Thinking about a new All Mountain Bike - Santa Cruz 5010? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:18 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Thinking about a new All Mountain Bike - Santa Cruz 5010?

I am looking at picking up an All Mountain Bike... I like the Santa Cruz 5010. Any experience or other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:31 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

If you're concerned with weight, try one of these…

If you prefer creature comforts (seat, cranks, bars) and money is no object, look into LiteSpeed.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:35 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Sweet! I'm too much of a klutz and know I'd brake my face on that, but it looks fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Never been disappointed with any Santa Cruz I've owned. The VPP system works very well, although as with any multi pivot bike can have a fair bit of mud build up on the links especially the bottom link. Just a bit more cleaning needed, but worth the performance. I would probably consider something like that if I weren't on wagon wheels ... 29"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:05 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Never been disappointed with any Santa Cruz I've owned. The VPP system works very well, although as with any multi pivot bike can have a fair bit of mud build up on the links especially the bottom link. Just a bit more cleaning needed, but worth the performance. I would probably consider something like that if I weren't on wagon wheels ... 29"
Agree - Santa Cruz makes some really nice mtn bikes. And have for a long time. I don't know anything about the 5010 but just read up about it on a PinkBike review. It sounds like you couldn't go wrong with it. I demo'd a SC Bronson last summer in VT - super fast and fun but I wanted something a little more poppy. But that bike rode so well and at times I think I should have gone with a Bronson 650b instead of being cheap and getting a used 26" Turner 5 Spot. (Although with 650s coming out used 26's are cheap even Turners)

Honestly you can't get a bad bike these days. Brakes, drivetrain, suspension and geo is very well figured out. These modern 650 trail bikes are nimble, climb like goats and descend like DH rigs from not many years ago. And the pink bike review sounded real good - I would go for it.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

It's all about fit... Different strokes for different folks. Santa Cruz, ibis, yeti, intense, specialized (yes them too),... All great bikes I tested a lot and I was surprised one in particular fit me so well compared to the others. Gotta get out and ride, go to demo days. Big bucks now a days. Can't go wrong with any of them and so many other brands...
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:23 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'm weird I guess, I'm still rocking my 12 year old GT Tequesta

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:25 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Like we used to say in the Schwinn store...it's not the bike, it's the motor.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:57 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Like we used to say in the Schwinn store...it's not the bike, it's the motor.
Well - I guess I might be like some of the motors in our Defenders - a little tired and needing all the help I can get

I had a 2005 Sinister single pivot sussy bike before I got the Turner and thought I wouldn't need anything else. That is until I demo rode the Bronson.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Thanks for all the feedback. The local shop has a demo program, $70 for 72 hrs and if you decide to buy a bike they will apply the $70 towards the balance. I am going to take the 5010 for the weekend and see how I like it.

Also the 5010 is formerly known as the SOLO before copyright issues made Santa Cruz change the name.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
If you're concerned with weight, try one of these…

If you prefer creature comforts (seat, cranks, bars) and money is no object, look into LiteSpeed.

What is that Bo and where can someone get it?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:14 PM
willhahn24
William
1995 D90 SW #450

I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er about two years ago and am in love! I rode about 20 bikes before I decided but the second I hopped on the Stumpjumper I knew she was coming home with me. One of my friends bought the demo bike and got a great deal on it....might be worth exploring.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:46 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

What is your budget and how serious are you.

I will use myself as an example: I'm getting back into mtn biking. Currently I ride a 2006 Soul Cycle Titan 2.0 frame and I built it up. Overall, the bike is awesome but its a hard tail and I'd like to get into a full suspension. Right now I'm riding about 15 miles off road a week. For those out west, this isn't anything but here in the confines of the east coast, that is some riding. Its all single track with obstacles out the ying yang and IT IS FUN. Its like, wheeling, but faster, and if you can't get up an obstacle, you fall over. That part sucks but I just lay there, curse my face off for a few minutes then get going again.

I got looking at a Trek Fuel EX series (I'm a trek fanboy). They start at $2k but...ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssss very nice. If I keep riding as much as I plan to, then yes, this is optimal. Its capable and durable to the kind of crap I'm going to put it through.

If I buy this bike, I'll probably be more apt to throwing it on the back of the 109 and hitting trails after wheeling (assuming such are available) or taking mtn designated trips. I've done a bit with my titan, but my equipment is a bit lacking (all my friends are on full suspension and I see the benefits).

In the past I've had $500 mountain bikes (before the Titan) and you gotta be ok with getting beat up and getting left in the dust. Their short comings come REAL fast once you leave grated roads/paths.

That is the key, get something good enough that you will actually enjoy. If its crap, you won't ride it. I see it all the time. Heavy, cheap, crappy bikes get left behind and not ridden. I've paid good $$$ for all of my bikes but I have no desire to get rid of any of them. I enjoy riding all of them.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Devinci Troy Carbon XP (if you can find one in stock)

You can get a carbon Troy with the RS Pike for the same cost as the base aluminum 5010. Not sure where you ride or how hard, but out here in CO the Pike is light-years better than the 32 Fox. I've had mine for a few months now and love it.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Don't know about the 5010 but have a Blur LT and love it. Good luck Kenny.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:10 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
What is that Bo and where can someone get it?

Might be one of these.

www.dirtsurfer.com/en/productsdirt_int.asp
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
You are correct, it is a Dirtsurfer. I picked up both the 16" freestyle and the 20" downhill boards while in Germany. They are great to get ready for surfing/wakeboard/snowboard seasons.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:01 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
You are correct, it is a Dirtsurfer. I picked up both the 16" freestyle and the 20" downhill boards while in Germany. They are great to get ready for surfing/wakeboard/snowboard seasons.
I was curious, so I looked it up. It does look like you're surfing - hands behind you're back and everything. You look comfy. I'm not into biking like I was in my 20s, so I'm kinda out of the loop on the new models and brands. I have a few friends and family members who are enthusiasts and racers. Sis did the AIDS/Lifecycle, cousin did the Tour De France, friends like the Hotter'n Hell and Tour de Rouge. A few of my paddling girlfriends do the Tour Divide. It's always fun hearing about their experience and stories - like peddling while sleeping. Why not? We sleep paddle.
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
specialized stumpjumpers are hard to beat in terms of value ive always liked the santa cruz vpp bikes. its amazing how fast mtb technology has progressed since i was riding

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount