The D130 is 25% duty fee Tax by US Customs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 7th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

The D130 is 25% duty fee Tax by US Customs

Just like to inform anyone that will import in D130s, that the Customs charges 25% duty fee Tax on the price of the Vehicle.

Dont let anyone fool you and say that it is 2.5% duty fee, IT IS NOT.

Commercial vehicles and Pickups specially are 25% duty fee.

And if a overseas seller tell you that the D130 is 2.5% duty fee before you import it, do not take their word for it.

Better yet have the seller get the vehicle released from customs here in the States then go ahead purchase the vehicle from them, instead of the buyer paying for all the costs.. let the Seller take that responsibility and not you. Have the seller bring the vehicle here at his own risk before you get banged 25%.

Trust me 25% duty fee is alot when the vehicle is over 20k, thats 5k extra just taxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Chicken Tax.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not always guaranteed they'll apply it on an old crappy Rover (they didn't with mine). Or if you want to be safe, slap some seats in the back tub/bed like Johan did and you should be able to avoid it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2017, 05:58 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
Just like to inform anyone that will import in D130s, that the Customs charges 25% duty fee Tax on the price of the Vehicle.

Dont let anyone fool you and say that it is 2.5% duty fee, IT IS NOT.

Commercial vehicles and Pickups specially are 25% duty fee.

And if a overseas seller tell you that the D130 is 2.5% duty fee before you import it, do not take their word for it.

Better yet have the seller get the vehicle released from customs here in the States then go ahead purchase the vehicle from them, instead of the buyer paying for all the costs.. let the Seller take that responsibility and not you. Have the seller bring the vehicle here at his own risk before you get banged 25%.

Trust me 25% duty fee is alot when the vehicle is over 20k, thats 5k extra just taxes.
As a buyer, I would do some due diligence to confirm what a seller is telling me. Some research would have netted you an answer on this, but I think in the past many have been able to import 130's at the 2.5% tax rate.

If you were concerned about this, you could have asked on here beforehand and maybe someone would have told you that you need to prove the vehicle's primary purpose is designed to carry passengers, and not goods.

https://www.wired.com/2014/12/subaru-brat/

"And to get around the Chicken Tax, Subaru welded a pair of seats to the cargo bed, then added carpeting, seat belts and grab handles of questionable utility.
Voila! The Brat was no longer a truck. It was, under the law, a passenger vehicle and therefore exempt from the 25 percent Chicken Tax."
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Not always guaranteed they'll apply it on an old crappy Rover (they didn't with mine). Or if you want to be safe, slap some seats in the back tub/bed like Johan did and you should be able to avoid it.
These Customs people dont know old crappy defenders from a new ones because we can only get old ones imported..
You have to do what you have to do to get away with it, I guess. Just be careful..
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Another reason to use an experienced importer like Doug. You avoid surprises...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Another reason to use an experienced importer like Doug. You avoid surprises...
There are no surprises, the law is the law, rules are rules.

You do what you need to do to not pay this 25% tax,,period.

Just giving heads up for people who are importing any D130s..
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Back in the day when Subaru imported the Brat awd pickup they slapped two backwards facing cheap plastic seats in the back to avoid the chicken tax.
Attached Images

Old September 7th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Ozark Perentie
J.W.
1991 Perentie Double Cab

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-141557943.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	293745

2.5% through UD
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

same here. I put seats in the bed and it came through as 2.5%.

I did the same here in Cali to avoid it being titled as a pickup truck as the reg costs are higher.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
same here. I put seats in the bed and it came through as 2.5%.

I did the same here in Cali to avoid it being titled as a pickup truck as the reg costs are higher.
Its good to know if future buyers import D130s. I got hit with a 25% fee, Luckily my bill of sale was at low price but still. There is a big difference between 2.5% and 25% if the price of purchase is high.

Also it is all a matter of luck. If the wrong Customs agent comes along that knows a few things about the D130s, there is no way in hell you can persuade him/her that this is a passenger Vehicle and not a commercial one. I Paid over 1.3k in taxes..
but all good now..
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
As a buyer, I would do some due diligence to confirm what a seller is telling me. Some research would have netted you an answer on this, but I think in the past many have been able to import 130's at the 2.5% tax rate.

If you were concerned about this, you could have asked on here beforehand and maybe someone would have told you that you need to prove the vehicle's primary purpose is designed to carry passengers, and not goods.

"And to get around the Chicken Tax, Subaru welded a pair of seats to the cargo bed, then added carpeting, seat belts and grab handles of questionable utility.
Voila! The Brat was no longer a truck. It was, under the law, a passenger vehicle and therefore exempt from the 25 percent Chicken Tax."
John, you are 100% right.
If I was truly concerned I would of asked before hand if i needed to prove the vehicles purpose. Its a bit late for that.
But it is a great that we are talking about this so buyers in the future can be aware of this issue.

The article is awesome, smart asses at Subaru.
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ford avoids the chicken tax on every Transit Connect. These vehicles are built in Turkey and imported with rear seats and windows. Once through customs, the seats are removed and glass replaced with van sides.

Just needs a little smarts to run a legal end game around the regulations.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:20 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
If you own it longer than 6 months before import you would still be Duty free correct? I have not imported in a while but I am pretty sure I didn't pay Duty on any of mine.
Old September 8th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Edmond did you import it yourself?
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:46 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post

That was how the Ford Transit, Sprinter and the like got past this tax before they started building/assembling them here.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sprinter is still CKD construction. However MB is building a factory in SC so they can be built here. Should be open by end of decade.

Transit was never imported. Transit Connect is the import with seats etc.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Edmond did you import it yourself?
Yes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags