Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor
The Rockaways - Part 2

This time we drove our bikes into Far Rockaway:

Far Rockaway - Sunday, November 11, 2012

Our initial plan was to meet up at a church in Brooklyn, but Roy had already gone by the church on Saturday to pick up supplies and deliver them to Tottenville, Staten Island. He texted me and told me that the donations in Brooklyn had been picked up already so we decided to pick up donations at Astoria Recovers. Ted, Chris, Agi and Eugene met us in Astoria at 9:30. Astoria Recovers was also low on donations but they told us that the Flushing Town Hall (718 463 7700) had supplies that needed to be distributed as well, so with Ted's great navigation skills we headed down to Flushing.

The Flushing Town Hall was closed, so we started talking about picking up more supplies from a CVS or other stores in the area. As we were trying to figure out where to go I noticed one of the workers from the town hall had arrived and told him we were there to pick up donations to bring to the Rockaways. He made a phone call to check that it was ok for us to pick take the supplies. After he got the ok we started to load up our bikes with donations.

Again, Ted took the lead and got us to the Rockaways quickly. We headed to Beach 113th (west side of the peninsula), the same location I was at last weekend with my wife. This time the area was filled with volunteers and organizations distributing food and supplies. We chose not to leave our donations there and headed over to one of the churches on our list. We rode over to St. Camillas Church on Beach 100th and Rockaway Beach Blvd. Roy and I checked out the church's distribution area (on Beach 100th Street) and realized they had plenty of food and donations so we decided to go to a church on the east side which needed supplies.

We followed Ted to St. Gertrude on 38th and Beach Channel Dr.

The church had organized the supplies into different rooms so it was easy for the volunteers to pick up items to distribute. Volunteers were going door-to-door asking people if they needed help cleaning their homes or apartments and distributing water and other supplies. Agi asked someone from the church if we could volunteer and they said they needed people to go door-to-door and ask residents what could the church volunteers do for them. We were asked to write down the address and the type of help they needed (supplies or cleaning assistance). We divided into three groups and hit the road; being on our dualsport bikes made getting around the Rockaways easy, there was no power and the traffic lights were not working, and most streets had a thick layer of sand on them. Chris was the only one with a street bike (Triumph Sprint) but he was able to keep up with the other bikes, great job Chris! Roy and I decided to take a little detour and head out to the beach to see what Sandy did to the boardwalk. As you can see from the picture below a large section of the boardwalk was lifted off its pillars and moved a couple hundred feet away along with the light post.

After about an hour of driving around collecting addresses and needs we met back at the church. Ted was asked to deliver some supplies to the super in one of the buildings in the area. Before we left, I emptied out the two full 2-gallon gas cans into the church's generator. We arrived at the building and unloaded our supplies and the team walked up five flights to the super's apartment.

I stayed downstairs with the bikes and started talking to a guy who was working on his friendís minivan. He told me the van had been under water and he was trying to get it running, so far he had replaced the spark plugs, wires and coil pack. Unfortunately, I don't think this guy would've have gotten the minivan running after only a few hours of work since it took me three months to get my old 1979 Volvo Wagon running after being under water in the Noreaster.

It was getting late and we wanted to get out of the Rockaways before the 5pm curfew so we headed out of the area via Five Towns. Ted lead us to the Cross Island Expressway were Chris and I broke off in different directions. The rest of the group headed to Brooklyn for some coffee and Roy went back to Battery Park.

I've also attached the PDF if you want to see some pics. My bike is the black KLR.

Next trip will be a combination of Rovers and bikes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rockaways Part 2.pdf (2.35 MB, 73 views)
John C.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat