 and have recommended them to a few satisfied people. While I'm sure there's slip ups with every Rover V8 rebuilder, I haven't experienced anything in person.

We put one in for a customer in Richmond and it leaked badly after about a year. They wouldn't warranty the head gaskets unless the customer paid us to pull the motor and ship it to them. I've posted pics before, they are on my Flickr page.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:00 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
I bought a Cannibal 4.6 for my install. The people I paid to install it totally dropped the ball so I don't have it running right yet.

If I had it to do over I would have done the LS. But if my new guy can get this 4.6 working properly I will be happy with it.
have the shop drop the oil pan and look at the bottom end…check to see if it was actually re-built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
All this keeps making the LS swap using a crate motor and tranny seem like the much better way to go..
There's truly no downside to the LS. The main reason I went with the Rover motor is I made the decision 1.5 years ago and things have changed a lot in 1.5 years.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
There's truly no downside to the LS.
The downside is complexity of the swap. Even with all of Nick's great work, there is still a lot of work required to properly get an LS4 and 6 speed fully functional in a Defender. The end result is much nicer. But if you have a Rover V8 already in the truck, swapping in a larger displacement Rover V8 is pretty simple.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:11 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The downside is complexity of the swap. Even with all of Nick's great work, there is still a lot of work required to properly get an LS4 and 6 speed fully functional in a Defender. The end result is much nicer. But if you have a Rover V8 already in the truck, swapping in a larger displacement Rover V8 is pretty simple.
I would think the benefits would outweigh the complexity. I've thought for years of going to a 4.6 or a Diesel. Im more convinced converting to a LS makes more sense in the US than anything else.

Im sure bad swap can cause headaches. Im just weary of spending 10K or more for any rover V8.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:26 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
honestly its not that complicated.. Im a shade tree mechanic at best and was able to do it entirely on my own. There was a bit of a learning curve for Nick and I since my truck was the first ROW truck to get the swap but nothing major. If i can do it anyone can. pull out the old lump... bolt in the new one and run 4 wires from your new harness. I just ticked over 3000 miles since the conversion and it still makes me smile every time i drive it. i was not paid for this endorsement
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
... bolt in the new one and run 4 wires from your new harness.
What about...cooling system, exhaust, shifter, throttle, gauges, intake system, fuel suuply, power steering? How many hours were put into it before everything was correct? I'm not trying to dissuade people. I just think there needs to be a fair and accurate accounting of the costs and labour involved so that they can make a real judgement. I have not seen anyone do that.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:18 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
What about...cooling system, exhaust, shifter, throttle, gauges, intake system, fuel suuply, power steering? How many hours were put into it before everything was correct? I'm not trying to dissuade people. I just think there needs to be a fair and accurate accounting of the costs and labour involved so that they can make a real judgement. I have not seen anyone do that.
Of course I'm over simplifying it but it really wasn't hard. I didnt keep track of my hours but worked nights and weekends and probably took me a couple months to finish.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:42 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have a Cannibalv8 in my 1997 D90. I have over 13,000 miles on it since Nov, 2015. Gas mileage is worse than the 4.0 is the only complaint; it could be my driving. That D90 with the 4.6 can now do 0-60 in about 8 seconds.

I did it to keep it "original" since its a NAS.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:35 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

1 out 5…

and Red is right, it's the little things that bring up the price of a swap…
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:58 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
1 out 5…

and Red is right, it's the little things that bring up the price of a swap…
Can't agree more.

a lot of "little things"...

Once done, people have tendency to simplify things.

Simple swaps aren't really simple swaps when you are working on something that is over 25 years old with rusts.

I feel like every bolts I undo, I feel I need to replace them to be safe. I am replacing almost all bolts and nuts that I undid.

Straight swap is taking me 5 times more time and money than I thought. Bolts, nuts, and studs alone add up to hundreds in my simple swap that turned into semi restoration job.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:15 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Different Cannibal Motor but more pics of their quality work. This one knocked from day one and had oil pressure issues. Cannibal did not stand behind their product in any way. The knocking was the pistons smacking off the top hat liners. Wrist pins were bound up and the final insult to injury on this 5.0 Performance build? Standard 4.6 parts all the way through.... No grind to the crank and stock rods, pistons appear to be aftermarket stock replacement. Still digging on that.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:37 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
So how is it hey are still in business?

I haven't built a motor in almost 30 years, but am seriously considering building a 4.6 from scratch to suit my needs when mine lets go. Already looking at parts to start hoarding.

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk
Old December 23rd, 2016, 08:39 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

No idea, there is another one on landroverforums that it snapped a timing chain and spit out its cam bearings.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:40 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
I bought my 4.6 short block from Rover Cannibal in 2010. Reused my old heads from the 4.0. My BRG NAS D90 is my daily driver today and has gotten me through college with no issues, and I probably have 60,000miles on it now. I solved an oil priming issue when first starting up and extremely cold out with a new paper oil sump pickup gasket. Other parts (i.e. lifters) came from AB back before they started selling complete engines. I had a Land Rover Master technician (not at the dealer) do the swap/install. Considering the negative experiences people have had with Cannibal I would probably recommend just getting a new engine from Atlantic British which wasn't an option when my 4.0 threw a rod after having a leaking head gasket. Next best alternative IMO would be a used 4.0-4.6 out of a GEMS Discovery, rebuilt I've heard they're good motors. Personally I'm not sold on putting GM LS motors in NAS Defenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3050.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	183545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3053.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	183553  

Old May 10th, 2017, 02:28 AM
Josh Ashcroft
Joshua
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Of course I'm over simplifying it but it really wasn't hard. I didnt keep track of my hours but worked nights and weekends and probably took me a couple months to finish.
Months?!? That sounds like a nightmare. Rover V8 swap takes a weekend. I'm tyring of the Rove V8 and I'm trying to convince myself an LS makes sense over a 4.6 or something when the time comes, but the more I dig the less I'm sure. I'd just as soon keep my LT77 for one thing. I just want a 250hp Aluminum block V8 that's less prone to blowing my gaskets and dropping sleeves. Oh and maybe gets north of 10mpg. And I loved my LS Corvette.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:17 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

I bought a Cannibal V8 4.6 for my Defender in 2014. I have 2800 miles on it and it runs great.

I had a major problem with the shop that installed it for me and they did a total garbage job. I found a new mechanic and Cannibal was extremely supportive with phone calls and information helping my new mechanic getting the motor re-built.

Now my local Rover dealer does my service. It's really nice.

You cannot swap out a carburated 3.5 for a fuel injected 4.6 with a new transmission and drive shafts and wiring harness etc. in a weekend. Where does this information come from?
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Josh Ashcroft
Joshua
1986 110

Quote:
I bought a Cannibal V8 4.6 for my Defender in 2014. I have 2800 miles on it and it runs great.

I had a major problem with the shop that installed it for me and they did a total garbage job. I found a new mechanic and Cannibal was extremely supportive with phone calls and information helping my new mechanic getting the motor re-built.

Now my local Rover dealer does my service. It's really nice.

You cannot swap out a carburated 3.5 for a fuel injected 4.6 with a new transmission and drive shafts and wiring harness etc. in a weekend. Where does this information come from?

Who said new transmission and fuel injection and driveshafts? In fact I explicitly said I don't want to change the transmission. I just said Rover V8. And if you ran an aftermarket bolt on fuel injection you probably still could do it in a weekend if you had it pre installed on the engine, but again I'm considering keeping mine carbureted. I see engines swapped in days all the time. Is this really that crazy of an assertion? That's what I'm getting at - you don't have to do all that other crap if you keep it with a similar engine.

So let me get this straight. Putting an LS into a Rover is the easiest thing in the world but replacing your Rover V8 with a rebuilt Rover V8, forget about it, too much work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:43 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ashcroft View Post
Who said new transmission and fuel injection and driveshafts? In fact I explicitly said I don't want to change the transmission. I just said Rover V8. And if you ran an aftermarket bolt on fuel injection you probably still could do it in a weekend if you had it pre installed on the engine, but again I'm considering keeping mine carbureted. I see engines swapped in days all the time. Is this really that crazy of an assertion? That's what I'm getting at - you don't have to do all that other crap if you keep it with a similar engine.

So let me get this straight. Putting an LS into a Rover is the easiest thing in the world but replacing your Rover V8 with a rebuilt Rover V8, forget about it, too much work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really didn't clarify all the details in your original post. "The divil is in the details". Most folks doing a 4.6 conversion aren't leaving everything else bone stock. In fact, I've never even heard of anyone doing such a thing.

Installing a 4.6 with a carb and original transmission is a bunch of work for very little return. Why do all of that when all the other parts could be easily swapped out while you're in there and the truck is apart anyway. Might as well pull that firewall out and paint it while you're in there too. The stock 3.5 parts aren't going to work well with the 4.6 anyways. They're gonna crap out.

If you have your own garage, the "ultimate set of tools" and a best friend who is Yoda when it comes to engine conversions then MAYBE you could swap a 4.6 leaving everything else original in a weekend. But like I said..... what's the point?

An LS swap is "major surgery". Anyone saying otherwise has never done it or trying to sell you something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
buying, nib, v8