The Great Chicago Oil Slick.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 27th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

The Great Chicago Oil Slick....

Here's a little something to brighten your Monday.

I don't exactly know why, but my truck is always fighting me. I buy it the finest oils, and grease, keep it well maintained and in tip top shape. Doesn't matter.

It is sunny and 73 in Chicago. The Amsoil arrived from Roversnorth with the new brass washer. I bought a K&N gold filter and Valve Treatment from EE came a day later. I had them arranged within easy reach in the driveway, and was ready for a quick clean oil change.

I remove the oil cap on the engine and dipstick, and clean them off per the shop manual. This was going to be just as easy as the Jeep or the VW I thought. I crawl under the rover and locate the drain plug. Hmmmmmm, kinda weird how it's off to the side. I position the oil pan for the old oil. Perfect. No mess on my driveway today. I crawl under and begin to unscrew the drain plug. Oh shit! Missed judged the oil something fierce. 2-3 quarts gush out onto my driveway. I am getting a shower in old oil and cursing like a sailor. Oil flows over my driveway. Damn. Even worse is the guy mowing his lawn across the street drives his mower into an oak tree. He can't take his eyes off the quarts of oil on my drive way. I wait. Then it comes. Oil Change? he says. I reply that I am redoing the blacktop. Oil drains. Neighbors are miraculously appearing in windows now watching in horror. Screw it. Fill with new oil. Onto the filter. Cept' my friend DJ has my filter wrench. No big deal. I'll stab the offending filter with a screw driver and viola! My ass. Screw driver won't pierce the filter. Mowing neighbor is now wondering why I am pounding on my truck in the middle of a large oil slick. Finally, the screw driver is in. I turn. Nothing. Won't budge. Better yet, oil is now pouring on me, yet again. F bombs are dropped again. Louder than before. Filter finally gives into the oil monster thrashing under the rover. I change it and am done. I jump into the rover and turn her over. Ahhhh. Almost done.

This is when I realize that I am now sitting on brand new Badger Coachworks seat covers - covered in oil. I luck out, no major stains. I toss the seat into the lawn frantically trying to get the cover off. Success. Mower guy is now laughing at me. I resist the urge to give him the finger. Seat covers now go into the laundry room to soak in detergent before washing. I emerge from the garage. Just in time to bump into my new neighbors - been there less than a week. I am muttering to myself. Pissed off. I hear Mike the new neighbor, say this is eric our neighbor, nice guy.... Then he stops. He sees me now. His father looks at me in horror, then sees the rover. Oh, he says, it's a land rover huh? They depart hastily. Oil is pooling in the low spots on my driveway. No problem, I just bought cat litter. Nope. that was last weekend and it's still on the to do list this weekend.

Defeated, I grab a litter box. Ripe, since I hate cleaning them. Mower guy stares as I dump old litter and cat shit onto spill. It works. Oil is absorbed and the chaos is starting to lull. Cept now I have cat shit all over my driveway. I bag the oil soaked litter as best I could, and pour simple green on the shadow of the exon siepmann. Agitate it with a broom and there's no trace. Except have my asphalt looks shiney black and new, and the other half looks worn and grey.

I hang my head with shame as I go inside and begin to mix a huge margarita with a triple shot of Cuervo. Skip the mix and down about 5 shots.

The rover is always fighting me.......Can't wait till 3000 to change it again. Maybe I'll call mower neighbor so he can sit comfortably in a lawn chair next time.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Been there, done that
I now put a large sheet of hardboard on the drive and hold the bucket really close to the drain plug hole.I let the sump plug fall into the bucket with the oil and recover it later. Also the hardboard lets you slide out of the way real quick if the hot oil goes in unanticipated directions
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LMAO, You are not alone! I like to change my oil over someone elses house, I say hey do you want too learn how to chang the oil in your car? They are like "yeah but I don't know, I don't want to mess anything up". So I say "well I need to do mine I'll come over your house and teach you how to do it on my Defender". Ha ha Suckers

Just kidding,

But check these out.

http://www.sf.hiof.no/~frodehaa/service/engineoil.htm

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT..._oilchange.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:43 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
As the boys said, your not alone. I was stupidly wearing a nice, new mountain hardware jacket at the time an old GF had just given me as a present. I did the exact same and proceeded to turn it into an oily fleece. Now it's so faded from use and wash, you couldn't tell. But lessons learned on changing the oil in a rover.

Also, BWO has some nice wall art in their shop. My last oil filter on my removed 4.0. They had to use a chain wrench to get it off. Seems to be common.
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:17 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

BRILLIANT STORY Eric. Laughing uncontrollably. The Oil Monster and Exxon Siepmann! Hahahahahaa!

Oh, I swear by hitting the drive through oil change. You can even supply your own at most and they charge a little bit to do it (5 minutes). Of course, no mess, and they dispose, etc.
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:15 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Hilarious Story Eric!

Funny thing is I was changing my oil that day too and not to brag, but its never gone more smoothly? I couldn't believe it myself.

I didn't get any oil on myself or burnt by the cats. when I went to drain the sump. No spills of Exxon proportions. No annoying extra trips to the store for that quart of oil I didn't account for. I didn't misplace my filter wrench this time and hence, I didn't have to use my most robust Phillips to remove the filter, which as you know is always a complete disaster. It seems as if it was your day to carry the torch!

DJ
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

That is too funny. Mostly because it resonates with me as well. About a week ago, I changed my oil and the same thing happened. I still have two huge oil stains on my driveway.
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Well it's comforting to know that I am not the only one.

I plan on changing the Oil in neighbors driveway next time. Hell I'll even dump the litter box in his driveway even if I don't spill. It can be my "finishing Move" if you will.. That or I'll change it over the virgin half off my Driveway.

On the plus side though, the damn check engine light is now off. Guess the truck felt a little bad about the whole episode...

EwS
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
been there had that happen. all over the catalytic converter, and the tire. seems Rover woulda accomadated that, go figure...
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:18 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

http://www.funtigo.com/sv4w?g=853016
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Well Eric, it could have been worse. My last change, I actually destroyed the filter trying to get it off. After four hours of trying, had her towed in..... I think Wicks has the right idea, Jiffy-Lube!
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:17 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Sounds like my first D90 oil change. All over the inside of the garage.

My last one went more smoothly. I got an old plastic gallon jug and cut it at a 45deg angle. That way you can use the jug's handle and position it just right to deflect the oil tsunami into the drain pan. That part went OK, but the oil filter did not. It was so damn tight that I ripped it in half with the filter wrench. Nothing like warm oil running up your armpit.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
.... I think Wicks has the right idea, Jiffy-Lube!
That's what I use....hit it in the morning on the way to work and they'll do it for $19.99. They supply the oil and filter even and handle disposal. I figure $20 is worth not having to deal with oil everywhere. Nice thing is, they know nothing about the 90 and aren't walking into the waiting area every 3 minutes to tell me I need to replace a fuel filter or air filter or even a disgronificator valve. I'm sure they get near losing money on me because they can't sell me extras like I see them do to the poor soccer moms.
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have to save face next time. It will be clean as a whistle. Now that I've mojo'd myself, you'll be reading about how the D-90 spontaneously exploded during the change.

EwS
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

It can be really tough trying to judge where the oil will land when emptying out. Worse, the arc moves inward as the level drops. Autozone now carries a plastic flat can with a much larger mouth. Still, I always have a piece of cardboard for the driveway underneath.

Don't worry, though. I sheared my O2 sensor in half, and the exhaust pipe section had to be torched out.
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:21 PM
PeterMan
Peter Ingebrigtsen

This thread could have been called "My first time"
Did the same thing still have the "waterproof" spots on the garage to show for it (no kitty litter)
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't know Peter, I think some may think something else when you say "My first time"
Old October 12th, 2004, 03:40 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Talking

both "first times" referred to have similarities however, so it still might be OK to name the thread that....

Similarities: Slip-sliding around, hot oil, vulgar words, soiled seat covers, margaritas, and Cuervo...
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I think I may have found the solution to this problem in Pep-Boys the other day. They have drain plugs that are actually little valves, and you attach a tube to them and drain through the tube! If anybody knows the threading on the Defender drain plug, next time I am in that area I'll see if they have one that fits.

Been there, done that. Recently switched to K&N oil filters, had been using Fram "Tough Guard". Oops, the K&N is nice slick painted filter as opposed to the handy dandy easy grip of the Fram. Still, I like having the check-valve in the filter, time for another additional tool.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
both "first times" referred to have similarities however, so it still might be OK to name the thread that....

Similarities: Slip-sliding around, hot oil, vulgar words, soiled seat covers, margaritas, and Cuervo...
Yes very true now that you say that, hmmm now I need to watch this thread more closly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I think I may have found the solution to this problem in Pep-Boys the other day. They have drain plugs that are actually little valves, and you attach a tube to them and drain through the tube! If anybody knows the threading on the Defender drain plug, next time I am in that area I'll see if they have one that fits.

Been there, done that. Recently switched to K&N oil filters, had been using Fram "Tough Guard". Oops, the K&N is nice slick painted filter as opposed to the handy dandy easy grip of the Fram. Still, I like having the check-valve in the filter, time for another additional tool.

-Hans
This one http://www.difflock.com/drainplug/index.shtml . And don't the fram K&N filters have a nut welded to the end to make them easier to take on and off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat