The Wife needs a "new" rig - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
How about this monster Travelall in Issaquah, WA. 1972 truck with less rust than most 5 year old Rovers. Too bad its on the wrong coast for ya Chris.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

I'm not sure that a 110 could be made nice enough to be my wife's daily driver either. She does lust after MB G trucks sometimes, so maybe there is hope. She is jaded by my Rovers and now has a general distrust of them. I think I could probably convince her to drive a newer RR someday.

We don't have kids yet so I can't predict how much space you need. Every year we do a 900+ mile trip with our 2 medium sized dogs in my wife's car. She has an Acura MDX which I don't hate but it is very boring. I always tell her that I could pack what we take into a 3-series but we get ~23mpg in the Acura on the highway so it isn't suburban-ish. I equate driving it to using an ergonomically correct vacuum. It's just an appliance - there is no joy that in using or owning it.

As someone else said, I'm not a big fan of the part-time transfer cases in most of the domestic trucks. When we bought the MDX, we had just moved north and I told my wife to buy something with all-wheel or full-time 4x4. I also wanted her not to get 8-cylinders and a tranny with more than 4 gears. I was hoping for a wagon or sedan, she wanted SUV.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

Im just going to say that my wife drove a beat up 97 Jeep grand cherokee for 8 yrs and we finally bought the LR3 that SHE wanted and she will never drive another car.....Her words..........take it for a drive and see what she thinks....also the LR4 IMO the tailights look a little honda ricer for me but the interior is stunning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

100 Series Land-Cruiser would get my vote. My lady drives an FZJ80 with lockers, bullbar, studded snows, OME lift. We have a steep, winding and difficult private road and driveway up to our house and it has been unstoppable in the snow and very reliable. It is cool to have lots of cars with personality and character but for a daily appliance for the lady I will gladly opt for the japanese bulldozer over the "fine british vehicle that best reflects my fine pallet". It has a bullbar so when she smashes into things (mostly fluffy animals and trees around here) I'm not paying for fenders and headlights, it has lockers so when she gets it buried I can usually get it out, it starts every time.

The 80 series trucks are getting long in the tooth, you can still get the 100 series with a rear locker and some other toys. For the price of a Tahoe you can get a nice, low mile 100 series, throw a bullbar on it, sliders and a rear bumper and the wifemobile is ready to shrug off parking dividers, stop signs, pedestrians, volkswagens, cabs, etc.

If you do buy a GM think back to this thread when you need to replace the front wheel bearing hubs and the electronically actuated 4wd takes a dump and you hate hearing the gov-lock rear end bang around every time it snows.

Edit - They are full-time 4wd too.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:28 AM
MudD1
Jeff
Hippert's 1994 D90

my wife and i are looking at these.
http://www.midwestautomotivedesigns....=model&model=1
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
You failed to mention how many kids you have to be in need of a German "short bus" Those things are unbelievable by they way. I cant imagine what it costs.
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
How about this monster Travelall in Issaquah, WA. 1972 truck with less rust than most 5 year old Rovers. Too bad its on the wrong coast for ya Chris.
Nice Cornbinder. I always wanted a Scout when I was a kid. I'd tried to get my dad to get one instead of the various Broncos, Cherokees and pickups he had, but being in the North East they were always rust buckets.
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:51 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Nice Cornbinder. I always wanted a Scout when I was a kid. I'd tried to get my dad to get one instead of the various Broncos, Cherokees and pickups he had, but being in the North East they were always rust buckets.
Scouts are the best. Before I got into Defenders I drove a Scout II for almost 10 years as my daily driver. I loved that truck. 345 V8 auto. Never once failed me. I put over 150k on the truck,sold it to a friend,now it have 320k on it and he is just starting to have trans problems. Awesome trucks.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil View Post
Scouts are the best. Before I got into Defenders I drove a Scout II for almost 10 years as my daily driver. I loved that truck. 345 V8 auto. Never once failed me. I put over 150k on the truck,sold it to a friend,now it have 320k on it and he is just starting to have trans problems. Awesome trucks.
I have a pretty cool pic of one I drew in high school. Maybe one of these days I'll scan it in. If you dig Scouts, I think you'd like the drawing.

Everyone that I've talked to that has had a Scout has loved it.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I have a pretty cool pic of one I drew in high school. Maybe one of these days I'll scan it in. If you dig Scouts, I think you'd like the drawing.

Everyone that I've talked to that has had a Scout has loved it.
I will try to get pics of my friends Scout. He has a 79 Scout II that he put a Chevy Vortex motor in(a 350 from a 99 truck I think). It is hardcore drool material. I have never in my life seen such a modified vehicle look so stock and so good in my life. Next time I am at his shop I will try to get some pics.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil View Post
I will try to get pics of my friends Scout. He has a 79 Scout II that he put a Chevy Vortex motor in(a 350 from a 99 truck I think). It is hardcore drool material. I have never in my life seen such a modified vehicle look so stock and so good in my life. Next time I am at his shop I will try to get some pics.
Please do!
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

2 kids, mom and dad, dog and luggage fits into an LR4 no problem. For extra space add a roof rack, looks cool anyway. If you are a fan of Land Rover then the LR4 should be tops on your list. I fit 2 1620 pelican cases, and 4 1550 cases, and an Engel 17 fridge into one with the second row seats in the up position and I could have fit more if I wanted to stack them to the ceiling. Huge cargo area.
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
[QUOTE=discotdi;207251]2 kids, mom and dad, dog and luggage fits into an LR4 no problem.

Yeah i see how that could work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/discoweasel/376204536/
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

perfect fit.
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Have you seen the Conquest Knight XV? Very safe.

http://conquestvehicles.com/knight-xv.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat