The Skinny on California Registration? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 9th, 2014, 11:48 PM
adamclyde
Adam
'83 110 V8

The Skinny on California Registration?

A newbie question. Since posting an initial query a few months ago, I've been reading and searching here on this forum to glean as much as possible about trying to register a defender in CA (NAS models, so far, have seemed to be well out of my price range).

So far I've gotten some some good info - thank you. Frankly, a lot of it scares the bejeezus out of me (like this thread from a few years ago). So, I'm hoping to check my understanding with you guys that have gone through this here in CA, and consolidate some of that learning into one thread.

Here's what I'm understanding so far:
  1. Trying to register a diesel defender is pretty much a complete non starter. Correct? I did call the DMV once and they seemed to say it wasn't. But tribal knowledge here seems to differ. I lean toward trusting the latter.
  2. Importing directly into CA seems to be doubly difficult. So buying one already cleanly titled/registered somewhere in the US is a better bet. Correct?
  3. Even if titled somewhere in the US, does it still have to go through the big CARB process mentioned here for Grey Market registration? How onerous is that? Is it akin to Neill's comment in the link above?
  4. So, what else should I realistically expect? Is it worth it?

All these defender importers and online sources make registration and importation sound so easy. If only. But I really want to go in this eyes wide open and not be taken by an aggressive seller. Thanks in advance, guys.

------ Follow up post added December 9th, 2014 08:54 PM ------

Does the year of the defender have much of a difference in the registration/emissions compliance. What I read on this thread was that even for cars older than 25 years, it required the same compliance as a modern car because it was a grey market vehicle. but I haven't found good info to verify or clarify that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Give me some time to get to work with some coffee in me and I will answer all of your questions....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:34 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
OK... sorry I didn't get to this earlier, it was one of those days at work where the phone just rang constantly, I had 3 conference calls, and then a video call to Hawaii, Japan, and Australia. To make things worse I had planned to go to the base brewhouse during a 2 hour block of free time to eat and have some suds and they had the damn place closed for maintenance. Dealing with Japanese speaking military acronyms in English over a cross-pacific VTC is painful enough with a few Fire Rocks in you, and intolerable sober.

I digress.

I will answer each of these one at a time:

Quote:
Trying to register a diesel defender is pretty much a complete non starter. Correct? I did call the DMV once and they seemed to say it wasn't. But tribal knowledge here seems to differ. I lean toward trusting the latter.
There is the letter of the law, and then there is what you might get away with. California will accept the fact that your vehicle does not meet DOT safety standards. What they will NOT let you get away with is a vehicle manufactured after Model Year 1975 that is not approved by either the California Air Resources Board (CARB) as a California truck, or approved by the EPA as a Federal Standards truck.

This is NOT the same as a Smog Check. Smog Checks are simply to validate that a vehicle model that has already been tested as CARB compliant remains within standards.

If the vehicle is coming from out of state, you will need to perform VIN verification with a DMV employee. As part of that process, the employee will be looking for a sticker that states the vehicle meets either Federal or California emissions. Every single vehicle since at least 1975 has this sticker. Go outside, pop open the hood of any modern car in your driveway, and there will be a sticker either on the hood, near the radiator, or possibly on the driver's door frame that states this.

If your truck doesn't have this (and it won't), you will be punted to a CHP inspection for further investigation. If you actually go to the CHP, this will end badly with them telling you it is illegal.

Many folks have found friendly DMVs that check the boxes on the forms that state the vehicle has the magic sticker, due to either apathy or sympathy.

This is truly the only way you will get it registered, on a hope and a prayer. Be forewarned that we have heard from several people that all mid-80s Land Rover titles/registrations are now being sent to Sacramento for review just for this reason.

Quote:
Importing directly into CA seems to be doubly difficult. So buying one already cleanly titled/registered somewhere in the US is a better bet. Correct?
Correct. A direct import will be a complete nightmare.

Quote:
Even if titled somewhere in the US, does it still have to go through the big CARB process mentioned here for Grey Market registration? How onerous is that? Is it akin to Neill's comment in the link above?
So, what else should I realistically expect? Is it worth it?
This ties in to the original question. If you get punted to CHP, it will end badly. You simply cannot get a Tdi Defender to meet modern 2014/2015 standards.

The only good news about the VIN verification is that if you *do* get sent to CHP, there isn't anything entered into the computer, so you can shop it to another DMV. But keep in mind you are in fact circumventing California Law.

The only legal way to import a grey market Defender into CA is to convert the engine and emissions systems to a California or Federally approved variant. You will need to follow all rules (like a smog check) for the model year of the engine. The engine must be at least the same model year as the vehicle.

The 2 most promising ways forward are the engine in the Ford Transit that should be the latest Puma variant, and will most likely be a close bolt in for the Defender since it's being used in the ROW models today, and conversions such as Nick's LS motor transplant. Since both of those engines are California compliant, as long as you include all of the required systems the DMV will accept it as a valid engine swap. You may have to go to a Referee for a more in depth inspection, but as long as you included all of the smog components, and any aftermarket parts have an EO number, you will be good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2014, 07:38 AM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

ca title

2 Quick question:

If the truck was previously titled/ registered in CA for many years than registered in another state for a while can it go back to CA without problem.

What if a different diesel was installed? i.e. the 19j TD got replaced with a 300tdi?

Thanks in advance -Gustaf
Old December 11th, 2014, 10:18 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupetz View Post
2 Quick question:

If the truck was previously titled/ registered in CA for many years than registered in another state for a while can it go back to CA without problem.

What if a different diesel was installed? i.e. the 19j TD got replaced with a 300tdi?

Thanks in advance -Gustaf
Gustaf,

As soon as the truck is re-titled in another state you will need to start all over. It will NOT matter that it was previously titled in California.

If the Diesel installed was a Federally approved engine that is as least as new as the model year of the vehicle, and has all required emissions systems installed with it, you have a good chance of being OK. You will most likely need to go through the CHP/Referee process, unless the DMV believes your story at face value.

Old December 11th, 2014, 09:47 PM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

CA ?s

Hmm ok, thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. -Gustaf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat