Where do I sign up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Something isn't right. You sure you haven't got a busted a CV/Shaft? You're driving a stick and you've got no noise or funny business from the back right?
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

When I took out the shafts and CVs to install this one of them had next to no oil or grease in it and it was very rough. I couldn't believe it wasn't already broken. I bought a used one in good condition to replace it but it seems to be the one that was in good condition that is making the ruckus. I'll take it for another spin tomorrow and see if it does it turning right as well but I suspect it will. I'll contact Vittorio on Monday to see if he has any feedback but I might need a Portugese translator to make heads or tails of his reply.

Stick on a 300 tdi and no funny stuff from the back.
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad View Post
The one area where I am concerned is in parking lots. If I am on the gas in 1st gear in a slow turn and depress the clutch the front end sounds and feels like it wants to self destruct.
So I met up with Andy today and he showed me this. It only happens as he describes it. Power on and off and nothing happens. From power to disengaging the clutch and the front locker aggressively locks and unlocks at high speed. So if someone with one of these in the front can try that and see if it happens to then. On pavement, corner at full lock go from on power to pressing the clutch quickly. See what happens.

Other than that, you can't tell the lockers are there. Quiet and smooth. I'm sure the CVs are fine.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:10 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Many thanks for your assistance today John and thanks also for the links to the upgraded axles. I'm playing with the fueling now to add a bit more juice pre-boost.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:16 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I can't test that John because I have an Auto so I can't disengage the power I'm afraid. I can turn full lock on pavement from crawling slow to nearly tipping over with no noise. If I go on and off the power I only get the normal drivetrain clunks and a dose of whiplash. "Slaloming" from lock to lock on and off power also doesn't do it. I also don't have the new 'front' locker in mine. Mine is one of the original ones that was for the front or the rear.

Andy, are you going to drop Vittorio a line with your findings? He should be able to replicate your test and try it out with their shop truck which I believe is a TDi stick as well.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I "assume" it has something to do with the releasing of all pressure on the pinion into the ring gear and the locker doing something unstabily with the backlash in the drivetrain. The drivetrain slack in Andy's truck seemed average to me and the suspension was tight.

Ian, can you just pop it in neutral? Might not recreate it fast enough, but you never know.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I'll try and free up some time today to drop him a line with my findings and see if he has any input or can replicate it on their truck.
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

So there are like, what, four people on this forum with this amazing diff and two people are having issues? It's not sounding good.

Andy,
Are you sure your t-case is unlocking? What you describe kind of sounds like what happens when you drive on pavement with the t-case locked. It probably is the diff causing the issues, but you might check the t-case, too.
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Andy,
Are you sure your t-case is unlocking? What you describe kind of sounds like what happens when you drive on pavement with the t-case locked. It probably is the diff causing the issues, but you might check the t-case, too.
No the t. case was unlocked and free at all times. There was no binding except in the very specific circumstances stated. Full steering lock turns were completely smooth on and off throttle as all times. And the noise and vibration was most definitely from the front axle.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:14 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I probably wouldn't have an issue with this, except, when I pull into a parking spot I tend to depress the clutch and let er roll into the space. Obviously at a hard crank this is going to become a problem.

I've fired off an email to Nekarth today and they are quite quick with getting back to you so we'll hope for the best.

As with any product there are flaws that appear from time to time. I think that with the apparent success of this locker and the size of the company in general in Brazil it is unfair to try and paint a bad picture of the product. Did I screw up the install. I hope not because it's fairly simple. I've done this before and the backlash is the only measurement unless the gears are changed out. Snap rings were installed properly on the axle shaft ends and the CV's were in good condition, after I replaced one of them.

I hope that they can reproduce this, or not, on their shop truck. Does it just need to be broken in. I would have thought that my test drive took care of that. It's a unique design to a common product that fills a gap. I like to do things differently and I hope this one was still the right choice. From JPs posts I think it was but time will tell.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Ian, can you just pop it in neutral? Might not recreate it fast enough, but you never know.
Tried throwing it into neutral but couldn't replicate it, sorry. Tried it with both T-Case and Trans.
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just as an FYI: Selectable lockers let you turn them off.

lol. Sorry, I had to. Carry on.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Phil Rosa-Leeke
Phil Rosa-Leeke
1999/Range Rover P38

Have you had a reply from the lads in São Paulo yet Andy?

Phil
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Here is the reply, slightly edited to get to the point.

The noise you hear while on a tight curve at slow speed is caused by the cardan shaft . Once you step on the clutch the drive train does not receive power from engine so it gets num inside of locker as the same is in compensation mode This will not affect/ stress your drive train and it is normal on LR application.

We have tried to avoid this matter by using a inner spring to hold the pinion and consequently the cardan shaft, but once we installed this spring to hold the pinion, the steering got heavier and vehicle tended to pull a little to the inside of a curve.

On automatic transmission this behavior is invisible as the drive train receives permanent drive from engine.
Also, as you get in higher gears (3,4,5) this is less noticeable.

What you can do to minimize this sensation is to let the throttle go gradually and avoid stepping on the clutch while on tight curve or maneuvering. You can also try to enter a corner on gear or under constant acceleration to see if this is minimized.

It is important to remember that you now have a 100% locked 4wd vehicle and driving will be slightly different than before.

I guess it boils down to the slack in the drivetrain that almost all defenders have, at least both of mine have had it. I ran it all week on pavement and it drives just fine, other than the parking lot turn in at low speeds disengaging the clutch mid turn. I've drawn it all out on paper to make sense of how the lockers work and I don't see why this would happen if the center diff was unlocked. It should just run like open diffs. I locked the center diff and the truck just bound up like a rubber band, so there is a definite difference between the two modes. Notably the truck did not have the same reaction with the center diff locked, which would lock the two inside wheels of a turn together and reduce the slack in the drivetrain, I think. I did it on wet pavement too so I wouldn't grenade anything. I doubt the backlash on the ring and pinions could be so far out to do this so maybe the transfer case or transmission is at the root of this, but because it's a rover it's just a fact of life.
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Are they fucking serious with this crap?
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

For the money, time and aggravation, you should have just gotten and ARB.

Old June 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Are they fucking serious with this crap?
Not that I know enough to say with absolute certainty, but my bullshit meter is pinging in the red.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad View Post
On automatic transmission this behavior is invisible as the drive train receives permanent drive from engine.
So is that why I can't duplicate it on mine?
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Phil Rosa-Leeke
Phil Rosa-Leeke
1999/Range Rover P38

I know it's been a while since any more talk about these lockers, but I was wondering what the situ is with them now after all this time. Ian, are you still using them and if so how are they doing?

Phil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat