Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:14 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
The other way around

Hey there defender folks! Been lurking here for a bit since I have been defender-less for a little over a year now. Been following the seizure debacle and hats off to Will H for what he's doing for the folks that had their defenders seized and the community in general. I think it's epic since he started D-90 source back in the day.

Anyway, I caught this article on Autoweek and I thought I'd share with everyone. It's not only the ones coming into the US that are being targeted. There's also a lucrative market to export Range Rovers to China and other countries, and the Feds are also targeting these...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/car-...y-questionable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
At least people are buying them. Theft of 2013+ Range Rovers is a big problem. We had three vehicles stolen from our dealership.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Interesting article.

Poor JLRNA is getting it from all angles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:30 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I hope your not serious. JLRNA takes 'customer service' to a whole new level by sending the government after them. Im done with them.

-Jeff
I guess my serious level depends on the person or group who is reading.

I was thinking about posting how Jeep seems to "get it" after reading a few of the latest US 4 Wheeler magazines during a recent trip a couple weeks ago. Mopar is going to offer a HD Dana 60 complete axle for the JK and they already offer a ton of other items that Jeep buyers can purchase at the dealer.

And post how Jeep really has some cool concept vehicles like a FC, FSJ pickup or the low 40. Maybe they will make them, maybe not but people can see them at places like Moab and enjoy them for what they are. Point is Jeep is at these events and bringing their own "rigs".

And I'd post how there is this huge aftermarket segment that caters to Jeep JK owners and all the rad stuff that is getting made. Every piece of a JK has some company trying to improve it and a lot of the stuff is impressive. I could be wrong but Jeep doesn't seem to mind these companies fixing their product.

And before the NC stuff happened I was going to post how maybe a couple aftermarket Land Rover companies could make a 110 that could "stick it" to the Jeep JK using an imported vehicle as the foundation. Dana 60 upgrade? - pfft - LR had one stock back in the 80's. I would like to see what a 110 that had a full cage, GM V8/auto swap, Exmoor interior, Fox shocks, 3" lift springs, modern 35" tires, armored, with LED light swap would do against a Quadratec'd Jeep JK.

I don't know what LR's plan is but they seem to like bullying their "core" customers rather than get them to "eat/sleep/jeep" the brand like JK/YJ/TJ/XJ owners do.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Land Rover looks to be focusing on the affluent soccer moms to expand their reach. To pull a quote from a 2012 white paper:
Land Rover already has an ideal consumer (active male, high net worth demographic between the ages of 35-54) but might be able to use some of the data in Retailing Communities to its advantage. While targeting "singles [who] are less likely to live in a rural area" would be a great start, a key selling point to "families [who] make slightly more trips and spend more money per trip" would be the efficiency, luxury, and driving experience of the Land Rover lineup. These customers spend a great deal of time in their cars, and might appreciate what the automaker has to offer.Sales figures for Land Rover are increasing rapidly and significantly, though the new car market has been shrinking. There are no plans to change the retail setting, described by the automaker as: "The Land Rover Retailer setting is unique in the realm of retail automotive experiences, with an ambiance reflecting warmth, adventure and world exploration. Our relaxed, respectful sales process is one where a friendly and knowledgeable sales representative attends to you the entire length of your visit." Because of the uptake in sales, mainly attributable to the popular Evoque and the Asian market, Land Rover only plans on further expanding its retail locations.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
JLRNA has been working with the aftermarket too. Remember they sent out all of those cease and desist letters. -Jeff
:smacks head:

That's right - Nice one JLRNA!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Mopar is going to offer a HD Dana 60 complete axle for the JK and they already offer a ton of other items that Jeep buyers can purchase at the dealer.
They already do. It's from a J8 military version.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performa...65027/10002/-1
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
LNBright
Leslie Bright
1972 88" SIII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Land Rover looks to be focusing on the affluent soccer moms to expand their reach. To pull a quote from a 2012 white paper:
Land Rover already has an ideal consumer (active male, high net worth demographic between the ages of 35-54) but might be able to use some of the data in Retailing Communities to its advantage. While targeting "singles [who] are less likely to live in a rural area" would be a great start, a key selling point to "families [who] make slightly more trips and spend more money per trip" would be the efficiency, luxury, and driving experience of the Land Rover lineup. These customers spend a great deal of time in their cars, and might appreciate what the automaker has to offer.Sales figures for Land Rover are increasing rapidly and significantly, though the new car market has been shrinking. There are no plans to change the retail setting, described by the automaker as: "The Land Rover Retailer setting is unique in the realm of retail automotive experiences, with an ambiance reflecting warmth, adventure and world exploration. Our relaxed, respectful sales process is one where a friendly and knowledgeable sales representative attends to you the entire length of your visit." Because of the uptake in sales, mainly attributable to the popular Evoque and the Asian market, Land Rover only plans on further expanding its retail locations.

IMO, that nails it. Once LR brought Posh Spice on-board for design consultation, it was clear their target audience wasn't me. They don't 'want' the Defender anymore, otherwise it'd have been updated and would be available here.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
IMO, that nails it. Once LR brought Posh Spice on-board for design consultation, it was clear their target audience wasn't me. They don't 'want' the Defender anymore, otherwise it'd have been updated and would be available here.
I remember walking into Princeton LR when my wife and I were looking for a SUV for our soon to become bigger family back in 1999.

I was into quick little Euro sedans and had just bought an Audi 1.8T earlier that year. My wife had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. To be honest I wasn't all that impressed on the test drives of the Disco 1 and 2 and it's on road capability or power. But the dealer feel grabbed me with a sense of adventure and activity. And that Disco 2 interior and seating position felt so good. We are pretty active and the Discovery seemed to fit us and our lifestyle. We ended up buying a '99 Disco 2 early in 2000. I remember the dealer having events and I would check out the "cool lights" and gear when I would bring it in for service. Had some great trips around the north east with that Disco loaded up with ski/bike/water and most importantly baby gear.

Buying my wife's L322 a couple years ago the dealer feel is different. No dealer events shown, no Hella lights in the service area. No signs of a crusty old Series or equally crusty old mechanic. Weirdly, the new Range Rovers and Disco 4's are still very off road capable but you wouldn't know that unless your searched out and read it.

Seems like LR is kicking out the same target audience that actually helped make the brand.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I remember walking into Princeton LR when my wife and I were looking for a SUV for our soon to become bigger family back in 1999.

I was into quick little Euro sedans and had just bought an Audi 1.8T earlier that year. My wife had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. To be honest I wasn't all that impressed on the test drives of the Disco 1 and 2 and it's on road capability or power. But the dealer feel grabbed me with a sense of adventure and activity. And that Disco 2 interior and seating position felt so good. We are pretty active and the Discovery seemed to fit us and our lifestyle. We ended up buying a '99 Disco 2 early in 2000. I remember the dealer having events and I would check out the "cool lights" and gear when I would bring it in for service. Had some great trips around the north east with that Disco loaded up with ski/bike/water and most importantly baby gear.

Buying my wife's L322 a couple years ago the dealer feel is different. No dealer events shown, no Hella lights in the service area. No signs of a crusty old Series or equally crusty old mechanic. Weirdly, the new Range Rovers and Disco 4's are still very off road capable but you wouldn't know that unless your searched out and read it.

Seems like LR is kicking out the same target audience that actually helped make the brand.
I have the same exact sentiments Don. Bought my first LR in 99 over at LR Parsippany (D1). I too was drawn by the feel of the dealership which coincided with me having an outdoors loving family. Over the years, that D1 which I still have today, had taken us all across the US and back, camping trips, border to border events, MAR, Winter Romps, etc. We've crossed the country 3 times with it and it still runs like a top to this date.

Over the years, I was lucky enough to own a 94 NAS and dumb enough to sell it too. I also had an opportunity to own a ROW 110 which took us many places as well, including one epic 3300 mile trip that involved D90 folks helping me out with a broken alternator.

I still do own a "modern-day" rover in the form of my 06 Supercharged L322. While it is a very solid vehicle and it too has taken us places, it does not have the character of the LR's of old. It's actually reliable!!!

Sadly, the few times I've been at the dealerships lately, it's definitely a much different feel. 22" chrome rims in place of steelies on their displays, yuppie golf shirts instead of the outdoor gear that they had before - but yet they still keep showing videos of past camel trophy's and continental divide trips. Their client base now are the Kardashans-type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If I showed up at a dealership in my DD, probably would get more respect than if I showed up in my Land Rover.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:24 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I"m the optimist of the group. I may stand alone on this, but I believe that when they introduce the new Defender to the US, if it's only half of what ours are today, there will be a total resurgence in the outdoor focuses, off road enthusiast demand that LRNA does not have a pulse on today. I thought the JK might have caught Jeep a bit by surprise, and I'm guessing the same. Sure there will be a lot of mall crawlers and socker moms driving them, but I think the enthusiast sub-pop will be dramatically larger than it is now with current models.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:42 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Our local dealer has no clue what the 80" or the 109 are and doesn't want anyone at their "events" who hasn't bought the.vehicle from them.

I now see where their short sighted "marketing" schemes come from...straight from the top.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

They gonna have to change the name of this forum to "Classic Defender Source" to keep out all the soccer moms

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat