Texas Moto double line crash - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 20th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Texas Moto double line crash

This is pretty big news on a couple of my other sites...I know we have a few Moto heads here.

https://youtu.be/m2A60C_bmT4

Driver Involved In Motorcycle Crash Arrested « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2015, 12:19 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Stung by a wasp my a$$ !!
If I had been the investigating officer, I would have him taken to the hospital and have him checked for stings. If for nothing else to either give credibility or to make the case for the bikers.

Granted the motorcyclist should not have been driving that wreckless. But it's not the car drivers responsibility to enforce law or carry out judgement.
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:34 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I couldn't believe it when I saw it this morning. There is absolutely no excuse--I understand what he said, but what he did is inexcusable....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2015, 12:39 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I'm just about to see it on Kelly!

Ok. Saw it. That's clearly crap! Biker will win, but will also get a double line infraction too.

Motorcyclists push it sometimes, but it's their risk to take! Had one splitting lanes in bridge traffic once, way over double traffic speed. Clipped the guy's mirrors in front of me and yanked his forks. He slammed hard and fast. Guy got up and apologized to the truck owner and swapped info. That's fair in my book.

I'll enforce a bit when people are sliding up closing lanes and slowing people who meshed properly, but that's not malicious like this fella did. The biker would have passed without any issue effecting the autos.
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:36 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I don't have a problem splitting lanes as long as you're safe and considerate. So here between SAT and AUS it's death alley even in a car and I see lane splitting with guys doing 60, 70. And don't get me started how cars literally drive off the freeway to access a frontage road. I've never seen anything like that until I moved here.
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:50 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
One line will lock him up. "I don't kerrrr." (Care for layfolk)
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:01 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Oh, it was clear that the car driver did it on purpose, and he sealed the deal with his 'I don't care' statements. Hopefully they will make an example out of him. Even his day later interviews, where he tries to explain it away as involuntary, he says he won't apologize to the driver of the motorcycle, just to the passenger. Well if you truly didn't mean to do it, why won't you apologize to both??

Yeah, Motorcyclist broke the law, passing on double yellows, hardly a crime punishable with what amounts to the use of deadly force though..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:15 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

The guy in the car was flat out wrong to try and enforce the laws himself. But I also believe that the type of riding shown in the video gives bikers a bad name.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:21 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Gotta feel sorry for the girl...

Driver of car seems to have moved over the yellow lane because he was pissed the motorcyclist was breaking the law passing in a no passing zone.

Regardless of motorcyclist / driver actions, the fate of the motorcycle passenger rests solely in the motorcyclist hands. Lots of ifs here, starting with if the motorcyclist took into account the fact his passengers life was completely in his hands he may not have taken such a risk.

Both drivers should be locked up for sheer stupidity.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post

Driver of car seems to have moved over the yellow lane because he was pissed the motorcyclist was breaking the law passing in a no passing zone.

Regardless of motorcyclist / driver actions, the fate of the motorcycle passenger rests solely in the motorcyclist hands. Lots of ifs here, starting with if the motorcyclist took into account the fact his passengers life was completely in his hands he may not have taken such a risk.

Yup.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:38 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post

Like most, I have done things/ taken risks on a bike, but only when I was by myself. Taking risks when you have a passenger on is inexcusable.

When I lived in Annapolis I'd often be coming down Rt 50, in a car (super highway quality road) @ 75mph and out of no where a bike would pass me on one wheel and ride that wheelie until out of sight.
Often packs of 4 or 5 all riding on one wheel doing 90ish mph.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 21st, 2015, 08:38 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I saw this on the news MOnday night.
Pretty arrogant and stupid move on the part of the old dude driving the car. You'd think somebody older would have less aggression towards somebody not even really bothering him.

I had a guy take a swipe at me (similar to this) while on the highway. NOt that it matters what I was riding, but it was a ZX11 and yes I was "at speed", but I was on the highway, in the passing lane not weaving in-out of traffic. Not only did he try to run me off the road, he threw a golf ball at me when I slowed down to get his plate number. I was about 26yrs old then and I had so much adrenaline running through me after that, it's a good thing the guy didn't pull over because I'd be the one in jail for crushing his skull.

In general people who pull those types of aggressive driving maneuvers in cars (not just to motorcycles) are more an more prevalent. It's amazing how you can take a seemingly normal, average law-abiding citizens who probably goes to church every week and volunteers at charities......stick them inside a car where they feel like the outside world doesn't matter and they start playing GTA behind the wheel. Even with gestures and whatnot. It's amazing how infallible people feel when they are inside their car.

Imagine if some woman cut you in line at the grocery store what you'd say from 2 feet away in person. Now take those same two people jockeying for lane position on the highway......

I'd love to see how awkward it would be to immediately pull both individuals out of their cars and put them in a 10x10 room together to "discuss" their differences.

My point is that people are absolute cowards behind the wheel of their cars.

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2015 08:41 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Like most, I have done things/ taken risks on a bike, but only when I was by myself. Taking risks when you have a passenger on is inexcusable.

When I lived in Annapolis I'd often be coming down Rt 50 (super highway quality road) @ 75mph and out of no where a bike would pass me on one wheel and ride that wheelie until out of sight.

I could not agree with you any more.

Having a passenger is a HUGE responsibility. I hated when people would ask for a ride. I never felt comfortable.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:59 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I used to ride a bike when I lived in Boston in the 90's.
Splitting lanes in city traffic was common practice and accepted back then.
Motocops never hassled any bikers.

I only did it to get to the front of the line at intersections, usually in sub-30mph traffic.
Dont know if that still goes on in the hub or not but I wouldnt ride that way now.
Too many idiots out there.

Also a lot different than high speed lane-splitting like the TX incident.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old October 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
When I lived in Annapolis I'd often be coming down Rt 50, in a car (super highway quality road) @ 75mph and out of no where a bike would pass me on one wheel and ride that wheelie until out of sight.
Except for the wheelies, I see this most every time heading to/from Deale on a nice sunny weekend. Packs of >1-liter sport bikes going 40mph over posted on 495/95 (only the MD side) and 4. Looks to be a PG county thing.

We need to start a thread of "post picks of your old motorcycles here" to keep these stories going. Thinking most of us had that OMFG or HS near bodily dismemberment moment. A few times.
https://youtu.be/FlrAe2JRTMs
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:40 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Correct me if i'm wrong, but If your gopro is running while you're ridding a bike, chancing are you're doing something you shouldn't be.
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but If your gopro is running while you're ridding a bike, chancing are you're doing something you shouldn't be.
Although i suspect you are being ironic ... you are wrong.

Many bike riders run them as dash cams to capture the moronic things car drivers do and then lie about when it comes to insurance claims.

If this scene wasn't recorded it would be the word of the bike rider vs the driver.

How do you think that would have transpired with the rider on the wrong side of a double line?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
I record every ride...I need to record every time I drive no matter what I drive.
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:12 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
What Jason said ^^.
I gave up my motorcycle riding days 23 years ago. But with today's plentiful and cheap technology, I'd hardwire my bike with discreet front and rear fisheye cameras. Something keyed to the ignition that looped 15 minute video segments to a SD card. No buttons, no adjustments. Would assume a simply turnkey system is out there.
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:36 AM
javelinadave
-
-

My money is on the crazy old man going to jail. What a psycho.
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
That is the most ridiculous statement

I have 2 go pro all the time on my R1200

And I tell I haven't pop a wheelie in 15 years,

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2015 11:41 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
This is pretty big news on a couple of my other sites...I know we have a few Moto heads here. https://youtu.be/m2A60C_bmT4 Driver Involved In Motorcycle Crash Arrested « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

The car driver is an asshole, if that was me on the bike and I was able to stand up after the crash, I would have removed the redneck POS head out of the car driver

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat