The Current Defender Market - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST
The Current Defender Market

What do you guys think of the current Defender market? Based on everything that I've seen and the lack of response that I've had from my vehicle...I think it's safe to say that the Defender market is really softening. I think it's because of the new FJ, H3, Rubicon, and other Jeep products in the marketplace. The Defender will always be iconic, but some of the new vehicles may be stealing the Defender's thunder. What do you all think? I have also noticed on eBay that even the low mileage vehicles are no longer commanding top dollar like they once did.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:10 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
The D's value was artificially high for years, partly because it was rare, partly because the economy was good for a number of years etc. Everything is softening lately, interest rates are up, miniskirts aren't in the fall collections, and lots of D's now are just high-mileage used cars waiting to suck up someone's money.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue
That sucks about the miniskirts.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

97 D90 SW
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
1995 SW #487/500
no kidding.
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
Depends on what your asking. Most people ask a very high price initially for a truck that is not worth it. If you ask a reasonable amount you'll be able to sell.

I think the days of getting 40's for a 90 are long gone unless your name is Stuart...

Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
2000 DII
Sweet, who wants to make a deal!!

Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
Are crazy???? Soft Defender market????

We have never been busier and the Defender has now forced out the RR, Disco and even the Series work in our shop. Demand is way high and the demand now is higher than that of just last year.
I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler
I think he means soft for "regular guy who wheels". You'll stay busy of course, there is always a high end market to serve.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605
Just my $.02 but I think the D-90 market seems pretty tight right now. I'm seeing rigs go for a lot more than what I paid for mine two-three years ago. Maybe it's just cause I'm in Southern California.
If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:23 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
eh, I think the net value is the same (or rising slightly) but the fact is the trucks are physically depreciating. A 150k rust bucket is only going to bring 15k now when the bottom of the market 5 years ago was low or mid 20s, however, it is just that the bottom of the market now are bigger POSes than five years ago due to age and wear and tear.
*not legal advice*
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I think if everyone knew what we know on this board (or those of us that work on/built our trucks), they would sell for a lot less but be loved/(hated?) a lot more. The only way I see them as worth money is as a collector that wants a stock truck (usually that person 'aint on this board) with low miles and then "stores" it for driving every now and then. I would never, ever, pay over $35K for a D90--I could build one from scratch for less and have it be way better than stock.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
'95 D90 SW#106
I think the D90s are holding their value way better than any other truck. The price point should depend on the level of maintenance and condition of the vehicle. As you guys know, don't look at the truck, look under it. Most D90's are hitting the 12 year mark now and D110s are even older. Maintenance and upgrades are everything at this age level. Then there are the accessories which can average from stock to over $10K basic, 15K with axles, arbs, wheels etc. and sky is the limit if you include pro-installation. So pricing a D90 is not as simple as saying " I saw one for 15K, then another overpriced at 35K.

Comparable vehicles at this age level also have their problems if not more. More because they are harder to work on yourself, and body chassi rust is more of an ordeal than a Land Rover. Even if you invest in repairs or upgrades, their value do not hold.

D90s getting soft in the market? no way. Income dropping, job loss and high gas prices?, now that may have influence on many D90 owners to sell theirs cheaper. A overall look at vehicle sales would give a better idea. At last look Ford has recently declared trouble..

(Sorry for the long winded post)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat