The Manimal Caffeine debate - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 21st, 2014, 11:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

The Manimal Caffeine debate

The premise is Manimal sezzz there is more caffeine in Espresso than coffee. Well as it turns out he is correct, BUT it's a volume thing. So if I drank 12 oz of Espresso I'b be floating, instead of the normal 2 oz. This of course is all for your amusement and came about because my dog likes to eat roasted coffee beans. Well Starbucks beans because (for Overland) Dunkin (Duncan) is a yo-yo...

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en...presso-vs-drip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:08 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It's a matter of the number of beans that go into each drink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:12 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
A couple of years back I helped a poor fellow troubleshoot and fix his Syncro Van. He was so grateful he sent me a pound of coffee from his local shop, Port Townsand Coffee Roasting Co., a blend called Loop D' Loop. Makes Starblucks taste like Navy coffee by comparison. It seems to contain a less than lethal dose of caffeine. Defiantly will start the motor in the morning. Been ordering and using it ever since.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
A couple of years back I helped a poor fellow troubleshoot and fix his Syncro Van. He was so grateful he sent me a pound of coffee from his local shop, Port Townsand Coffee Roasting Co., a blend called Loop D' Loop. Makes Starblucks taste like Navy coffee by comparison. It seems to contain a less than lethal dose of caffeine. Defiantly will start the motor in the morning. Been ordering and using it ever since.

Ok cool...just ordered some and Dante's Tornado. Hope everything works out locally...Stay safe!
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:22 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I drank a lot of Starbucks before I moved out here. Now that I've tasted what PNW roasters have to offer, I'll probably never buy Starbucks coffee again. The really amazing thing about the PNW is just how common great roasters are. These guys down the street is awesome but there are dozens more that are just as good in a 20-mile radius. Until recently, there wasn't a single place back home in San Antonio that could make a cup half as good as any random place on the corner in WA.

Bill, next time you're down in San Antonio, give these guys a shot: http://www.localcoffeesa.com/
They are the real deal.

/
/
/
/
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:24 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I drank a lot of Starbucks before I moved out here. Now that I've tasted what PNW roasters have to offer, I'll probably never buy Starbucks coffee again. The really amazing thing about the PNW is just how common great roasters are. These guys down the street is awesome but there are dozens more that are just as good in a 20-mile radius. Until recently, there wasn't a single place back home in San Antonio that could make a cup half as good as any random place on the corner in WA.

Bill, next time you're down in San Antonio, give these guys a shot: http://www.localcoffeesa.com/
They are the real deal.
I will...thanks...
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Is it true that the lighter the roast the more caffeine? I thought I read that somewhere but can't remember. Which seems counter intuitive, but I thought they were saying the new blinds from Starbucks actually had more caffeine than the dark roasts.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

One thing I miss about Alaska is all of the coffee shops on the side of the road or in parking lots. These are little drive through or walk up sheds that have some of the best coffee you ever had. For some reason a cute young lady always was working them. When I used to hitchhike along the Kenai Peninsula I would get dropped off near them (great place to find my next ride).
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
When I used to hitchhike along the Kenai Peninsula I would get dropped off near them (great place to find my next ride).
Sounds like there may be some good stories there...
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:37 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Sounds like there may be some good stories there...

The day after graduating HS I flew from OK to Anchorage with nothing but a backpack and 2 fishing poles. I spend the summer hitchhiking all over the state fishing and sightseeing. That is when I got hooked on the coffee
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It was great to finally meet you in person, Bill!

Actually, I said that espresso has less caffeine and less acid than drip or French press. A two shot 12oz americano has about 30% less caffeine and acid than a 12oz cup of drip coffee. It all comes down to brewing time and the amount of time the ground beans spend with the hot water. 15 sec versus 5min. In my opinion it improves flavor a bit when you reduce the acidity but that's a personal choice of course.

Have a great trip to Alaska and make sure to post some pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
The premise is Manimal sezzz there is more caffeine in Espresso than coffee. Well as it turns out he is correct, BUT it's a volume thing. So if I drank 12 oz of Espresso I'b be floating, instead of the normal 2 oz. This of course is all for your amusement and came about because my dog likes to eat roasted coffee beans. Well Starbucks beans because (for Overland) Dunkin (Duncan) is a yo-yo... http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en...presso-vs-drip
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
It was great to finally meet you in person, Bill!

Actually, I said that espresso has less caffeine and less acid than drip or French press. A two shot 12oz americano has about 30% less caffeine and acid than a 12oz cup of drip coffee. It all comes down to brewing time and the amount of time the ground beans spend with the hot water. 15 sec versus 5min. In my opinion it improves flavor a bit when you reduce the acidity but that's a personal choice of course.

Have a great trip to Alaska and make sure to post some pictures!
Glad to hear you made it home...now come the honey do's?!?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That's right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Glad to hear you made it home...now come the honey do's?!?
Old July 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Bill,

I thought this crazy sexy info-graphic might be of interest to you.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smarter-Caffeine-Choices_Infographic.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	99117  
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:47 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Real men, like me , chew fresh and red beans while walking the Cordillera Central, coca style.
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post

This is typical for anyone to have long term memory loss and dimensia after drinking coffee made from coffee beans that were 1) picked before they were ready, 2) and then eaten and subsequently shat by ferrel dogs in the lowlands of Mexico, 3) then transported across the border to Portland in laundry bags overpacked in shipping containers sharing space with cartel coyote victims 4) and then finally roasted in restored pet cemetery crematoriums.

Starbucks should be indicted by international courts for civil and criminal violations by the UN. Unfortunately, 1/3 of the country to include almost all of NY where the UN is at are under the chemical addiction of Starbucks faux-cafe.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

« Row?? | Fire at LRC »