The most "makes sense" explanation for the end of the current Defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 28th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Except the doors on a TJ or JK are not much longer.
I'm pretty sure this door size isn't a real problem, or even if it is, it's not a hard one to correct:

Defender 130 Beach Runner

Old January 28th, 2016, 12:27 PM
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
The only one I have ever sat in seemed to me that the steering wheel was closer than that my 90's found the cabin was more cramped than the LR. Maybe it's the 15.5"wheel I have fitted?

Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:53 PM
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU
Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
Mercedes is looking to come out with a 4 door pickup truck. So maybe LR will join them and secede the slightly lower priced class to jeep and toyota tacomas/hiluxes
The Defender was always a tier above the Wrangler in regard to MSRP.
-1994 Wrangler MSRP - 15-22k
-1994 Defender 90 MSRP - 28k ST

Build a true off road oriented vehicle, price it at 60-75k, and you will remain 20k over the Rubicon and 40k below the Gwagen. We will be disappointed, as I suspect Doug's H2 comparison will be more accurate than a parallel to what Mercedes or Jeep are offering currently. Damn shame.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
My take, and I'm probably completely wrong, is that the business model being used has already ceded the minimalist/offroad market to Jeep and Toyota and is aimed @ the more upscale buyer/ "overlander" demographic. I haven't followed the spy articles about what the new truck might be but I'd bet it will be built on the same platform as one of the other models with simply a different design that pays some homage to the predecessor. Kind of like how the H2 was built on a Tahoe platform but meant to look a little like an H1. Its just not profitable anymore to build vehicles the way the defender was built. Again probably wrong, but I think the values for this truck will continue to rise as supply falls. I do hope some cottage industry types take up making the parts for the trucks. We have taken the nto/new take off parts like tdci doors and bulkheads and seats for granted, that's over. Then again if TATA starts building them in India as you guys said in the other thread, game on, containers of NTO parts from India ! Meeting up in Chesapeake Virginia @ Big Ugly Brewery with forum members, Robert the Davis, Mark Garrenton, Rick Newman, and Trey to raise a pint to the day tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining the fellowship is welcome.

It makes sense that JLR will use an existing platform like the LR4 or upcoming LR5. It will be great on and off road, quiet, and smooth. All JLR has to do is make a "cool looking Defender" top and they will sell. But...I feel like the Defender roots will be lost.

Like others have said before JLR should split Land Rover and Range Rover. I think the current line up for Range Rover is good and they seem to be doing well with it. And I think the new Defender could work well under the RR umbrella.

But they could be doing battle against Jeep and Toyota and even Chevy/Ford/Dodge in mid trucks. They could split off Land Rover and do this:

- make them in India
- 3 models: Defender (or maybe go back to Series nomenclature and have RR use Defender), Discovery (mid size SUV rig) and FC (mid size truck/van)
- one ladder frame but top body could have a bunch of configurations ala RRC, Disco 1, Defender
- work with smaller off road builders (like Rogue and their horizontal/cantilever coil over design) and come up with a simple but strong suspension and axle design. In this day and age guys like Buck are coming up with some great stuff in small shops.
- if possible partner with GM for engines and drivetrains - why the need to design a powerplant when there are so many good ones available "on the shelf"
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:21 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
The Defender was always a tier above the Wrangler in regard to MSRP
I'm pretty sure current pricing is about the same in markets where they are both sold.

It would be easy for LR to make a modern Defender that retained proper off road ability, be better than a Wrangler and at the same price point. They could make a tone of money and sell a lot more than the current Defender without making a dent in the wrangler sales. This would not only help the sales of the (new) Defender, but would boost sales across the line as it gives creed to the brand.

But, LR does not want to do that and will not try.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
My 2 cents...

It will be built on the yet to be introduced Discovery replacement platform

Top price point will be - an upscale "SUV" type model (we will see it here).

Bottom price point will be - scaled down "Utility" model for commercial applications (we won't see it here).
Old January 28th, 2016, 04:42 PM
1995 SW #487/500
i figure jeeps are built cheap to fuel the aftermarket. folks go out and buy thousands accessories from xyzabc aftermarket jeep vendors, the list goes on for days rovers have thier shortcomings jeeps are garbage period

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat