Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 18th, 2013, 02:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Texas Defender Imports - Chris Stockdale - Anybody know him?

So I saw the orange 110 pop up on the sidebar of d-90 and thought to myself hey that's that 1993 110 that jonathon bought that used to be Kermit's that he painted orange...so I opened it. I read the description (below) and saw that the truck he pictured is not actually the one he's offering for sale but rather an accurate representation of what it could look like. He put his number in the ad so I just did a quick Google on it and it looks like he's a mortgage broker or something out of Bastrop Texas.

Looks like a new dude in the business of restoring defenders to new condition and his ad says "enthusiast" a few time. But does anyone actually know him?

The ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...orcev4exp=true

texasdefenderimports ( Feedback Score Of 0 )

You are currently bidding on a vehicle en-route to the US from the UK. We import Land Rover Defenders that meet Classic title status (25 yrs or older) and modify to your specific desires. Whether you are looking for a true extreme 4X4, or a unique British SUV we can hand-build the vehicle of your dreams. We handle all import documentation, fees, and shipping. The included picture is not of the actual vehicle, but is a sample representation of what your Defender could look like.

Possible options include:
Custom paint of your choice
Custom over-sized wheels and tires
300 TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection) or 2.5 Naturally Aspirated Diesel
Your choice of manual or automatic trans with heavy duty coolers
(Power train warranty for 12 months/12,000 mile with the power train package upgrade)
Air Conditioning
Window tint
Custom seats
Custom interior
Expedition roof racks
Custom tire holder
ARB bumper
12,000lb warn winch
Off road lighting
Rock sliders
Diff guards
Lift kit

All above options are entirely customized to your specific desires. When selecting one of our 300 TDI power train packages we fully rebuild the entire drive train from the ground up. We have a multi-national team including our in-house Master Land Rover Technician with over 30 years experience and a former Royal Marine on staff. We have global rover parts suppliers, and some of the most dedicated Rover enthusiasts you'll ever meet - we bleed green!!

Built by Land Rover enthusiasts, for Land Rover enthusiasts!! We don't just build them, we love them!!

If you would like to discuss possible build options for your specific project, drop us a line at TDIROVERS@gmail.com or give Chris a call at: 512-332-1335
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	texasdefenderimports 110.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	68361  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Never heard of him but Bastrop is right down the trail from me...
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How do you bid on an unseen truck? And what does the "base" vehicle come with? Is this 20k a POS import, then this dood rapes you on all the "restoration" and "upgrades." His ad is extremely vague.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The auction is just a cheap ad for this guy. He knows that he's not going to get any bids on an unbuilt truck. He's looking to catch the guy looking for a ROW truck and turn him onto the idea of a custom truck. He'll probably just pull the closest match off a lot in the UK and ship it over, slap a few things on it, and call it "custom".
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Someone should bid on it and see what they get.
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
So I saw the orange 110 pop up on the sidebar of d-90 and thought to myself hey that's that 1993 110 that jonathon bought that used to be Kermit's that he painted orange...so I opened it. I read the description (below) and saw that the truck he pictured is not actually the one he's offering for sale but rather an accurate representation of what it could look like. He put his number in the ad so I just did a quick Google on it and it looks like he's a mortgage broker or something out of Bastrop Texas.

Looks like a new dude in the business of restoring defenders to new condition and his ad says "enthusiast" a few time. But does anyone actually know him?
I freakin' LIVE for these awesome posts by Josh. Welcome to this week's episode of CSI D-90! Bow down ...
Old March 18th, 2013, 05:46 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
I freakin' LIVE for these awesome posts by Josh. Welcome to this week's episode of CSI D-90! Bow down ...
... actually I think D-90 is a honeypot created by Josh to help track defender's in the US!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Chris Stockdale
Chris Stockdale
2002 Discovery

Good afternoon all. I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself after our recent listing went up on Ebay. I am an Ex-Pat who has been in the States since 2000. Prior to moving over I spent several years in the Royal Marines living and working on the trusty old Landy. I've wanted to bring them over for several years now, but never had all the pieces in place until now. I知 working with a LR Master Tech who has 30 yrs in the business (21 just on LR), and another business partner who is a LR nut. I wasn't trying to put anybody out with the picture I posted, I just thought it looked like a great build that seems to represents the quality of work that we know we can do and will strive to put out. We are a committed group who believes in the qualities that Land Rover represents and seeks to further those qualities. We have spent considerable time and care developing our methods and will be doing ground up rebuilds and we will not just bolt on an ARB or a set of Hellas to send them down the road. I would be happy to post pics as they come so you can get a better idea of what we are about, and Bill, if you ever want to meet up in New Braunfels or Bastrop, we would love to visit with a fellow enthusiast. If anyone wants to call me to visit feel free, I知 available much of the time at (512) 332-1335. I知 excited that in the next 3-6 months there will be several examples of what we do out there in the community, but until then I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you as we introduce ourselves in person!
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I wouldn't buy a used copy of the Hunger Games in softcover from someone with 0 ebay feedback. Why would I buy a $20k truck?
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Welcome. Any pics of the truck that is en route to the States so that we can see a "before" pic?
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stockdale View Post
Good afternoon all. I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself after our recent listing went up on Ebay. I am an Ex-Pat who has been in the States since 2000. Prior to moving over I spent several years in the Royal Marines living and working on the trusty old Landy. I've wanted to bring them over for several years now, but never had all the pieces in place until now. I’m working with a LR Master Tech who has 30 yrs in the business (21 just on LR), and another business partner who is a LR nut. I wasn't trying to put anybody out with the picture I posted, I just thought it looked like a great build that seems to represents the quality of work that we know we can do and will strive to put out. We are a committed group who believes in the qualities that Land Rover represents and seeks to further those qualities. We have spent considerable time and care developing our methods and will be doing ground up rebuilds and we will not just bolt on an ARB or a set of Hellas to send them down the road. I would be happy to post pics as they come so you can get a better idea of what we are about, and Bill, if you ever want to meet up in New Braunfels or Bastrop, we would love to visit with a fellow enthusiast. If anyone wants to call me to visit feel free, I’m available much of the time at (512) 332-1335. I’m excited that in the next 3-6 months there will be several examples of what we do out there in the community, but until then I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you as we introduce ourselves in person!
Welcome!

Looking forward to see the trucks you folks are bringing in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Chris Stockdale
Chris Stockdale
2002 Discovery

No, but as soon as I off load them I will get some posted...there will 2 90's and a 110. And I am on the same page as you Sonoronos, but them I would never buy something that expensive sight unseen without touching and feeling it a little.
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:44 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I'm interested to see what y'all can do! Good luck!
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Greetings Royal, We'll have drop by one day see ya'll (need to get Texan speek)

Ex-pat as well

Wish you well in your quest, if you are in Gaveston, give us a shout.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Chris Stockdale
Chris Stockdale
2002 Discovery

Good afternoon all. I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself after our recent listing went up on Ebay. I am an Ex-Pat who has been in the States since 2000. Prior to moving over I spent several years in the Royal Marines living and working on the trusty old Landy. I've wanted to bring them over for several years now, but never had all the pieces in place until now. I知 working with a LR Master Tech who has 30 yrs in the business (21 just on LR), and another business partner who is a LR nut. I wasn't trying to put anybody out with the picture I posted, I just thought it looked like a great build that seems to represents the quality of work that we know we can do and will strive to put out. We are a committed group who believes in the qualities that Land Rover represents and seeks to further those qualities. We have spent considerable time and care developing our methods and will be doing ground up rebuilds and we will not just bolt on an ARB or a set of Hellas to send them down the road. I would be happy to post pics as they come so you can get a better idea of what we are about, and Bill, if you ever want to meet up in New Braunfels or Bastrop, we would love to visit with a fellow enthusiast. If anyone wants to call me to visit feel free, I知 available much of the time at (512) 332-1335. I知 excited that in the next 3-6 months there will be several examples of what we do out there in the community, but until then I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you as we introduce ourselves in person!

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2013 02:06 PM ------

I get that way pretty regular mate. I'll look you up next time i'm in town!

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2013 02:11 PM ------

Old March 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stockdale View Post
Chris, you might want to be sure you are familiar with how the US rules are currently being interpreted and more importantly being played out at the moment. Based on what I've heard recently re the import of Land Rovers you may have a very difficult time getting the DOT and EPA to allow CBP to release your vehicle for import.

Clay
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
So how is the operation going so far? Looks like bidding ended at $25k reserve not met.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Chris Stockdale - Texas Defender Imports

Welcome Chris.
Nice chatting last week.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Chris Stockdale
Chris Stockdale
2002 Discovery

follow up

Thanks for checking in Josh. We are still in our infancy but things are moving right along. We have a few builds planned and once we officially start I will post pics. Must say, was a little concerned with all that was going on in NC but I imagine that is par for the course. Thanks for all the good information/knowledge that is out there. Got a great intro to the 617 last week.
Old July 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Chris Stockdale
Chris Stockdale
2002 Discovery

Shop up and running with our first few trucks

I just wanted to follow up to this thread for those interested and let everyone know our shop is officially up and running and open for business in the Austin area! We imported out first two from the UK without issue and just brought in our third that is an ex MOD 110 soft top. We have seen a lot of unexpected traffic from local Defender owners (I have two NAS 110's in the shop right now), and some ROW's that has come through. I guess there are a lot more Defenders in this part of the country than I knew about. Anyone who wants to stop by and see the shop, or just shoot the ... is always welcome - We have some pretty cool neighbors too, from an Indie car engine builder to custom gunsmithing next door - big boys toys all around!

As promised, I have pics (sorry about the orientation), so while they are a little rough and ready right now in their ugly duckling stage, we expect to have a couple of swans leaving the shop in the next couple of months.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130531_111546.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	76001   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130610_093012.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	76002  

Name:	20130611_170723.jpg