There is a new guy in the Locker Market.... - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
This locker could be a brilliant locker.

But the amount of seriously stupid bullshit that people supporting it have posted in this thread makes it sound like a complete scam. I’m sure that’s not the case with proven people like Dave selling it. But holy hell what an idiotic way to market something. The stench of this will linger.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #82  
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:41 AM
pantg
Status: Offline
Pantelis Giamarellos
d90 V8, 2 X CamelTrophyDisco 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oropos, Attica, GREECE
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
You make it sound like an ARB goes into 'neutral' if it isnt locked.

Crown14 Hi,

What I wrote is: "A manually selectable locker is offering 100% nothing when it is unlocked."

An ARB (or any other 100% manually selectable locker without an incorporated LSD) is performing just like an open diff when it is not engaged. So it offers 100% nothing when compared to an open diff.

Take care
Pantelis Giamarellos

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2011 01:25 AM ------

Dear Buckon37s

instead of insulting people who provide supported facts and input try to offer something useful on this discussion. Such as your personal experience and proven facts.

People on this forum do not try to sell or market anything (there is a special place on this forum to do so and it is not here). What we all try to do is provide input based on first hand use or knowledge.

Opinions about other members has nothing to do with our topic. You are entitled to your opinion about fellow members or marketing but nobody has asked you about it and it is not what we discuss here.

It will be interesting to provide your valued input about the actual subject of this discussion and not of what you think about other people.

Take care
Pantelis Giamarellos

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2011 01:51 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Yeah, everything is installed right and, Ian, i don't quite get the difference it would make between the manual TDi and my manual V8, but apparently there is one. Vittorio kept saying "just get it out in the dirt, etc, off-road", and I admit that if snow is any indication, then these lockers would do excellent in dirt, sand, etc; HOWEVER, as I told Vittorio, most of my driving is on pavement, so it really didn't matter to me if the lockers operated seamlessly and invisibly on snow and off-road if it wasn't that way on pavement also. Gee, I wish these guys from Brazil would just come to Norman Oklahoma and tear my diff and transmission down to just see what the deal is. I really do want to know. The telling thing to me, though, is that I have not heard of ANYBODY personally who has had the kaiser on their rear diff on a MANUAL D90 - TDi or V8, but especially a V8, that has obtained the same performance as you have on your auto transmission. Until I do, I have to assume that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle and that the kaiser just doesn't operate as well on my model truck and transmission.

Terry Hi,

I just spoke with George (the D2 owner here in Greece).

His D2 V8 is also fitted with an autobox.

We spoke at length about the noise he occasionaly gets from the KAISER and his experience up to now is as follows:

1. He now has more than 3.000 km on the clock after fitting the KAISER on the rear axle.
2. He has clocked more than half of this distance on snowy road and offroad conditions.
3. The only noise he gets is the one already described and Dave was put it in the most suitable way as the noise generated when you pass on top of a manhole cover on a street. But he has not felt any kind of vibration or kick from the car. Just the noise.
4. This noise is either generated when the car accelerates hard from a standstill. It is also generated when the car coasts on a flat road (not pressing the accelerator pedal but just rolling) or goes downhill and you do not press the gas pedal.
5. This noise is very rare (George was quoted a 1% chance to be heard even on downhill driving or coasting.
6. He has not yet heard this noise when turning even at very tight turns. (his house is located on the top of a very steep hill with extremely tight turns and as a result he is driving daily on such conditions)

If I have any further input I will let you know.

---------------------

Judging from what you have posted I believe your units must have a problem since you have been able to rule out the possibility of having something going wrong with your car or with the way they were fitted.
My experience with land rovers though (and this goes back way to long) is that there are a number of things that have to be checked in relation to noises and play of transmission bits on those cars.
But if you are absolutely sure that everything is OK with your car you are the one whose word we have to respect and consider. You drive and you know your car.

After all if, as it appears, there is true and actual problem this will provide everybody on this discussion to evaluate after sales support for this product.

I have had TERRIBLE experience with other makers of 100% selectable lockers in the past, selling their products (actually we have fitted the first unit fitted on a client's car here in Greece) and failing to properly support their products. (but this is another story)

I am sure that both the factory and the people who have supplied you with the lockers will try and sort it out. Your input is very much appreciated and provides information which is useful for all of us. After all a product is properly evaluated not only for its performance but also for its after sales support and the behaviour of the manufacturer and retailer to properly honour the guarantee and warranty they provide.
Your case is an excellent opportunity to also check this parameter.

Take care
Pantelis Giamarellos
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:28 AM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
I've had this thing in for nearly a year now and I still stand by most of the thoughts I put forward when I 1st tested it.

Case in point. I ran a fairly tough trail with a truck fitted with Toyota internals last week. He had E-lockers. He slipped off or lost his line on at least 2 obstacles I can think of because his e-locker wouldn't release or wouldn't release quickly enough. His wheels were therefore locked together and he lost his line. I ran the same obstacles without the same problem.

Detroits? Way too many examples of people grenading them when breaking a shaft or putting up with them farting around on the road. Mine doesn't do either.

ARBs? You say they never fail? I have a different experience. The locker itself doesn't break often I will agree, but the activation system is prone to problems. Case in point again? I told you about the test run I did with 2 ARB equipped trucks, both of which had problems and neither of which had full locking ability that particular day? Not an uncommon occurrence in my experience. Whether that be installation or maintenance based doesn't matter to this discussion, it happens. The activation system whether it be Air, CO2 or a gas/electronic, all are subject to possible failure and they DO fail.

TT? You should know this best as you had to pull Brian out when he got into trouble that in his words started when his front axle failed and he lost all drive on that axle because he had a TT fitted. Then we could get into the torque steer, need to break traction to operate, etc.?

So if you consider my findings based on my own experience to be BS marketing then we'll just have to agree to disagree. This things new (to us) that doesn't automatically mean its bad does it?

I've given this thing some pretty tough shit over the last year and its taken everything I've thrown at it. Oh and the one that we fitted to the 98 Disco? He took out an ARB to fit it because he was fed up of the ARB either not working due to air line issues or having to turn it on, off, on, off, etc. to get through a series of obstacles.

As always, YMMV but don't discount mine just because it's a road you've never driven.....

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
This locker could be a brilliant locker.

But the amount of seriously stupid bullshit that people supporting it have posted in this thread makes it sound like a complete scam. I’m sure that’s not the case with proven people like Dave selling it. But holy hell what an idiotic way to market something. The stench of this will linger.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #84  
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:50 AM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Ian, you never mention the on-road experience with them, and this is what Terry has issues with. Do you never hear/feel it on pavement? Can you try reproduce them to compare? I think he said he could reproduce it fairly easily. I have a hard time believing he got 2 bad units and if he did, I'd be concerned about quality issues in general.

It doesn't matter how well it performs off-road if you can't live with it on-road, and everyone keeps ignoring the fact his issue is on-road. This is after all the key difference between a locker you engage by choice, and one that does it for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantg View Post
Dear Buckon37s

instead of insulting people who provide supported facts and input try to offer something useful on this discussion. Such as your personal experience and proven facts.

People on this forum do not try to sell or market anything (there is a special place on this forum to do so and it is not here). What we all try to do is provide input based on first hand use or knowledge.

Opinions about other members has nothing to do with our topic. You are entitled to your opinion about fellow members or marketing but nobody has asked you about it and it is not what we discuss here.

It will be interesting to provide your valued input about the actual subject of this discussion and not of what you think about other people.

Take care
Pantelis Giamarellos
That right there is damn funny. I took the time to outline in RED a few posts back exactly what was factually and verifiably not true in what was posted. In fact, I am the only one who has actually argued facts. I never said any opinion about other members. In fact, I never said an opinion about the locker itself. All I did was point out what was blatantly false, and how this thread looks to people who know what they are actually talking about.

You don't like what I have to say and keep trying to get me to stop saying it. Sorry, that doesn't work on me.

Once again, the locker could be a good one. All you had to do was give an honest review with the negatives and positives. Instead we were told things about other lockers that are blatantly false. And pretty much that this locker will add 3in to your dick, locks and unlocks better than a human brain can, and if you run synthetic oil, it turns into a unicorn and grants you three wishes.

This sounds like a bad late night infomerchal. I would delete it and write a no bullshit review and let the chips fall where they may, if I was the op.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM
pantg
Status: Offline
Pantelis Giamarellos
d90 V8, 2 X CamelTrophyDisco 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oropos, Attica, GREECE
Posts: 14
Charles Hi,

George here in Greece has used his KAISER on the rear axle of his D2 on tarmac and does not have any issues that really deserve to be considered even as annoying. (at least this is his input)

Terry's problem is something that deserves to be investigated further.

But the extent of the problem is something that still makes me wonder on whether there is something else wrong with the car. Terry, who is the owner and driver of the car, has already quoted that his car is 100% OK so we have no reason to doubt his word

In any case he will be removing the KAISERS and hopefully he will report back with the findings.

I am sure we are all very curious to hear from him.

Take care
Pantelis Giamarellos
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
Hi Charles,

I have written quite a bit about the on road manners of the lockers in some of the exceeeeeeedingly long posts above. In fact it was the primary focus of my tests alongside how it worked in slippery surface conditions. I also talked with Terry on the phone when he had the 1st unit and experienced problems.

But to quickly recap, I don't get any of the issues he is describing and nor does the other truck I know of that has one fitted. As Terry mentions though, they are Autos not Manual Trucks. That said I struggle to understand how it being a Manual can cause this issue but wihout trying it myself in one I can't say for sure. I do know they have been fitted to manuals as that is the primary truck available in its home market.

From Dave and Pantelis's comments it seems there are occasions where they can make some noise although both describe it as rare and slight. I haven't experienced that with mine but then I also drive a 14yr old truck with many noises and clanks of its own so it may just be that I don't associate the noise with the locker when I hear it. I know most of the noises my truck makes and am not aware of any new ones. Also when I first had it fitted I was REALLY conscious of it and spent most of my time trying to listen for noises or feel for funny goings on when driving it. Now I just drive it and forget the thing is in there. If it starts misbehaving, I'll soon know (closely followed by Kaiser).

The noises Terry describes don't concern me as much as the binding or tire scrubbing he describes. Unless this thing is totaly locked up and won't release I am struggling to understand how that is happening. Thats why I asked him to lift the wheels and do some tests. I want to see if the locker is doing what its supposed to. Its certainly possible that he got 2 different faulty units but I would be surprised. My two came from 2 seperate batches sent over at 2 different times and I would also expect that if there was a manufacturing issue that meant they where shipping a bunch of faulty units we would have heard about it by now. Last I checked it was being sold by the guys here in Phoenix, a company in San Antonio and another in NJ that I know of. Not to mention Dave and Pantelis and its being talked about on a number of different forums as well.

Laters

Ian



Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Ian, you never mention the on-road experience with them, and this is what Terry has issues with. Do you never hear/feel it on pavement? Can you try reproduce them to compare? I think he said he could reproduce it fairly easily. I have a hard time believing he got 2 bad units and if he did, I'd be concerned about quality issues in general.

It doesn't matter how well it performs off-road if you can't live with it on-road, and everyone keeps ignoring the fact his issue is on-road. This is after all the key difference between a locker you engage by choice, and one that does it for you.
------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2011 10:49 AM ------

Can't delete the thread but here's the no bullshit short review version.

Fitted locker.
Went out to play on the road and in the dirt.
Locker worked as advertised.
Got excited that we might actually have something new worth telling people about.
Wrote lengthy and detailed review on findings and different tests I had done. Tried to equate to my findings on other lockers so that people could compare.
Sifted through the BS and tried to answer the valid questions as honestly as I could.

Fast forward 1 year.
Locker still works despite anything I have done to it.
Trying to help a member who has some problems get to the bottom of it.
Pleased to note that others have picked it up and are quite impressed with it when they TRY it as well.
Still watching the BS and laughing before heading back out to play in the dirt some more.

That work?

Ian



Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
I would delete it and write a no bullshit review and let the chips fall where they may, if I was the op.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
I have written quite a bit about the on road manners of the lockers in some of the exceeeeeeedingly long posts above.
Yes you are right, probably a bad choice of words on my part and I had forgotten about some of the previous posts. But in response to Terry it seems everyone keeps talking about off-road and he about on-road.

The only differences I can think of between manual and auto would be the coasting effect mentioned above with the clutch engaged which you won't get with an auto, but may get a lot depending on your driving style. Terry are you perhaps pushing in the clutch when doing these tight turns that cause the binding?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
Well this thread has been running a year and I am sure there were some aspirins needed to trawl through some of it so I guess we can let you off?

I don't think that is the issue (allthough I obviously can't check). When coasting there should still be drag from the T-Case and the Trans being fed into the locker via the propshaft as the slower wheel now tries to turn the gears. This should be enough to 'set' the cage and allow the faster wheel to overrun.

Even if Terry's clutch is slipping some and allowing the gears to rotate faster than they should then that would still equate to drive or drag depending on the shaft speed on the slow wheel and allow the faster wheel to run.

I guess its possible that if the input speed from the prop and the road speed where very close that you might see it get confused but it would only be for a very short time as they passed the matching speed point and then it should be OK.

The only thing (other than a bad locker) that makes much sense would be if the T-case isn't unlocking. Since the 4 wheels need to travel at different speeds, if you lock the front and rear together and add a rear locker then that can't happen and one would have to scrub.

My other thought was that he might have a broken axle shaft thats binding or causing the noises he can hear but I don't really think thats what's wrong and I'm just trying to rule it out.

I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and typically reverse the truck into the garage. I have a bad habit of barreling into the circle at the end, hooking it slightly right then a hard left sweeping 180 to end up facing my garage backwards and reversing in. I kind of do it as 1 manouver, including letting off the gas during the 180 and then throwing it into reverse. Except that I drive an auto, thats probably a pretty tough manouver on the locker and I don't get any noises or issues.

We keep talking about off road now I guess because that is where its going to be most apparent. On road if its mostly not visable (except to Terry) then there isn't much more to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yes you are right, probably a bad choice of words on my part and I had forgotten about some of the previous posts. But in response to Terry it seems everyone keeps talking about off-road and he about on-road.

The only differences I can think of between manual and auto would be the coasting effect mentioned above with the clutch engaged which you won't get with an auto, but may get a lot depending on your driving style. Terry are you perhaps pushing in the clutch when doing these tight turns that cause the binding?
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
dchapman
Status: Offline
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 759
This thread is dumb.

Lucky8 has ARB's for $825.00, $75.00 cheaper than this magical masterpiece of shit.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
Well as in all things Dan, the price comes down....

Quick 2 minute search and you can buy it here for the same price as the ARB http://www.undergroundrovers.com/Kai...kers-C273.aspx for example plus shipping. Or you could buy it from Dave for 425UKP ($680 US) plus shipping

Add in the $153 that Justin charges for the compressor to your ARB price or a bottle and regulator if you want to go CO2, plus shipping, add in the higher cost of getting it and the compressor installed if you don't do it yourself as many wouldn't and....

So what's dumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
This thread is dumb.

Lucky8 has ARB's for $825.00, $75.00 cheaper than this magical masterpiece of shit.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantg View Post
Red90, you also have the right to your opinion and no-one is trying to change it. Kindly though respect that other people do have the same right. And no one has provided anyone on this forum with the right to insult fellow members.
What we are all trying to do here is to provide input on a specific subject and this is what we are doing.
You may not like the KAISER, you may not like me but no-ones gives you the right to insult anyone on this forum.
Perhaps it is an English as a second language problem, I'm not sure. You have completely missed my point.

This forum is mostly frequented by technically knowledgeable enthusiasts. We just want simple facts and the price, period. "Sales tactics" only hurt the product. That is sad in this case as the lockers sounds good. The price point is too high to sell well, but the idea sounds good.

So, my suggestion is to drop the "sales" garbage and state intelligent useful technical information. As Buck states, the technical information you have provided is full of errors and this only hurts the product even more. The fact that you are not willing to listen to advice, hurts it even further.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
magical masterpiece of shit.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Case in point. I ran a fairly tough trail with a truck fitted with Toyota internals last week. He had E-lockers. He slipped off or lost his line on at least 2 obstacles I can think of because his e-locker wouldn't release or wouldn't release quickly enough. His wheels were therefore locked together and he lost his line. I ran the same obstacles without the same problem.

Detroits? Way too many examples of people grenading them when breaking a shaft or putting up with them farting around on the road. Mine doesn't do either.

ARBs? You say they never fail? I have a different experience. The locker itself doesn't break often I will agree, but the activation system is prone to problems. Case in point again? I told you about the test run I did with 2 ARB equipped trucks, both of which had problems and neither of which had full locking ability that particular day? Not an uncommon occurrence in my experience. Whether that be installation or maintenance based doesn't matter to this discussion, it happens. The activation system whether it be Air, CO2 or a gas/electronic, all are subject to possible failure and they DO fail.

TT? You should know this best as you had to pull Brian out when he got into trouble that in his words started when his front axle failed and he lost all drive on that axle because he had a TT fitted. Then we could get into the torque steer, need to break traction to operate, etc.?
And here is another example of a really bad way to help the product in this forum, attacking other products. Everyone here is familiar with the other lockers and most likely has much more experience with them than you. I would really suggest you two guys walk away and stop hurting the product. When an experienced and unbiased wheeler with credibility has used it, they will show up and give a technical review that help instead of hurt the product.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
dchapman
Status: Offline
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
So what's dumb?
The entire carrier.

This thread.

Look, your product is neat. But that's it. Just neat. As Buck has stated, there is a lot of false advertising with this magical "locker" and that takes away a lot of its creditability. If you honestly think this "locker" will not break stock axles, send me one and I'll send it back to you 5-days later with all the broken axle bits.

I've owned a lot of different lockers in various trucks in the past. Detroit no-spin, TrueTrack, spools, Detroit e-locker, Toyota e-locker, LocRight, Ox locker, and ARB's. On these Land Rovers there is only one option, IMO, worth messing with, and that's dual ARB's. A DT/ARB is nice, too, but ARB's have proven to me to be the best option. I've ran dual ARB's for the past 5-years and I'm sold on them. I've had an issue here and there, but it has never been something $5.00 worth of parts can't fix on the side of the trail, so I don't buy into the whole "too much to go wrong" BS.

Your LSD may be a good fit for the front of a Rover. I would never buy it, but it might be a good option. However, your price is so far out in left field I don't even know who would buy it. For the same price as an ARB, it's not even a question in my mind which way I would steer people. Well, until we start seeing Dave's new Air Locker states-side....

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2011 04:13 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Dude, seriously? I just took a look at this link. What's the name of this company, anyway? The URL is Underground Rovers, but the site is British Outfitters. I get confused, though, when I look on the site and see pictures of Chevy's and Hummer H2's.

I think I know who these guys are, though. Texas Rover Service, the makers of this roof-rack ladder I saw at last years Texas Rovers event. They seem to sell quality stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
You say attack, I say compare. I am also backing up the statements I made that where called into question by, er, YOU amongst others. If you didn't want me to qualify my position and statements, then don't ask the questions or cast aspersions on my position.

You also then go on to say and or suggest I am an inexperienced wheeler and EVERYBODY else is familiar with the alternative products out there. Besides the fact that you don't know me that's a pretty tall and I am pretty sure incorrect statement to make.

You'll also notice that I posted up, answered some questions, then left the thread alone until others revived it. So I came back to update it.

Much of the rebuttal of the stuff in this thread has been character assassination based rather than factual debate on the product. When you drive it that way you pretty much dictate the way the thread is going to run. So don't come back now and tell me I ruined the image of this product that you have been questioning for a year just because some others have finally posted up that they have tried it and found it OK and you may now have to consider the fact that it may be a good product after all.


Now that you may have grudgingly accepted that this might actually have some merits, I suggest YOU walk away and let the thread go back to being about the product and its merits or helping people that have problems rather than being about which one of you can insult the posters the most.


Ian



Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
And here is another example of a really bad way to help the product in this forum, attacking other products. Everyone here is familiar with the other lockers and most likely has much more experience with them than you. I would really suggest you two guys walk away and stop hurting the product. When an experienced and unbiased wheeler with credibility has used it, they will show up and give a technical review that help instead of hurt the product.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Donaldson View Post
which is why when this guy posted a group buy for a front for only $550, I said I was interested: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72221

we'll see if anything comes of it.
I can assure you, there is no way to get them for that price.

And if bought directly through Kaiser in Brazil, still will be over $ 550.00, my question will be... WTF will warranty it when something goes wrong?

If Kaiser makes it more competitive ( God I hate to agree with Chapman ) then there is a chance for a solid US representation, and perhaps a wide audience
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
Dan,

You're still mis-quoting something you didn't read correctly a year ago. Go back and look. I never suggested it won't break shafts. You mis-read it, then mis-quoted me and jumped all over what you THOUGHT I had written. What I said was that it was 'easier' on shafts than a Detroit and with careful driving you could choose to put off buying HD shafts until you had money to do so. I still stand by that. Why? I chose to test it with stock shafts and I only put HD shafts in about 2 months ago. The stock shafts I took out that had been running with this locker for 10 months where still perfectly fine. Why easier than a Detroit? Because it doesn't unload and put a shock loading into the shaft like a Detroit can. Simple fact. I am reporting MY findings based on MY experience. So your statement that fitting it to a truck will result in the axles breaking in 5 minutes is therefore obviously false based on my axles is it not? Now you can suggest that I don't wheel my truck or drive anywhere but to the Mall and back but you'd be wrong.

As to the web link. I did a Google search, found that link, checked the price and posted it to rebut your statement that they were more expensive than an ARB. I have no idea who those guys are and what they sell and nor do I care. Now I presume you aren't suggesting that Ashcroft sells junk because its on his site are you the same way you are insinuating this is because its on theirs?

Come on Dan, if you guys would stop bashing me for 5 mins so I can stop having to write all this type of BS then maybe we could get back to the locker that apparently might actualy be OK?

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
The entire carrier.

This thread.

Look, your product is neat. But that's it. Just neat. As Buck has stated, there is a lot of false advertising with this magical "locker" and that takes away a lot of its creditability. If you honestly think this "locker" will not break stock axles, send me one and I'll send it back to you 5-days later with all the broken axle bits.

I've owned a lot of different lockers in various trucks in the past. Detroit no-spin, TrueTrack, spools, Detroit e-locker, Toyota e-locker, LocRight, Ox locker, and ARB's. On these Land Rovers there is only one option, IMO, worth messing with, and that's dual ARB's. A DT/ARB is nice, too, but ARB's have proven to me to be the best option. I've ran dual ARB's for the past 5-years and I'm sold on them. I've had an issue here and there, but it has never been something $5.00 worth of parts can't fix on the side of the trail, so I don't buy into the whole "too much to go wrong" BS.

Your LSD may be a good fit for the front of a Rover. I would never buy it, but it might be a good option. However, your price is so far out in left field I don't even know who would buy it. For the same price as an ARB, it's not even a question in my mind which way I would steer people. Well, until we start seeing Dave's new Air Locker states-side....

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2011 04:13 PM ------



Dude, seriously? I just took a look at this link. What's the name of this company, anyway? The URL is Underground Rovers, but the site is British Outfitters. I get confused, though, when I look on the site and see pictures of Chevy's and Hummer H2's.

I think I know who these guys are, though. Texas Rover Service, the makers of this roof-rack ladder I saw at last years Texas Rovers event. They seem to sell quality stuff.
------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2011 02:35 PM ------

Goose,

My understanding is that the warrenty is dealt with by the seller here in the US who then works with Kaiser to get their stock replaced. I was also told that its a no questions asked warrenty in respect to vehicle modifications. I haven't had to try it out though.

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
dchapman
Status: Offline
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Dan,

You're still mis-quoting something you didn't read correctly a year ago. Go back and look. I never suggested it won't break shafts. You mis-read it, then mis-quoted me and jumped all over what you THOUGHT I had written. What I said was that it was . I still stand by that. Why? I chose to test it with stock shafts and I only put HD shafts in about 2 months ago. The stock shafts I took out that had been running with this locker for 10 months where still perfectly fine. Why easier than a Detroit? Because it doesn't unload and put a shock loading into the shaft like a Detroit can. Simple fact. I am reporting MY findings based on MY experience. So your statement that fitting it to a truck will result in the axles breaking in 5 minutes is therefore obviously false based on my axles is it not? Now you can suggest that I don't wheel my truck or drive anywhere but to the Mall and back but you'd be wrong.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]As to the web link. I did a Google search, found that link, checked the price and posted it to rebut your statement that they were more expensive than an ARB. I have no idea who those guys are and what they sell and nor do I care. Now I presume you aren't suggesting that Ashcroft sells junk because its on his site are you the same way you are insinuating this is because its on theirs?
As far as the web link, it's bogus. Look at their site, look at their products, look at their prices (the ones that even list price). It's a bogus site.

As for the axles thing.... I could say the same thing as you about how an ARB is easier on axles. Does that really make it so? Same with a spool as it's not locking and unlocking and causing fatigue on the axles. Would a spool really be "easier" on axles? Ninja please.

I don't care if you have a spool, ARB, DT, or some magical alien moon-shit of a locker or LSD, it's going to break those shitty stock axles if it's used off-road in a position that merits a locked axle. This includes TT's.

Let me explain it to you one more time so maybe you'll better understand.

IF YOU INSTALL A TRACTION AID IN A LAND ROVER WITHOUT UPGRADING YOUR AXLE SHAFTS AND CV's, YOU'RE ON BORROWED TIME.

Is that a little more helpful?

I could say the same thing as you just did above, an ARB is 'easier' on shafts than a Detroit and with careful driving you could choose to put off buying HD shafts until you had money to do so. Now, does that sound right to you? After all, an ARB does 100% nothing unlocked....
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
IF YOU INSTALL A TRACTION AID IN A LAND ROVER WITHOUT UPGRADING YOUR AXLE SHAFTS AND CV's, YOU'RE ON BORROWED TIME.

After all, an ARB does 100% nothing unlocked....

Nice try Dan. I never argued (and am still not) your first statment. Its simply a matter of how much time and that will depend on the traction aid and the driver. I BLOODY AGREE WITH YOU!!!! It will break eventually. But with a Kaiser as with an ARB you can choose to be easier on the shafts by not driving like a moron. With a Detroit if it winds up and releases you don't get a say. CAN WE PUT THIS ONE TO BED NOW?????

The 2nd quote isn't mine.

Laters

Ian

You might be right on the web site thing, I have no idea. Like I said it was just the result of a quick search. But since Ashcroft is selling them for the equivelent of $680 US today then it really doens't mattter does it?

Oh and ITS NOT A LSD!!!! Fed up of answering that one.

And for the who knows how many times, its not MY product. If it was I would want you to buy it from me or somebody I was associated with wouldn't I? I was simply asked to test it, which I've done and continue to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arb Locker Tech Manual (.pdf) online, courtesy of ARB USA Cube II Misc. Chit-Chat 4 December 5th, 2006 04:28 PM
Air Locker problem sflash868 Defender Technical Discussions 1 May 9th, 2005 09:40 AM
Locker - Front or Rear bd90 Defender Technical Discussions 6 January 14th, 2004 09:22 PM
ARB locker TwisteD90 Defender Technical Discussions 2 December 2nd, 2003 11:26 AM
blue sky montana rover guy 94d90 Misc. Chit-Chat 2 November 14th, 2003 10:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Copyright