The 2013 Boxster is comming, going to check it out tomorrow, should anyone care? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
I forgot to mention, the invite also says there will also be a chocolate fondue in the foyer.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,542
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Once the rear is gone in mid you very likely are not going to get it back. Inertia is a funny thing. There are trade offs on both sides. This is why very experienced race drivers like mid engined cars. Their skills allow them to tap the cars potential.
My understanding of mid-engined cars is that they become more unpredictable at the limit as the wheelbase gets shorter. This is because of the inverse relationship between wheelbase and force on the front and rear tires. That is, there's less weight transfer as the wheelbase gets longer. This is the reason why LMP and F1 cars have enormous wheelbases. Even a "short wheelbase" vehicle in these classes are at 110" or over. Unfortunately, not all mid-engined cars are made equal.

Also, there is now a class of "front mid engine" cars, which is basically just a front engine vehicle with the engine pushed back between the front and rear wheels and a transaxle rear. Like a C6R or a SuperGT Honda or Nissan GT-R. I think purists might argue that it's not "really mid engine" but they seem to perform extremely well.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Dredd
Status: Offline
Harlan Boone
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I got invited to a dealer event tomorrow where they are unveiling the new 2013 Boxster...all you can eat sushi...sales guys claims...better than a 911... Always felt like boxster was a girls car.
Ralphie (from the Sopranos) summed it up best:

"A Boxster? I'm talkin' 'bout a real Porsche... a 911 Turbo... a Boxster is a Porsche with panties!"

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care how good a Boxster ever gets, it'll always be compared to a 911, so why bother?
HB
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:32 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
I got a similar invite.

What does the new boxster weigh? Not that I would ever buy a boxster ....
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,248
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Always felt like boxster was a girls car.
The gf says anything made by Porsche is a girl's car... The Boxster is a certainty.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The gf says anything made by Porsche is a girl's car... The Boxster is a certainty.
The air cooler 356/912/911 are not girls' cars. In fact, you almost never see women driving them.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
I never saw a woman drive a 991. Like how many of them can afford a 100k+ car really. And even if they could, most are far too practical for a 911. Pretty much Far and few. Only time I saw a girl driving a 911 was a playboy model on sunset blvd because they get them for free if they bone Hefner. I did see a chinese girl drive a 997 a few weeks ago. but 997 S was cheaper than 991 S so I wasn't impressed :P
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I never saw a woman drive a 991. Like how many of them can afford a 100k+ car really. And even if they could, most are far too practical for a 911. Pretty much Far and few. Only time I saw a girl driving a 911 was a playboy model on sunset blvd because they get them for free if they bone Hefner. I did see a chinese girl drive a 997 a few weeks ago. but 997 S was cheaper than 991 S so I wasn't impressed :P
I see quite a few women driving 996/997/991 around here. Especially the cabs.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,248
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The air cooler 356/912/911 are not girls' cars. In fact, you almost never see women driving them.
Yep and my gf would call all of those guys girls.... I agree with you, but she is a tough audience.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yep and my gf would call all of those guys girls.... I agree with you, but she is a tough audience.
Does she drive an F350?
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I see quite a few women driving 996/997/991 around here. Especially the cabs.

Not in LA, most chicks here are broke. And I'm in Hollywood / LA every week and my favorite thing to look at besides girls is cars.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I never saw a woman drive a 991. Like how many of them can afford a 100k+ car really. And even if they could, most are far too practical for a 911. Pretty much Far and few. Only time I saw a girl driving a 911 was a playboy model on sunset blvd because they get them for free if they bone Hefner. I did see a chinese girl drive a 997 a few weeks ago. but 997 S was cheaper than 991 S so I wasn't impressed :P
Didn't whats-her-name Lohan smack up a Porsche recently on PCH?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
Didn't whats-her-name Lohan smack up a Porsche recently on PCH?

The tmz article said it was rented. Not purchased.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,526
Registry
ZR1 with a cold air, cutback and a 12lb pulley.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Burke's Avatar
Burke
Status: Offline
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Posts: 1,016
Registry
Here's my take as a Porsche guy. Love the looks of the Boxster especially the 1st gen. As they become older/vintage/don't give a shit what people think cars, they will be cool. My 356 is the epitome of a chick car. Small round and cute. But I don't give a shit
__________________
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM
crown14's Avatar
crown14
Status: Offline
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 44 Nas Row, Inter Net, USA
Posts: 3,285
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
I'm probably being a bit of a dick in my posts - so apologies to...

Porsche dickheads don't apologize! Are you sure you aren't a Vette guy pretending to be a P-guy?

------ Follow up post added June 27th, 2012 09:37 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
Ralphie (from the Sopranos) summed it up best:
"A Boxster? I'm talkin' 'bout a real Porsche... a 911 Turbo... a Boxster is a Porsche with panties!"
Don't forget the reason Ralphie's comment was funny because he secretly liked getting fucked in the ass. He also ended up getting the shit beat out of him and getting chopped up in his own bathtub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The air cooler 356/912/911 are not girls' cars. In fact, you almost never see women driving them.
I was told always bring a girl with you when you drive one so you have someone to steer when you have to push. Only, the guy who was telling me this (an old school euro mechanic) didn't say "girl" he said "fish flavored passenger side seat cover".
__________________
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM
JackW's Avatar
JackW
Status: Offline
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Roswell, GA, USA
Posts: 930
Anytime Porsche sends me an invite to come drive one of their new cars I go - it's always fun. Even though I'm not a big fan of the Cayenne I still went to drive one when they were introduced - it WAS pretty damned impressive. The sales staff asked if I wanted to drive the normally aspirated Cayenne or the 450 HP Turbo version - I just looked at him and said "what kind of dumb question is that?" - 100 mph in just a few seconds on a side street in a two ton SUV will get your attention.

I don't think any Porsche is a "girls car" - I even like 914's and Panameras.

4-cam 356 Porsches are just very, very cool however - here's mine:


Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Burke's Avatar
Burke
Status: Offline
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Posts: 1,016
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
Anytime Porsche sends me an invite to come drive one of their new cars I go - it's always fun. Even though I'm not a big fan of the Cayenne I still went to drive one when they were introduced - it WAS pretty damned impressive. The sales staff asked if I wanted to drive the normally aspirated Cayenne or the 450 HP Turbo version - I just looked at him and said "what kind of dumb question is that?" - 100 mph in just a few seconds on a side street in a two ton SUV will get your attention.

I don't think any Porsche is a "girls car" - I even like 914's and Panameras.

4-cam 356 Porsches are just very, very cool however - here's mine:

Jack, I remember reading about your "special" 356. Great to see you still have it.
__________________
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Rented...leased...same thing.

The bigger argument is do you say Porsh, or Porsh-a

-Jeff

I say Porsche ah. I hate it when people leave out the ah.

So anyway I went and the new boxster actually looks pretty good. I test drove a guards red Boxster S. The sticker was 80k! I was wtf! For a boxster too. Its a nice car but its tiny, I thought my 991 was small enough but the boxster is even worse. The worst part is you can't even recline your seat all the way back, and the more you recline the seat you have to push your seat forward jamming your feet into the footwell. So I wouldn't buy it based on that alone. You do get 2 trunks, so I guess thats cool. It's still pretty fast, not 911 fast though. But from the front, in person, looks almost like a ferrari.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Abeer's Avatar
Abeer
Status: Offline
Amarveer
94 D90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 344
Registry
I saw it yesterday too. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the car...very panamera-esque on the interior and the beefed exterior may help shed some of the "girls car" image. The one issue I had with the car was it was sitting right next to a cayman R that was selling for 10k less. I look at that as the sports car version of the D90. Simple and purpose built with no frills. I want one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check engine light mjekogian Defender Technical Discussions 7 February 21st, 2006 02:19 PM
D-90 Door check or check rod question dfscott Defender Technical Discussions 6 November 29th, 2005 11:51 AM
Check engine light and code P1176 wingnut Defender Technical Discussions 5 October 7th, 2005 07:41 PM
check engine light. FREEDOM Defender Technical Discussions 14 May 31st, 2005 01:10 PM
Check Engine light jracenstein Defender Technical Discussions 14 February 22nd, 2005 05:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Copyright