Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
Thinking About Buying a 280 SL

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Mercedes 280 SL. I want a fun convertible and I've always thought of the 280 SL to as a classic. I've found a couple online but there seems to be massive variances in the prices. I know that some are restored and some aren't and that the miles have and condition are a factor in the price but I can't figure out why some are so cheap and others so expensive. Does anyone have any experience with these cars and why there might be such differences. Is there a certain year that is more desirable? Is there anything that I should look for or avoid? I'd appreciate any input or advice.

Thank you,
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:45 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I helped my brother with the process a few years ago. Check www.motoringinvestments.com to learn a bit. Like a defender prices can vary greatly based on condition. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. You can get plenty of enjoyment out of a driver that is cheap and slowly restore it You just want a good numbers matching, rust free car to start if you go that route. You end up paying more restoring yourself but you can take your time. Personally I would want to find an all original one in awesome shape with great records over a restored one. Only original once.
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:01 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I'd give these guys a call. Their inventory tends to be top of the line but they know the 280 SL market.

http://www.hatchandsons.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Nice. I used to go to the Mercedes dealer as a teenager and drool over the 280SL's. My dad said he'd like to buy us (me) one but $7,000 was way more than anything he could afford.
I still wish we had our '58 220S with the Webasto sunroof.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I had a '68 280 euro model with a 4 speed manual. Loved that car and really miss it. Car was cherry and I sold it for (gulp) 16k back in 94. The only silver lining is i sold it to purchase the 90. I have been watching the value of these sky rocket. Get one and you will love it. My favorite body style of the SLs.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I'd guess that "D90 Boy" here could help with that. Copley Motorcars always seems to have a decent turnover of vintage euro cars on hand.

If you ever want to go a different route (from the same era) and are looking for a BMW 3.0 CSI I could help you with that, but I don't know anything about the pagoda models aside from the fact that there are typical trouble rust spots. THey are gorgeous cars. I would always end up next to on or near one when showing the '72 3.0 CSI at events. Actually, I think they were built much better than BMWs of that era (back when Mercedes was Mercedes, not a Lexus as it is today).

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2012 08:31 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
I'd give these guys a call. Their inventory tends to be top of the line but they know the 280 SL market.

http://www.hatchandsons.com/

I forgot about them because I thought they sold the business, but that is an excellent suggestion Gary.

There was another guy up here in the northeast that I met through the vintage Porsche world that specialized in early Mercedes (Gullwingsearch dot com or something like that) Thought he was in Framingham (right near Hatch), but I can't remember because this was about 10 years ago.

Hatch & Sons and Copley would be a good place to start.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
Thanks for all the advice. I'm on the fence between getting a 280 Sl or a newer AMG model but that is a different story. The issue with the AMG would be that I'm younger so the insurance would be exorbitant and if I could pay the insurance I would probably end up crashing anyway.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley423 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'm on the fence between getting a 280 Sl or a newer AMG model but that is a different story. The issue with the AMG would be that I'm younger so the insurance would be exorbitant and if I could pay the insurance I would probably end up crashing anyway.
Wow! talk about Dr. Dr. Jeckyl (or Mr. Hyde actually) and, um well.... Mr. Bean!
Don't know what your're trying to accomlish, but there is no way a 280sl would be practical as a daily, or to make runs to NYC. Obviously in a perfect world, you'd have both, but sounds like you need to do some benefit analysis quickly.

If you've already got a Defender and this would be a second car, I hate to say it but you've got to go with a newer car. You are already probably spending a lot of you rspare time keeping up with your D as it is! Another vehicle that rusts when you even sweat near it is not going to help your leisure time any.

Keep in mind, a nice 280sl will be parking in front of the restaurant/club every time over a new Bentley or AMG.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Isn't 280 Sl by itself a rather broad class? Which years are you looking at? Weren't they called the same thing from the late 60s-70s as well as the 80s?
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
I'm looking at the W 113 model (1967- 1971)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Isn't 280 Sl by itself a rather broad class? Which years are you looking at? Weren't they called the same thing from the late 60s-70s as well as the 80s?
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley423 View Post
I'm looking at the W 113 model (1967- 1971)
Oh, OK that narrows it down a bit. Another source: I grew up near The Stable, Ltd in Gladstone, NJ and they always seemed to have a rolling stock of them, although none at the moment. There are a ton of them in the area in private collections, that are often sold through them.

http://www.stableltd.com/inventory.aspx

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
280 sl, benz, buying, mercedes