Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The Real Deal Overland Journey

I was totally mesmerized by this adventure across the Congo. Modern day canibalism, being chased by villagers wielding machettes, mud, mud, more mud, jungle, savannah. Refusing to pay bribes @ border crossings, driving away from cops, constant pan handling,armed gangs, incredible photographs etc...
The further the thread goes the better it gets.
Its frigging epic.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=50799

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for posting.

I can't stop reading it.
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I'm still going through it. What an incredible story of perseverance and living life on the edge all in the name of adventure.

Thanks for posting the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm such a slow reader...I'm still on page 3. Great story so far.
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It just gets better and better. I was up until midnight reading it. On page 33 now.
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I made it through page 40 and am anxiously waiting for him to post more of the story.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Good read! Thanks Doug.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

well, there goes my day
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I've been reading the post for a while. It is an amazing journey. I check that site 3 or 4 times a day to see if there is an update. I can't wait for more and I dread the ending!!!!
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

very cool , thanks to them for sharing
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Good stuff, had to pry myself away after about six pages.
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't read expo much, and I've heard people moan about how heavily moderataed it was, but I never knew the extent of it. Someone weighed in on page 43 of that thread with comments about how they thought the travellers were unprepared since the didn't have a winch, didn't know how to make basic repairs, etc - and its apparently all been moderated out. Sure, its all debate and speculation, but no one was hurling insults. Even the rebuttal comments have been purged - you'd never even know a sidebar topic came up.

Old November 11th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't read expo much, and I've heard people moan about how heavily moderataed it was, but I never knew the extent of it. Someone weighed in on page 43 of that thread with comments about how they thought the travellers were unprepared since the didn't have a winch, didn't know how to make basic repairs, etc - and its apparently all been moderated out. Sure, its all debate and speculation, but no one was hurling insults. Even the rebuttal comments have been purged - you'd never even know a sidebar topic came up.

It tends to only happen on worth while threads. They let the disco web type behavior roll on others.
In this case I genuinely think they are hoping this guy continues to give his account of his journey.
His response to the winch was that he could buy a lot of groceries and diesel for the price of a winch and
that in the 10,000 kms he traveled through Africa it would have only been usefull in 2,000. He doesn't mind digging himself out an views it as part of the journey. the guy has a very sage view of things having overlanded through Asia and Africa.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah, most of the time (in looking at his pics) it appears a winch would not have been much help. Granted, he maybe could have had a winch AND one of those ground anchor things, but otherwise it looks like trees strong enough for recovery were few and far between in the areas he found himself stuck.

Still reading...I'm just glad it's past tense!
Old November 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Pretty cool journey. Except for the fact that the Congo is extremely dangerous. From the pictures on the first few pages I wonder why they got stuck in the first place. They had plenty of room to take a better line that would have resulted in them not getting stuck as much.

edit: just got to the last page. Fascinating to say the least. I learned a lot about the culture and negotiating money. A winch would have helped. The question is...how much? Also, the batteries and alternator would have probably died with the amount of usage the winch would have gotten. HD axles and lockers (and correct bolt troque) would have probably helped a lot.
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I made it through page 40 and am anxiously waiting for him to post more of the story.
me too, holy crap! thanks for posting
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:17 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Yes what an epic adventure!

It is so easy for me to sit here behind my keyboard and wonder why they did things the way they did. Until your actually in the middle of that situation we really don't know how we would have handled it. You and I both know that when we take a picture of that incredible obstacle we just overcame it ends up looking like a flat dirt road. For most of us we can only dream of this kind of adventure. If I were ever given the opportunity I would do it in a heart beat, however I don't think I would risk taking my wife. Josephine is something else!

As for the corruption I believe it is probably more common than we think. We are so sheltered living here in the US. Personally I know when we are working in Mexico we are confronted with the same type of corruption. Corrupt boarder patrol expecting a bribe for them to let us bring our supplies across. Granted its not to the degree that they were faced with but it is still very frustrating and I can sympathize with Frederick. We are trying to better their country and do good for them and their children and this is how we are repaid. They look at the color of our skin and automatically assume we are rich, and in reality we really are. We are so blessed to be living here. I'll stop now before I break into My Country Tis of Thee.

Awesome thread thanks for sharing Doug.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Thanks for posting the link! I read through the whole thing in one sitting, I just couldnt stop reading!

Thanks.

Daniel
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
What a great read! I can't help but think that a winch is not that expensive though... especially considering that he's paid a couple hundred USD to the locals to help him when he needed one.
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
What a great read! I can't help but think that a winch is not that expensive though... especially considering that he's paid a couple hundred USD to the locals to help him when he needed one.
Bet a simple detroit in the rear would have made a lot of difference as well (no planatary/spider gears)- but had that broken he wouldn't have found parts like he did for the 70 series diff. I'm cetrainly no one to uestion him- he's overlanded all over Asia and Africa.
But as he said, for the price of a winch he could be on the road for almost a month. He seems to relish his time with the shovel. Love the guys perspective on things and how he argues with people whom are in effect the "gate keepers".

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat