Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
you are wishing you had HD axles because changing an axle in a rock garden isnt fun.
Yep. It's real fun. And safe, too.
http://sv4w.com/gallery/albums/userp...e_Cove_178.jpg

It's almost as fun as this. Almost.
http://sv4w.com/gallery/albums/userp...e_Cove_235.jpg
http://sv4w.com/gallery/albums/userp...e_Cove_239.jpg
http://sv4w.com/gallery/albums/userp...e_Cove_238.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Red90, let me put this in shorter words so you can get the point.

Some people are going to run stock shafts with a locker despite what this does to your view of the perfect world. Is it the right thing to do? Not in my opinion but some disagree or have a different opinion (damn People) and so they will do it anyway. So I tested it with stock shafts to see what it would do. It did very well. Then with our rally coming up I put HD shafts in because I didn't want to be spending time fixing my truck instead of running trails in the rally as it was guaranteed they would break in the worst possible time and place in the middle of the Rally. Murphy's Law.

NOW can we put this to bed before Dan digs out some more pictures of Jeeps and broken Diff parts?
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
point taken but at a place like the Cove couldn't the work be done in camp instead of right on the trail? Just curious. That said, I know I am on borrowed time on my stock shafts.

Somewhere there is a photo of a twisted halfshaft on a series truck that literally stopped the vehicle.

http://jamilabbasy.com/gallery/overl...5w3108_std.jpg

FWIW, would not buy the Kaiser locker based on anything I have seen since the beginning of this thread or elsewhere. But I am a cheap bastard and probably wouldn't buy any locker unless I got a magical cheap used RRC that happened to have front and rear ARBs

But if I did shell out locker money it would be for a selectable one. So I guess I am not a good marketing example since I would not want an automatic locker anyway. But if I did it would be as a cost saving move so would probably not be one that costs more or the same as an ARB.

And I don't consider the requirement for an air supply as a major cost factor since OBA provides utility for other purposes. And can be done quite cheaply if one is resourceful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Some people are going to run stock shafts with a locker despite what this does to your view of the perfect world.
Of course they will. What I'm saying is that you should not suggest to people that it is OK to do. That is bad advice.

------ Follow up post added March 12th, 2011 10:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
And I don't consider the requirement for an air supply as a major cost factor since OBA provides utility for other purposes. And can be done quite cheaply if one is resourceful.
Yes, well, I can't see how anyone running a non-trailered truck on trails that require a locker does not have an air compressor. You are certainly not running these 4+ trails without airing down.
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

Yes, well, I can't see how anyone running a non-trailered truck on trails that require a locker does not have an air compressor. You are certainly not running these 4+ trails without airing down.
You would be amazed how many people don't bother to air down and then have all sorts of problems. Nevertheless, you can run aired down without having OBA. I was that person briefly but borrowing others' air supply got old pretty quickly. So did using the ARB compressor to air up tires. So I got a co2 setup. Once you have this stuff it is hard to look back on how you got by without it. In fact, not having the OBA is probably one of the reasons people don't air down as much as they should. My trail pressure is usually 15psi. Short distances on the road are ok at that pressure, if not too heavily loaded. But, this is somewhat of a departure from the topic.
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

Google image search the trails mentioned in this thread. You could run them with 40psi in your tires. That's why I was wondering how the trail rating system worked.

------ Follow up post added March 12th, 2011 07:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post

That being said, anyone seen HD axles break or twist? If so, then why spend the money and get the same result (broken axle)?
It's important to remember that even with hd axles, they are still tiny and weak. With a 35in tire, you will still have to drive like a saint. That doesn't mean it's not worth it. You will still get a big benefit from them over stock. The cost to benefit is another discussion that I don't know enough about.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The aftermarket axles are around twice as strong versus late model 24 spline shafts, due to section increase and better materials. For most people up to 35" tires, and general off roading, this is OK.

If these guys are talking anything that does not require airing down, then we are are on different planets. Airing down is step 1 when going beyond "easy" trails. Lockers are way down the line from step 1.
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am not the kind that likes to air down much.

I have run many many trails with Street Pressure on my tires, and went through every obstacle the ( mind you I never run lockers.. yeap I am poor ) the guys with lockers did, even better, I did not winch out like the locked people did.

On the other hand, those rock climbs when aired down, mike make your life a lot easy.

I might be wrong and get flamed for this, but in my opinion the right suspension pressing your wheel down for tracking is more important than the locker air down situation if the first is not the correct one

Putting on the Nomex
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Buck, seriously Google Earth, those photo's are from before the massive fires in 2003 and 2005. Most of those trails have suffered severe washouts that developed after them. The posted ratings are not even close to accurate and most of these trails have totally changed since the descriptions were written. These trails change after every monsoon season and anyone running on less 35's or less are building roads. We run these and don't pave it. Is it tough, yep, do we have to use a strap or winch, yep...but don't think your gonna make it runnin' 31's with 40psi.

It's not fun doin' a trail repair, but Ian never said not to use HD axles, it's just that people are and that's the reality.

It's an open invitation, come on out...we won't pussy foot around on the easy shit. Bring the buggy and we'll have a blast on shit your not going to read about on the internet
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:38 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I have run many many trails with Street Pressure on my tires, and went through every obstacle the ( mind you I never run lockers.. yeap I am poor ) the guys with lockers did, even better, I did not winch out like the locked people did.
I'm going to make you eat your words when ever you get off your lazy ass and schedule the Spring Rally at the Cove.
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Buck, seriously Google Earth, those photo's are from before the massive fires in 2003 and 2005. Most of those trails have suffered severe washouts that developed after them. The posted ratings are not even close to accurate and most of these trails have totally changed since the descriptions were written. These trails change after every monsoon season and anyone running on less 35's or less are building roads. We run these and don't pave it. Is it tough, yep, do we have to use a strap or winch, yep...but don't think your gonna make it runnin' 31's with 40psi.

It's not fun doin' a trail repair, but Ian never said not to use HD axles, it's just that people are and that's the reality.

It's an open invitation, come on out...we won't pussy foot around on the easy shit. Bring the buggy and we'll have a blast on shit your not going to read about on the internet
People stopped taking pictures in 2003?

Just messing with you. I would love to come out there for a weekend with you guys!!

However, you are aware that you have thrown down the gauntlet and I will be pulling off the red labels and slamming on a set of 33s with 40psi in them just to make you eat your words!! Lol.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I'm going to make you eat your words when ever you get off your lazy ass and schedule the Spring Rally at the Cove.

I knew it was coming ......

We are meeting next week, and my ultimate goal to the BOD is to present exactly that, hopefully they agree with that vision.

If not, I've heard a New Club has being formed out of Maryland , and they will definitely do a Rally at the Cove
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

LOL, the Free State Rovers? I made them some t-shirts.
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
LOL, the Free State Rovers? I made them some t-shirts.
More like Comarades of Marylandistan
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Alright. I have figured this all out. Here is once and for all the marketing statement for this locker:

Sure it's as much as an ARB, but does your ARB have a fucking unicorn in it? Does it? I didn't think so.

You will sell millions. Go get em! Cheers.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Holy cow, are you guys still hashing this out?

Red90, I said 'delay' not 'don't' and then I tested the theory out with my own truck. Give it a rest.

I run 3 different air up systems. PowerTank (Primary), ARB Compressor (Back up) and an old 12v plug in stuffed in with my spares in case Zombies attack and all else fails.

Yes we air down. Different levels for different people but I go down to 12psi on mine. Just low enough to wrap round rocks and deform rather than puncture mostly but not low enough to pop a bead with Alloys unless i'm really unlucky. When I finish collecting my set of steels then I may re-think the pressure depending on how well they hold a bead.

Buck, I guess we run a little differently to you? You don't run a full body truck and you run trails that no full body is going to get through in a thousand years. You probably run them slightly different to the way we do as well. Typically the type of wheeling you guys do from what I've seen is a mixture of line selection, finesse and or brute force. Line selection with us us is still key but we don't have the brute force option most of the time so have to settle for more finesse and somewhat less skinny pedal. Probably a lot more spotting and creeping. But we do run trails that would give most full body truck drivers pause. As you know its also a whole different style of driving to the guys that run mostly mud and low traction. Momentum and speed are your friends in mud much of the time and you're worst enemies in trying to get a full body through the rocks most of the time. Unless you like picking up parts of course. But 40psi? bring plenty of tire plugs with you....

Oh and I've only had this truck less than 2 years so its still early in the modification cycle. I run 33s on an otherwise mostly stock truck. Have some mild rear suspension mods still have an ARB front ground plough, no sliders yet until I find the right ones and the NAS rear catch all step waiting on the right rear recovery alternative. Plus a list of other crap yet to be done as I have the time or budget. Yet I still run the same trails as Frank's D2 with 37s and custom coil over suspension over full Toyota axles.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Holy cow, are you guys still hashing this out?

Red90, I said 'delay' not 'don't' and then I tested the theory out with my own truck. Give it a rest.

I run 3 different air up systems. PowerTank (Primary), ARB Compressor (Back up) and an old 12v plug in stuffed in with my spares in case Zombies attack and all else fails.

Yes we air down. Different levels for different people but I go down to 12psi on mine. Just low enough to wrap round rocks and deform rather than puncture mostly but not low enough to pop a bead with Alloys unless i'm really unlucky. When I finish collecting my set of steels then I may re-think the pressure depending on how well they hold a bead.

Buck, I guess we run a little differently to you? You don't run a full body truck and you run trails that no full body is going to get through in a thousand years. You probably run them slightly different to the way we do as well. Typically the type of wheeling you guys do from what I've seen is a mixture of line selection, finesse and or brute force. Line selection with us us is still key but we don't have the brute force option most of the time so have to settle for more finesse and somewhat less skinny pedal. Probably a lot more spotting and creeping. But we do run trails that would give most full body truck drivers pause. As you know its also a whole different style of driving to the guys that run mostly mud and low traction. Momentum and speed are your friends in mud much of the time and you're worst enemies in trying to get a full body through the rocks most of the time. Unless you like picking up parts of course. But 40psi? bring plenty of tire plugs with you....

Oh and I've only had this truck less than 2 years so its still early in the modification cycle. I run 33s on an otherwise mostly stock truck. Have some mild rear suspension mods still have an ARB front ground plough, no sliders yet until I find the right ones and the NAS rear catch all step waiting on the right rear recovery alternative. Plus a list of other crap yet to be done as I have the time or budget. Yet I still run the same trails as Frank's D2 with 37s and custom coil over suspension over full Toyota axles.
How dare you. I have a full body rig! l

You seem like a great guy. I would love to wheel with you some day. I'm just like you, just a few years down the trail. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5848.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	36841  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:07 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Yeah thats a sweet rig you built there. Not sure if thats where I want to go with this one though or not. Its the 1st V8/Auto 90 I've had. My previous ones where UK spec diesel sticks and the type of wheeling we did was completely different anyway. Done the D1 and RRC routes as well but came back home to a 90 eventually. I kinda like modifying this one a bit at a time right now. Budget and time for the truck aint that great at the moment anyway. Dont see the point of bolting on something that isn't needed or isn't the right tool for the job so picking the bits as I go or as I find them mostly. Don't have the fab capabilities at home right now either so I have to find or get built what I want.

Its actually pretty fun keeping the truck mostly stock and then trying to get it through stuff it shouldn't be able to do. More of a challenge. For now anyways. I win the lottery or get more time though and I might go all Frank like on its ass....

Laters

Ian
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

Well, this thread appears to have gone afield of the original KAISER issue. Nevertheless, I thought that I should tell everybody that (unfortunately, before I read of Ian's suggested experiments) I just had the Kaiser removed from the rear end of my manual transmission '94 D90 yesterday, and the original carrier was re-installed. It is back to normal and is the joy to drive that I experienced before I installed the Kaiser. Thus, I know (again) that the issue was NOT with my truck.

Again, I invite the guys from Brazil to come to Norman Oklahoma to dissect the problem at their expense, but I'm not putting anymore money or time into it. I just love driving my Defender again.
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
How is this costing you money. If it is faulty, it should be replaced free of charge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat