Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 16th, 2011, 01:46 AM
pantg
Pantelis Giamarellos
d90 V8, 2 X CamelTrophyDisco 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm sorry, but this statement makes little sense. How does fitting a rear locker with an open center diff help much? All drive can still go through the open front diff forcing the traction control to do all of the work like in the past. Really, getting the center diff lock working seems like it should be step one.

Red90 Hi,

let's not forget that the Discovery 2 has ETC (electronic traction control)
So when one wheel on one axle starts spinning the brakes are activated on this wheel and the other wheel starts rotating once more. Of course same applies for diagonal or scissor lifts.
But ETC is extremely hard on the halfshafts and the factory differential groups. This is why on the Defender 90 and especially the 110 range of vehicles with the current TDCi 2.4 Ford derived engine we have had repeated cases of vehicles having their front diffs literaly exploding from within. The ETC puts exceptional strain on the halfshaft and on the pins of the internal gears of the factory diff.
One more problem with the ETC is that it puts too much load on the brakes.

George's experience with the KAISER unit fitted on the rear axle of his D2 provided a much easier to drive vehicle that was able to tackle conditions that were extremely difficult to handle before. George is sure that fitting the KAISER also on the front axle will make ETC almost un-necessary. But this remains to be proved, something that will be done quite shortly.

Fellow LR enthusiast dchapman Hi,

KAISERs here in Greece will be priced at around 800 to 850 Euros each if purchased with a group order of four units or more. Please bear in your mind that Brazil is too far away from Greece, we have huge import duties and a VAT rate of 23% calculated on the total sum of the ex-factory value of the goods, their shipping/delivery costs, import and airport taxes and custom clearing fees. Almost 40% of the price of 800 to 850 Euros is related to shipping, customs and taxes.

On the other hand an ARB is priced at around 1200 Euros plus the compressor here in Greece. Occasionaly they sell it on offer at this price but including the compressor.
KAMs are sold at around 1000 to 1100 Euros but they have their share of problems and fitting is extremely hard and complicated (I now that first hand since I was the exclusive importer of KAM lockers in Greece and have assisted on both the development and teething problems sorting out. I decided to end a 15 years cooperation and relation with them due to their business ethics and the lack of proper support and continuous quality problems)
The QUAIFE ATB is another interesting solution but it is again more expensive but only slightly. Its only drawback is that it leaves you stuck if you lift a wheel up in the air. This is easily cured if you slightly apply just a tiny bit of brakes (especialy easy on vehicles with automatic gearbox). And they come with a lifetime guarantee even for competition use.
So, at least here in Greece this is the only other option apart from the KAISERs but it costs more.
An added bonus of the KAISER is that it is the only locker which provide support to its one year guarantee even if the vehicle is heavily modified with larger tyres, a much stronger engine etc. No other manufacturer of lockers specificaly states that on its guarantee terms. And such modifications, as we all know, is something that we all carry out on our vehicles (it is very rare to see a Landy with its factory sized tyres for example)

If people are interested for the KAISER may I suggest you organise a group buy? This way your dealer can be able to offer a discount on the purchase price, combine shipping and will surely be able to split the other costs and save you a lot of money.
Here in Greece a KAISER ordered, shipped from Brazil, custom cleared, taxed and sold as a single unit would have cost more than 1150 Euros. There is a saving of 300 euros, almost 400 US Dollars, if ordered as a part of a five units group order. And this saving, here in Greece, is been given entirely to the ordering customers.

The KAISER is targeted to all kinds of offroaders. Its behaviour as a rear locker on rock crawling (or at least huge ditch crossing with wheels lifting in the air and cross axle/scissor crossings) has proved that it is the most interesting solution for this sort of four wheeling. It gives all the bonuses of a 100% locker but without any of the detrimental results since it does not destroy the vehicle's ability to turn on tigh spots and change directions, something that is a guaranteed recipe for damages or excessive strain on the transmission with a 100% selectable locker.
Its ability to allow the one wheel to be rotated faster when obliged from the ground allows it to make the car turn on tight spots but also on daily tarmac use in a way that no other 100% locker (either selectable or automatic) has been able to do up to now. And this has now tested and proved beyond any doubt in Greece.
It now remains to confirm that the same applies for the front axle application. Something that we will know in the following days.

-------------------------------

It is more than logical for all of us to be skeptical and very doubtful of a product that is both newly introduced in our national markets and revolutionary. Even when it is now sold for more than 5 years in its home and neighbouring markets. And the KAISER is definately both ground breaking (literaly and metaphoricaly) and revolutionary. The good thing for all of us is that internet fora/forums are the best way for fellow owners to exchange in a direct way our input and impressions after using and testing our equipment.
Sometimes what we find out is that a product is not worth the money and time.
Sometimes and on a much more rare frequency we find out that a product actually delivers what it promises and makes our cars better without any negative side effects. (Ok, apart from having to pay extra for it.... <LOL>)
First hand owners experience and proof provided by them, both here in Greece and in the USA, appears to point out that the KAISER belongs to the second case and provides a positive result at a very interesting price when purchased under the group buy/order scenario, at least here in Greece.

Take care
Pantelis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantg View Post
The KAISER is targeted to all kinds of offroaders. Its behaviour as a rear locker on rock crawling (or at least huge ditch crossing with wheels lifting in the air and cross axle/scissor crossings) has proved that it is the most interesting solution for this sort of four wheeling. You can't say that. It is an opinion only. It gives all the bonuses of a 100% locker but without any of the detrimental results since it does not destroy the vehicle's ability to turn on tigh spots and change directions, something that is a guaranteed recipe for damages or excessive strain on the transmission with a 100% selectable locker. This is patently untrue. A 100% selectable locker puts no strain at all on anything when unlocked. This locker still would untill it releases. Its ability to allow the one wheel to be rotated faster when obliged from the ground allows it to make the car turn on tight spots but also on daily tarmac use in a way that no other 100% locker (either selectable or automatic) has been able to do up to now. That's false too. A selectable locker will allow all that and give you the ability to turn it off when not needed. For that matter. And this has now tested and proved beyond any doubt in Greece. I would argue a dirt hill is not tested beyond any doubt. It now remains to confirm that the same applies for the front axle application. Something that we will know in the following days.

Take care
Pantelis
Look, I'm all for new products and new ideas. Maybe this is a great locker. But, you can't come on here and say things like that which are completely subjective or completely false. It is not a selectable locker, therefor it will always be inferior to a selectable locker. You should argue why it is better than a Detroit, that it may well be, but don't say it's the second coming of Christ. You lose credibility with people who understand this stuff.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Really, I think all that this thread has done is to seriously damage the credibility of this locker. It is a bunch of used car salesman talk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

The kaiser rear locker does NOT operate invisibly on D90's with manual transmissions. It takes the ease and enjoyment out of driving the vehicle. On slow tight turns, the truck will lurch like my 16 year old daughter is learning to drive it. I am not going to install the front locker because the rear has not operated as I was told it would on this forum. The right combination of turns culminating with pulling into my driveway will cause such clanking, clunking and lurching that the neighbors come out to see what all the racket is. I am returning the front and rear as soon as I have the rear removed from my truck.

works great on snow, but i'm mostly on pavement. I am now searching for lockers with manual engagement.
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are you sure your center diff is not locked? That will cause the front and rear axles to fight.

Maybe there is something wrong with the locker. It does not sound right. You won't hear a Detroit unless it is very quite and you stick your head out the window. These are claimed to be quieter than that.
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
The kaiser rear locker does NOT operate invisibly on D90's with manual transmissions. It takes the ease and enjoyment out of driving the vehicle. On slow tight turns, the truck will lurch like my 16 year old daughter is learning to drive it. I am not going to install the front locker because the rear has not operated as I was told it would on this forum. The right combination of turns culminating with pulling into my driveway will cause such clanking, clunking and lurching that the neighbors come out to see what all the racket is. I am returning the front and rear as soon as I have the rear removed from my truck.

works great on snow, but i'm mostly on pavement. I am now searching for lockers with manual engagement.
Unpossible. This locker is the greatest breakthrough since antibiotics. It's awesomeness is clearly too great for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Are you sure your center diff is not locked? That will cause the front and rear axles to fight.

Maybe there is something wrong with the locker. It does not sound right. You won't hear a Detroit unless it is very quite and you stick your head out the window. These are claimed to be quieter than that.
Center diff NOT locked. This is the 2d Kaiser locker on the rear. I think the key language above is "claimed". None of the "claims" about this locker have panned out on my manual transmission D90. Again, I am now looking for a manually engaged locker. Don't know if they are out there for a D90 or not.
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Again, I am now looking for a manually engaged locker. Don't know if they are out there for a D90 or not.
Manual as in a cable or something and not air actuated? I'd go with the tried and true ARB. I don't think there is a silver bullet. I know OX lockers for jeeps are cable actuated and you hear about guys having problems with them binding etc too.
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Center diff NOT locked. This is the 2d Kaiser locker on the rear. I think the key language above is "claimed". None of the "claims" about this locker have panned out on my manual transmission D90. Again, I am now looking for a manually engaged locker. Don't know if they are out there for a D90 or not.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=962064 - Intersting to be sure.

ARB is always good.

The ox locker I had in the racecar was a better design than ARB but I didn't even know they made rover stuff.

For me, and the money, I would swap out to toy stuff with an e-locker.

Good luck. I was pretty much convinced that this locker would be lack-luster with the obsurd stuff posted about it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:14 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
The kaiser rear locker does NOT operate invisibly on MY D90.
Fixed it for you..

I just got back from my local club's (AZLRO) 3 day annual rally. My truck was out running trails all 3 days with no issues. (Pics are in here under the 2011 Rally section. Day 1 - Woodpecker. Day 2 - Box Canyon Run 1. http://www.azlro.org/photo . No pics for day 3, sorry). Mine is the BRG/Mud colored 90 with the Kaiser stickers just in front of the rear wheels.

Had mine in a little under a year now and I have had none of the issues you mention and nor does the other truck in the local club with one fitted either (98 D1). Mine still works despite some pretty tuff abuse and is silent and unnoticable.

Quote:
works great on snow.
Thats interesting to know. Living in central AZ that's something I haven't had chance to test mine on yet, Thanks. Had it in mud and loose sand but not snow or ice yet.

Buck, talk to Frank (Mongo). He's been pretty closely involved in helping me test it out on my truck and has driven it as well as seen it out on a number of trails and stuff. He'll tell you I don't baby my truck or run the local Mall parking lot trails and I don't claim stuff I haven't tested out as best I can 1st. Not suggesting i've run the Hammers with it but i've done my best to abuse them out on the trails we have.

Anybody in my area want to see it work or try it out? Just let me know.

Again, no I don't work for Kaiser or any dealer/supplier of them and I make no money or gain from any sales. I was asked to test it, I did/am and wrote up what I found.

Laters

Ian
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:25 AM
pantg
Pantelis Giamarellos
d90 V8, 2 X CamelTrophyDisco 200Tdi

Max Hi,

this is some very interesting input you give us and it is really appreciated.
The only noise that have ever been generated by the KAISER here in Greece was a result of a very quick acceleration from standstill and on a straight line.
Dave Ashcroft has also written about it on another forum (sorry can not remember which one).

But if you say it happens we have absolutely no reason to doubt what you say.

Is there any chance though of something not being properly fitted/installed to your car? this sort of noise and behaviour you describe resembles to the symptoms of a transmission system failure. Could you please check that your LT230 is disengaging properly (and not only that the orange light goes off)

--------------------

Buck you have the right to your opinion and no-one is trying the change it. But kindly allow other people to do the same with theirs.
A manually selectable locker is offering 100% nothing when it is unlocked. The KAISER on the other hand (or any other 100% locker with automatic engagement) offers its service even when the driver has not had the chance/time or forward thinking to engage it. And this thing on a lot of occasions can have a huge difference on whether or not you get stuck or immobilised.

----------------------

Red90, you also have the right to your opinion and no-one is trying to change it. Kindly though respect that other people do have the same right. And no one has provided anyone on this forum with the right to insult fellow members.
What we are all trying to do here is to provide input on a specific subject and this is what we are doing.
You may not like the KAISER, you may not like me but no-ones gives you the right to insult anyone on this forum.

------------------------

If the moderators have a problem with me posting since I have from the start stated that I have an active business connection with the company manufacturing the KAISER then they have ANY right to stop me from posting.
But they also have any right to restrict any member who actively insults other members with no reason at all. Unless of course I deserve to be insulted just because I have posted photos and first hand experience and test results from using the product which is the subject of this discussion topic.

I will not continue with the nature and character of people addressing to me just because they do not like what I write or the fact that I represent this product in the other side of the world.

Our discussion topic is "the new guy in the locker market" and not whether some forum members have their own opinions but absolutely no first hand experience to offer and just discuss about people they do not even know.

Best regards
Pantelis Giamarellos
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
A manually selectable locker is offering 100% nothing when it is unlocked.
You make it sound like an ARB goes into 'neutral' if it isnt locked.
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:02 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

I have still not heard, on this board, of anybody running a "manual transmission D90" (as opposed to a discovery, or an automatic transmission D90) who has installed the kaiser lockers and had them operate as if they weren't there - with the exception of not getting stuck.

I accept that my transmission "could be" in disrepair, but I doubt that, AND, I never had this problem until installing the rear Kaiser locker(s).

I really want the Kaiser to work on my MANUAL TRANSMISSION D90 because it is a wonderful concept. Unfortunately, I find myself now having to have it removed because it causes lurching, clunking and clanking on my truck at low speeds and tight turns. So, therefore, IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO HAS INSTALLED THE KAISER REAR LOCKER ON A MANUAL TRANSMISSION D90? If so, PLEASE post.

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2011 07:07 PM ------

Hi Ian. Yours is an automatic transmission D90. What about the other?
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:40 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Hi Terry,

Are you the guy I talked to on the phone? Yes my 90 is an Auto and the 98 D1 is also an Auto. There shouldn't be a problem with your manual though as those are what this was developed in. The mostly US specific Auto/V8 combo was the one they couldn't test and why they had to make some changes to the front ones after we fitted my front and I reported back. Their shop/demo truck is a manual TDi from what I understand as are most of the trucks that they have sold them for and run them in SA of course.

Did you email Vittorio to tell him what was going on with your truck? I didn't hear any more from you, Kurt or JP so I assumed you where good to go when they sent you the replacement? Are you sure that your guy didn't fit the front one into the back by mistake? I know Vittorio sent pictures of the differences so it should be easy to tell. I haven't tried the new front one yet so I don't know the difference but it might cause issues if fitted in the back I guess?

Laters

Ian
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:44 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I'll add to this, even thought it doesn't help the issues your having with yours, Ian's truck is a auto box as well as the D1 the other one's installed in. These are not anything like a TT or a Detroit. I've driven Ian's truck and can say that you don't even notice it. No noise, lurching, or any of the problems you describe. When we were testing these, the first thing I did was backwards donuts in a parking lot and had ZERO binding or noise. The one installed in Ian's truck has run 4+ trails, HARD, with no problems and we don't take the bypasses or stack rocks. It's even towed a D1 thru loose rocks and dirt, uphill and didn't break an axle or have any problems. These stay locked, and only unlock when one tire is spinning faster than the other because of turning or terrain.
While I can't speak about how they operate in Ice and Snow, I did live in Syracuse, NY for most of my life and can say that it doesn't have the same weird unpredictable driving characteristics of a TT or Detroit in wet conditions. The closest thing to this is a ARB...not a TruTrac
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
max
Terry L. Pierce
1994/D90

Yeah, everything is installed right and, Ian, i don't quite get the difference it would make between the manual TDi and my manual V8, but apparently there is one. Vittorio kept saying "just get it out in the dirt, etc, off-road", and I admit that if snow is any indication, then these lockers would do excellent in dirt, sand, etc; HOWEVER, as I told Vittorio, most of my driving is on pavement, so it really didn't matter to me if the lockers operated seamlessly and invisibly on snow and off-road if it wasn't that way on pavement also. Gee, I wish these guys from Brazil would just come to Norman Oklahoma and tear my diff and transmission down to just see what the deal is. I really do want to know. The telling thing to me, though, is that I have not heard of ANYBODY personally who has had the kaiser on their rear diff on a MANUAL D90 - TDi or V8, but especially a V8, that has obtained the same performance as you have on your auto transmission. Until I do, I have to assume that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle and that the kaiser just doesn't operate as well on my model truck and transmission.
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Check with Vittorio but their shop truck is most likely a stick and they must have sold them into numerous local trucks that are also sticks. I doubt there are many auto 90s in Brazil or SA. You're right though, I don't know of anybody in the US with it in a manual other than you at the moment. Maybe Kurt does?

I know its been fitted to a D1, D2 and at least my 90 but all are autos that I know about. The V8/Diesel shouldn't make a difference in a stick and on the rear. The V8/Auto made a difference on the front because of the different torque curve, etc. which is why they modified it after I tested it on mine.

Mine really is invisible to me in the back. Its just 'not there' until I need it. Sorry to hear that yours is different. I can think of no reason why that would be from the perspective of the locker and how its working whether it be in a stick or an auto.

Ian
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I can't imagine why it would matter if it is manual or automatic. There must be something wrong with the locker. Why do you not just get a replacement? It sounds obviously faulty.
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:07 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Terry, can you try something for me? Make sure the parking brake is engaged, jack up one side of your rear axle so 1 wheel is off the gound and try and turn it by hand. It should turn fairly easily but only in 1 direction and there should be a faint clicking noise from the diff housing while it turns. Try both sides if you can. If it turns without the clicking, doesn't turn at all or will turn in both directions on either side let me know?

If it makes any other loud or harsh noises, grabs or is jerky when turning then let me know that. It should make like a ratcheting noise thats constant with the speed the wheel is turning and it shouldn't be very loud (I can't hear mine work at all from the driver's seat).

Thanks

Ian
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Hi,

We are also now stocking the Kaiser diff,

I ran one in the back of our demo auto 90 for about 2 months, now and then it would make a small clunk like I just ran over a loose manhole cover or ran over a stone but no big deal at all, nowhere near as bad as the Detroit Lockers.

All diffs have their pros and cons, we have found this to be a very small drawback for an auto locker, far better than the Detroit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat