Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 5th, 2016, 01:59 AM
300tdi convert
Michael Giddinge
Late 80s 110 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyUSMC View Post
Probably because they can ship a vehicle for free and don't use an expert like Doug or Will to get it stateside.
Exactly! The recent thread on a friends 110 on the boat and missing a VIN plate is the same thing, although I don't know what happened there because it did have a VIN plate when in Cairo which was the guy's previous post. Military and State staff overseas have all of the shipping and logistics effectively done for them which is fine for normal household goods and bringing back the cars they originally shipped. Consequently, they don't get the upfront advice that they need. They also typically ship in containers which adds to the level of scrutiny.

Good luck to those guys struggling with this and go get em Will!

1989ish 110 300tdi (Bella)
1988 LR90 ST 200tdi (Shorty)
1991 D130 200TDi (TBN)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2016, 04:15 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
VICTORY! Well at least in the most recent battle....I suppose this is a case of “do as I say, not as I do.” Will Hedrick is demanding some answers as to why this happened.
Thank goodness! Well, and Will of course! Classic Big Gov. Hypocrisy! Congrats. First of many (or all necessary) Victories!
Old May 5th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Someone in the Port of Charleston has a seriously bad attitude towards imports.
But absent any accountability, nobody there can be fired for screwing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2017, 12:02 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Any updates on this?
Old January 6th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
The case is currently pending before the US Court of International Trade:

Case No. 1:16-CV-000178
CW4 Charles William Overby, Jr. v. United States

I'm afraid that the "wheels of justice" turn slowly and, as a result, I do not have any further updates to provide at this time. Rest assured that I will keep you all posted and thanks for checking in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old January 6th, 2017, 02:13 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Thanks for the update, Will! I'll ping you offline for a separate issue

Keep fighting the good fight! Is there a kickstarter or similar to help offset (some) costs?
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:49 AM
NWDiesel110s
Mike
1995 Disco SE7 5 spd

Registry
Unhappy Epa

Will will win this. Period. Just a matter of time. He helped me get my Defender back that was "arrested" that terrible Tuesday morning 15 July 2014 (9/11 for Defenders). I'm so fed up with this BS. A soldier serves his country, putting his life on the line and what thanks does he get from his country? No, that Defender is not coming in. Its engine is "illegal". These kind of shenanigans make me ashamed of my country, even my flag. Not because I'm anti flag and hate my country. I do not. I am all for the principles the USA was founded upon. However, my country has changed her principles to something different. Maybe a Trump EPA administration will change things, but I think this particular case is "locked in" or in Diff Lock if you will. We say Russia and China don't have many freedoms, and I agree. But do you picture this stuff happening there? Perhaps, but probably more like pay a bribe and on the road. Enough of my rant.

I think you could reasonably assume LRNA is behind the scenes, though I have no proof. No doubt they hate these old icons and see them as a threat to profits and their soccer momma SUV image they want to preserve. But they still make mountains of money off us on genuine parts. My suggestion is the Defender community seriously needs to show LRNA and the government this is not acceptable. I propose we don't buy any of their new vehicles, products and services and opt for aftermarket parts when possible/feasible. Not even the new Defender should be considered when it arrives in my opinion. And that new Defender may be cool and capable no doubt. But once they start sharing platforms, make it all luxury and add more and more electronics and neuter its manly styling, in my opinion it's no longer worthy of the Defender badge.

In the 2014 case, it boiled down to NHTSA being "concerned" about "safety". EPA when asked on their response was they didn't want to pursue the engine issue. They didn't care. Now EPA "cares". Double standard. Follow the money. Real issue is not EPA at all. Of course many of us already know this.
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:25 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDiesel110s View Post
Will will win this. I am all for the principles the USA was founded upon. However, my country has changed her principles to something different. Maybe a Trump EPA administration will change things, but I think this particular case is "locked in" or in Diff Lock if you will.

Two things; the interpretation on the Constitution and the Bill of Rights has changed over the years as society warps it into what they see as justified.
And Trump may have an affect on EPA laws, but he also seems to have a dislike for things NOT "MADE IN USA".

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Its just such a moronic approach. The engine in it isnt in fact illegal. Its just not the one in it when it left Solihull. So stupid that the grounds are that black & white. He could have a non-running piece of crap engine in it - so long as it was original....and then swap ANY freaking engine in he wanted, and LEGALLY drive it on the USA roads.

Un-beleiveable....keep it up Will
Old January 8th, 2017, 12:01 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Its just such a moronic approach. The engine in it isnt in fact illegal. Its just not the one in it when it left Solihull. So stupid that the grounds are that black & white. He could have a non-running piece of crap engine in it - so long as it was original....and then swap ANY freaking engine in he wanted, and LEGALLY drive it on the USA roads.

Agree it's stupid, but there are regulations and whether you like it not, could prove to cause issues when using a non-type accepted engine in a vehicle (native to US or Imported) in the US. I think a lottery win or lightning strike will happen before anyone get nailed for it, but it is not per say "LEGAL".

Now if your definition of "LEGAL" is plates and insured, looks what is happening in Cali, and this in not limited to Land Rovers.

It's stupid, but the reality is at some point, some government agency is going to see a way to profit and that will change the playing field.
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

An engine swapped into an imported truck after it arrives still has to be EPA certified to be legal on US roads.
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:12 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
An engine swapped into an imported truck after it arrives still has to be EPA certified to be legal on US roads.

please don't take that wrong, its just this has been discussed for years and seems some think the rules don't apply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, import