There is a new guy in the Locker Market.... - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Sorry to hear that Terry. My tests were intended to check the operation of the Kaiser to see if it was working correctly, but it looks like I was too late. If I come across one fitted to a manual truck I will let you know what if any comments the owner has on its operation just for interests sake. Unless somebody else has any input on the Kaiser fitted to a manual D90/110, RR or Disco 1? Pantelis, Dave, have either of you fitted one to a manual truck yet?

Before Red90 gets all bent out of shape I presume the costs you mention where associated with having your guy install and remove the unit from your truck, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Phil Rosa-Leeke
Phil Rosa-Leeke
1999/Range Rover P38

Thumbs up

Hi Ian, just came across this forum today (Dave Ashcroft sent me the link), well done with what you've said about the Kaisers, really thinking about getting a pair for my P38. I'm not a hard ball when it comes to going off road, but I do need something other than DLs or ARBs and these sound just the job. Plonk 'em in and forget 'em sort of.

BTW, sent you and e-mail.

Phil
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

Hi Ian. Yes, the costs I am referring to is the cost of installation of the first kaiser, the un-installation of first and installation of the replacement kaiser, then the un-installation of the replacement kaiser and the re-installation of the original carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Hi Phil, welcome to the board. I got your email and replied.

Thx Terry, I thought that was what you meant. Like I said I will keep an ear to the ground for anybody with a manual set up and let you know what I hear.

Laters

Ian
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Well, this thread appears to have gone afield of the original KAISER issue. Nevertheless, I thought that I should tell everybody that (unfortunately, before I read of Ian's suggested experiments) I just had the Kaiser removed from the rear end of my manual transmission '94 D90 yesterday, and the original carrier was re-installed. It is back to normal and is the joy to drive that I experienced before I installed the Kaiser. Thus, I know (again) that the issue was NOT with my truck.

Again, I invite the guys from Brazil to come to Norman Oklahoma to dissect the problem at their expense, but I'm not putting anymore money or time into it. I just love driving my Defender again.

Are they letting you return the locker for a refund?

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Like I said I will keep an ear to the ground for anybody with a manual set up and let you know what I hear.
Just curious as to what reason people can think that the gearbox affects the operation of the locker?
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Phil Rosa-Leeke
Phil Rosa-Leeke
1999/Range Rover P38

Hi MAX (Terry),

Been reading your wows with the lockers and it got me thinking a tad. I'm no mechanic and I wouldn't not know the difference unless someone pointed it out to me, but, by what I have read and by what one of the guys at Kaiser told me over the phone, some differentials need some sort of a plate added extra to the diffs when being fitted.

Just a though, but it might be nice if it was just something simple like that to sort your probs out.

Phil
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:14 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Just curious as to what reason people can think that the gearbox affects the operation of the locker?
On the surface it shouldn't. It's a mechanical device that operates around the direction of applied force. Force into the carrier from the driveline has to be transmitted to the center and out to the wheels. Force from the wheels into the center out to the carrier and towards the driveline will allow one side to overrun.

That said, there are different characteristics in the application of force between a stick and an auto as Charles mentioned. That 'shouldn't' make any difference but not having a stick at the moment I can't say I've personally tested it.

My understanding from talking to the manufacturer and the limited research I could do (I don't read Portuguese or Spanish) on the SA forums and stuff is that its been around for about 5 years down there. The V8/Auto application is the new one for them as most of their trucks are sticks and diesels. So its been fitted to many more stick trucks than Autos without this type of problem being mentioned before that I found. That said, the different torque curve and characteristics of a my V8/Auto showed up an issue with the units in the front that made them develop and ship a new type of front unit.

Guess we need to wait for somebody to fit one to another Manual truck and see what they have to say?
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Phil Rosa-Leeke
Phil Rosa-Leeke
1999/Range Rover P38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rosa-Leeke View Post
Hi MAX (Terry),

...some differentials need some sort of a plate added extra to the diffs when being fitted...
Take a look at the chart here: http://www.kaiserlocker.com/en/produ.../aplicacao.asp It's all in English so no worries there.

Phil
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

Interesting about the possible "plate" being necessary. In my email exchanges with the Brazilian guy of Kaiser nothing was ever mentioned about anything like that or any sort of necessary modifications whatsoever.
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Phil Rosa-Leeke
Phil Rosa-Leeke
1999/Range Rover P38

Hi Max,

This is what Dave Ashcroft told me I might need on my P38, the Spacer Ring on the following page:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...&productId=128

Phil
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Don't worry. It would be physically impossible to fit the wrong diff to the wrong casing without a spacer, so that was not your problem.
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
People stopped taking pictures in 2003?

Just messing with you. I would love to come out there for a weekend with you guys!!

However, you are aware that you have thrown down the gauntlet and I will be pulling off the red labels and slamming on a set of 33s with 40psi in them just to make you eat your words!! Lol.

It's ON...Let me know...looking for a set of 40's for my D2...
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Terabyte One10
Matteo
Defender Td5 110 Crew Cab M.Y. 2002

I read almost all the posts in this discussion, but I don't understand 1 thing: why the kaiser should be better than an ARB?

Due to the necessity of install an OBA system?

How do you pump up your tyres without an OBA (compressor or pressurized tank)??? On the other side: wich kind of offroad requires 2 lockers without airing down tyres?

As said in many posts, Kaiser locker would be interesting if cheaper (very cheaper) than an ARB or an Aschroft Air Locker (that seems to be superior to ARB due to the different locking system and air system).
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:43 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Many here in the US run a CO2 Tank set up rather than an on board plumbed in compressor to air up their tires. Many more just use a plug in or direct to battery 12v compressor. Some do have a plumbed in air system either with an electric or engine driven compressor. Yes you can use CO2 to operate the lockers and some do but then you have the cost of pnuematic switche(s), etc. Some wouldn't want to run the lockers off their main CO2 bottle in case of a leak emptying their main CO2 supply. You can get around that buying a smaller bottle just for the lockers but there is the cost of the extra bottle and regulator to consider plus the switches if you didn't already have them.

The point was that ARBs and other 'on demand' lockers require an external activation system of some sort and that would typically add cost to that option. If you already have one then great you don't have the addded expense, but most would have to add something to operate them. Many wouldn't install the locker units themselves either so the extra cost of installing ARBs or other on demand set ups was also a consideration over just a straight unit for unit purchase price comparison.

You would probably order from Ashcroft I guess? So your pricing would be different anyway to the US based pricing that was discussed here mostly.

As to which is better? They are different. One is an auto locker and the other is an on demand. Both have plusses and negatives and different people will apply different weights to those considerations depending on their particular requirements when making a decision.

The point was to consider those differences (price being one). Nothing (including the Kaiser) is 100% the perfect choice for everybody in every situation. They all have strengths and weaknesses and they are all a compromise to one degree or another depending on the situation you are using them in.
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Is anyone selling the KAM locker in the US? It's electrically activated, so no air plumbing. Install is a bit more work as it has a plate that must be welded to the axle case, but it's very well regarded here in the UK, lots of support in the Challenge community, and Iveco is using them as OEM on their Massif truck (the former Santana). KAM Locker Before I leave the UK, I want to install a front Salisbury, and then have KAM's installed front and back. The best installer in the country is located just 30 minutes up the M1 from me.

Ashcroft is selling a proprietary air locker now too: Ashcroft Locker
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:15 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I thought Lucky8 carried KAM lockers but he's not listing them on his web site (just the R&Ps) so maybe he dropped it or I was mistaken.

I'm from Nottingham which is 30 mins or so up the M1 from Leicester (at Defender speeds anyway). Which installer are you talking about?
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Crown Differentials, he's in Granby, east of Notts. Actually more like an hour from me now that I look on the map, for some reason I thought he was closer to the M1.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Why is installing an ARB carrier more labor intensive? Because you have to drill a hole?

....and switches do not add to the expense of the ARB. Switches, solenoids, air-line, etc.. are included in the price.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Are they letting you return the locker for a refund?
Expeditioneers is the company that sold me the Kaisers. Those guys were extremely supportive throughout this whole ordeal, and they completely refunded my money. Expeditioneers sells a lot of things related to Defenders and expeditions. They are an honest bunch of guys and I will continue to deal with them in the future. Service after the sale is alive and well at Expeditioneers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat