The Hive Mind Rules - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 25th, 2014, 01:52 PM
pdt
Paul Travaglino
'94 D90 ST #1139; '07 LR3

The Hive Mind Rules

I'm very grateful for this group. I'd like your collective (or individual by mass response) opinions on my '94 ST. My goal is to have you help me decide what direction to go with the vehicle.

First Question: What section is best for this thread?

Thanks,
-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I'm gonna jump in before all the angry trolls pounce on you. Could you be a little more descriptive with regards to the type of information you are looking for?
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO this is the right place for this thread. Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yeah...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b8cb9127e0165ce25dbecaa8ef0294733a46cdb2558b30acaa9bffd35df6abfe.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	103689  
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Here is his baseline. Wow, look at all those Nantucket beach permits....
How is the frame?
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:12 PM
pdt
Paul Travaglino

OK, so I'm looking for opinions on whether to keep it original or not.

It's a 1994 ST #1139.
(I'll post the VIN later for anyone who's interested)

I bought it with 11,000+ miles on it in January and took possession in May. It's got about 13,000 miles on it now. It's in fantastic shape. The previous owner bought it in Rochester, NY and kept it in a garage at his sumer house in Nantucket since purchase and only drove it during the two summer months he was on the island.

Part of me believes (right or wrong) that I should be preserving this in its original state…that I'm merely a caretaker. So that's what I'm playing with here.

The original owner never used his tickford top, so I have that on it now. Love the look, but the zippers suck. Probably a Badger in its future.

He also added two of the older-style foldaway seats, so those were bolted into the tub but have since been removed. I would like to add 4 jumpseats, but (correct me if I'm wrong) those were not available in 1994, right?

And, finally, I'm doing this out loud here to have some fun. No right or wrong answers and it's ok if you ostracize me. Trolls are welcome.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2014 04:13 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
IMHO this is the right place for this thread. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you!
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Welcome.

Really depends on what you want to do with it...

But if you want to modify it, I would highly suggest that you sell the one you have and buy a higher mileage vehicle. With that few miles it is more of a collectors car. And you will probably make enough to pay for a bunch of the mods.
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdt View Post
Part of me believes (right or wrong) that I should be preserving this in its original state…that I'm merely a caretaker. So that's what I'm playing with here.
This direction gets my vote.
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, here's my thing. Everything on that truck is twenty years old. In addition, it has been sitting in damp salty Nantucket air for all those years. On top of that it hasn't been driven much. It's a case of disuse.
I would be caught replacing everything made from rubber to begin with. Follow that with a complete change of all fluids, then a lot of driving. If anything's dried up or ready to fail it'll happen sooner than later.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
change the oil cooler lines first to the stainless steel ones if you have not already. Trailhead4x4 has what you need.
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:32 PM
pdt
Paul Travaglino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
change the oil cooler lines first to the stainless steel ones if you have not already. Trailhead4x4 has what you need.
Purchased from trailhead4x4; not installed = FAIL
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:51 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
PDT, I saw your truck in person and it looks fantastic. In actuality, when sold through dealerships these cars actually had quite a number of available upgrades and configurations. So, in theory, you can keep your car pure to its roots while still pairing it with tasteful modifications from a number of third party manufacturers.

Land Rovers pair nicely with Hella, ARB, Mantec, Southdown, Old Man Emu, Safety Devices, Superwich, SilBlade and a handful of others. You'll see as you get more into the truck that there have been a number of historical partnerships between certain third party brands like those mentioned above and Land Rover. So I think these are generally regarded as tasteful modifications from quality brands that won't take your defender in a direction at odds with the core of the brand.

Another completely acceptable way to keep it "stock" while injecting some of your own personal style into the truck is to look at the vast amount of land rover Genuine parts there are. You can keep everything genuine and therefore "stock(ish)" but still have a drastically different 90. Take my rims for example, they add a military/retro series feel, but the truck still says "defender" and not "jeep w/ black American racing wheels." They're Land Rover Genuine and feel stock ish. You can literally go broke with just LR genuine add ons and mods.

There are also other brands I usually go to specifically for the interior. There are a couple of genuinely nice upgrades from certain companies that make the defender just more of a pleasure to drive. MudUK makes some nice bits, like the seat rails which give a better driving position. Seat warmers were a key upgrade I did. As far as the interior don't cut anything and use genuine switches for auxiliary devices. The interior panels of these cars are simply to scarce to replace and I most often see people go wrong when they start "upgrading" interior panels and instruments.

If you want to get a good idea of how a defender can really be personalized while maintaining a stock feel, you need to go expeditionexchange.com and go through the wealth of pictures to see tastefully done trucks. Many will say EE is snobbish and they can be, but their trucks usually look spot on.

With every modification I always ask "can I return the car to bone stock without much effort?"

Best rule, as in life, is Keep it Simple and you can't go wrong.

Here's my vote for your truck:

OME springs and shocks for slightly better stance and to offset the look of the Hella 4000s (they're a big light).

Badger Top

Maybe Mantec Snorkel if you really want

Otherwise she looks good!
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
After the oil cooler lines, put some black NAS 110 steel wheels on that bad boy and you'll be all done.
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:34 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

you need to get a SW now too, so it has a friend.......

Seriously, what do you want to do with it and what will you be using it for? For example, is it a winter car for the days you don't want to take out your regular car? Or is it for heading to the beach in the summer? Are you going to go rock crawling or just some dirt roads to go fishing or anything in between? Are you the only one driving it, or will your wife, kids, significant other drive it too?

I have a '95 Black ST. It is in really great shap, except the paint is totally beat. I was going to paint it, but the beat paint is growing on me.... Live with it for a little while before you decide!
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:41 PM
pdt
Paul Travaglino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruti View Post

With every modification I always ask "can I return the car to bone stock without much effort?"

Best rule, as in life, is Keep it Simple and you can't go wrong.

Here's my vote for your truck:

OME springs and shocks for slightly better stance and to offset the look of the Hella 4000s (they're a big light).

Badger Top

Maybe Mantec Snorkel if you really want

Otherwise she looks good!
Yeah.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2014 11:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
After the oil cooler lines, put some black NAS 110 steel wheels on that bad boy and you'll be all done.
Love those wheels.
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:52 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

maybe with NAS 110 wheels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	103710  

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:04 AM
pdt
Paul Travaglino

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
you need to get a SW now too, so it has a friend.......

Seriously, what do you want to do with it and what will you be using it for? For example, is it a winter car for the days you don't want to take out your regular car? Or is it for heading to the beach in the summer? Are you going to go rock crawling or just some dirt roads to go fishing or anything in between? Are you the only one driving it, or will your wife, kids, significant other drive it too?

I have a '95 Black ST. It is in really great shap, except the paint is totally beat. I was going to paint it, but the beat paint is growing on me.... Live with it for a little while before you decide!
Well...I started out wanting and still want a 110. Like a late 80s that I can get pretty creative with. My LR3 has seen better days cosmetically but is still a beast at 60,000 miles. I'm trying to decide what to do with that as well. The 90 is not needed for the winter; it's probably more a fun summer vehicle at this point, even though it will be driven year-round because my wife and two boys love it so much. (My wife only disagreed with the purchase briefly until she drove it...then she thanked me for her new truck.)

Love black, btw. If not for the low mileage on this one, I would have held out for a black one.

------ Follow up post added September 26th, 2014 12:07 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
maybe with NAS 110 wheels?
Very nice!
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:18 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

mine is "cough" highly stock... TF PS lift, arb, SW doors, a lot of badger bits, light cannons, LR things, and exmoor interior stuff. I like boosts so there you go and for now a daily driver (has been for 6+ years actually, with 2 kiddo's)

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat