Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
So.. Just asking Why did you (anyone) buy a tesla? I mean cool looking car, but still limited and at 100k spec'd up for a mod s... Why? Curious...
It's stupid quick, mine's 0-60 in 2.9 sec, 0-30 in 1.0 sec which is more impressive and just brain scrambling. Wanted to be first to experience auto-pilot which is awesome. Cool features get pushed OTA like the summon feature where the car parks itself. Mainly that's is crazy quick and a different driving experience that I wanted to try out. Not a status symbol out here in the Wild West that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Tesla1Defender
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW

Why did I buy a Tesla..well my 2nd? Wanted something different and I believe in the technology. My first Tesla was $75k and sold it for $60k... 2.5 yrs later (NOT bad on Depreciation) and have second one with all the bells/whistles (EXCEPT Ludicrous speed...JQ11 knows what I'm talking about). Nothing to do with status symbol, we live well within our means and I DO want an AMERICAN company to succeed. My Model S is a quality product, great service and just Frickin FUN to drive. If I want to hear an engine...have my D90 and another fossil fuel car. Many other reasons but in same sense why do I like Apple because I've experienced PC (windows based) for years and usually get about 3 yrs of service before replacing. Apple, I have Macs going on 9 years strong. It has been a great experience way back to when I put a deposit down in 2010 before I even saw one. I hope Tesla succeeds and maybe I will be an extremely small part in letting go of foreign dependence on oil (STILL KEEPING THE D90 though!). Before any bashing goes on, I am also a US Navy vet and if an American car company can succeed AND delivers a QUALITY product, I will back it. 0-60 in 2.9 with Insane mode in a $120k car!!!! Hmmmm....NOTHING else competes in that price range! I think Ludicrous mode is 2.6 seconds.

------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2016 06:25 PM ------

Oh, JQ11.... where are you in the que for your T3? You get a chance to read Elon Musk book? pretty damn impressive what he has done with Space X, Solar City and Tesla.
The D90 kept me from reserving the T3..but I'm happy with the decision.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:37 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1Defender View Post
I hope Tesla succeeds and maybe I will be an extremely small part in letting go of foreign dependence on oil (STILL KEEPING THE D90 though!)
I do too. Great looking vehicles and love the American aspect of it all! Any battery smell from them? Had a hybrid Tahoe that stunk like rubber from the second row seat battery bank.

The reliance on foreign oil issue isn't that real for me, or the U.S. for that matter. First rule of national security natural resource management: use everyone else's before your own to ensure that your weapons systems are the last ones with fuel! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:16 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Why did I buy a Tesla..well my 2nd? Wanted something different and I believe in the technology. My first Tesla was $75k and sold it for $60k... 2.5 yrs later (NOT bad on Depreciation) and have second one with all the bells/whistles (EXCEPT Ludicrous speed...JQ11 knows what I'm talking about). Nothing to do with status symbol, we live well within our means and I DO want an AMERICAN company to succeed. My Model S is a quality product, great service and just Frickin FUN to drive. If I want to hear an engine...have my D90 and another fossil fuel car. Many other reasons but in same sense why do I like Apple because I've experienced PC (windows based) for years and usually get about 3 yrs of service before replacing. Apple, I have Macs going on 9 years strong. It has been a great experience way back to when I put a deposit down in 2010 before I even saw one. I hope Tesla succeeds and maybe I will be an extremely small part in letting go of foreign dependence on oil (STILL KEEPING THE D90 though!). Before any bashing goes on, I am also a US Navy vet and if an American car company can succeed AND delivers a QUALITY product, I will back it. 0-60 in 2.9 with Insane mode in a $120k car!!!! Hmmmm....NOTHING else competes in that price range! I think Ludicrous mode is 2.6 seconds. ------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2016 06:25 PM ------ Oh, JQ11.... where are you in the que for your T3? You get a chance to read Elon Musk book? pretty damn impressive what he has done with Space X, Solar City and Tesla. The D90 kept me from reserving the T3..but I'm happy with the decision.
Yea actually 2.9sec is with the $5k ludicrous upgrade - mine is scheduled for that upgrade in 3 weeks! Not sure where in the queue for the 3 - I reserved as soon as it opened online but any Tesla owner that reserved at a store earlier that day is ahead of me - nearest store is 4hrs from me so not worth that. Yea read that book too - good read. Good points too - people seems to forget this is an American car!
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:20 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I put down $1,000 at the store in Bethesda for the 3....figured I could actually make money when it comes out and sell my spot in line for double...if not, just get it. My hope is I can get the wife out of her Prius!
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Tesla1Defender
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW

I thought order of delivery for T3 was:
1. Prior Tesla owner
2. Store que
3. online que, non-tesla owner
Shouldn't matter that much..I know 2017 was the date...could be 2018 though.
JQ11: Definitely keep me up to date with Ludicrous...cannot just the $10k...YET!!!!! I just did the LTE update due to Slacker acting up.
Jonesy: When I put my original $5k reserve down, really did it as a joke to my friend, thinking I was going to sell my spot also...that did not happen. You could do that though, depending on where you are in line.
No issue with Prius...LOYAL owners, just hoping the T3 lives up to the hype.and it should.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:08 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
I thought order of delivery for T3 was: 1. Prior Tesla owner 2. Store que 3. online que, non-tesla owner Shouldn't matter that much..I know 2017 was the date...could be 2018 though. JQ11: Definitely keep me up to date with Ludicrous...cannot just the $10k...YET!!!!! I just did the LTE update due to Slacker acting up. Jonesy: When I put my original $5k reserve down, really did it as a joke to my friend, thinking I was going to sell my spot also...that did not happen. You could do that though, depending on where you are in line. No issue with Prius...LOYAL owners, just hoping the T3 lives up to the hype.and it should.
Yea that's right - the stores opened before online so any Tesla owner that put down a deposit in a store during Day 1 is ahead of me. Will keep you posted on ludicrous but from what I've read those that did it thought it was worth it.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:09 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I have no idea how to decipher the number they gave me?????? And it seems that Tesla dont either
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Only Tesla charging station I've seen was down by the Sagamore Bridge. 8 charging spots.
Been there many times. Never seen any vehicles there.

Ever.

Guess they are only used in Summer by refugees from NYC.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:09 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have no idea how to decipher the number they gave me?????? And it seems that Tesla dont either
It's a random number no meaning - they used to actually issue sequence numbers but stopped that a year ago or so
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:26 AM
Tesla1Defender
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW

Jonesy: you are going to hear a lot of rumors about the number but my understanding, it is random..do not believe anything until YOU actually get contacted BY TESLA. Good luck and now the waiting and speculation begin.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I put down my deposit about mid way through the unveiling and was surprised to see shortly after that 115000 people had already done the same I have no expectations on a a quick delivery, and like Jones I figure worst case you sell it off at a profit. I think it's refundable anyway. But previous owners are first, then people who ordered in the store, and then they will initially only deliver models with all the options, so i think the position is very fluid. They are keeping pretty tight lipped on the details, which I assume is because they are not decided yet. But I am sure they will make a nice product.

I don't think most people use the superchargers for daily charging if they live in a single family home. It's for being able to take long trips, or occasional use where you might exceed your range. I challenge most people to do more than 200 miles in a day running about town though.

I hope they do something about the front though. The prototype front is fugly.

Did anyone who ordered online get more than a confirmation email? Mine took almost a day to come, and haven't heard of anything more.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Thought the same thing about the front end. Could always paint a grille on there.
Was contemplating putting a deposit on one as well. But I'm in the early stages of transferring.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
if you could take the drive train and battery pack and convert a defender... make some sort of portal like axles, you could get some serious flex and a very interesting rig.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:07 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I read Telsa will not allow you to sell your reservation. I also read the federal tax credit will probably be gone by the time the Model 3 delivers since they will probably have sold more than 200k cars by then. So buying a Model S or X right now is probably a better deal. I also don't care for how they made the trunk opening so small on the 3. About 5 years from now you can probably get one pretty cheap though. 500k cars a year will saturate the market.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes on both counts, but the price differential is significant, so can't say it's a better deal to spend a lot more to get the $7500 rebate. It's not like a S or X costs under $50k.

Regarding selling, it's not the reservation, but the car. There will always be someone out there impatient who will want to pay a premium to not wait in line. People did it with the S and I am sure with the X too.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yes on both counts, but the price differential is significant, so can't say it's a better deal to spend a lot more to get the $7500 rebate. It's not like a S or X costs under $50k. Regarding selling, it's not the reservation, but the car. There will always be someone out there impatient who will want to pay a premium to not wait in line. People did it with the S and I am sure with the X too.
The $7500 will likely start to phase out by Model 3 but doesn't mean it goes away - I don't have the details on hand but for the next X thousand cars it goes down to say $6k then eventually reaches 0. I'm not complaining but ironic that the mostly rich folks that bought a Roadster/S/X will get the full $7500 on the long awaited affordable car

The X quick flip window was pretty short vs the S but yea if you got an early 3 you can flip it for a small profit.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 06:54 PM
Tesla1Defender
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW

276,000 reservations!! damn.
cgalpin: I feel same way on SuperChargers. Theoretically, Tesla owners are NOT supposed to use SC (Superchargers) on daily basis and use for traveling. Some owners received letters of "reprimand" discussing this and should not be done.
Our original Tesla was to putt around town and was fine. Newer one is still for town but enjoyable to take the occasional road trip.
I have about 10 friends that only received confirmation emails so far, nothing else.
Good luck.
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:54 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Will probably put in a deposit since the office is moving to Rosslyn in 2 years. Need something so I can commute on 66 during Hov! Read an article I think on car and driver after the launch. The 3 is the make or break for Tesla it said.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:45 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i need help understand the time line please. i love the idea of a model 3 but......
if they can build 20,000 vehicles a year and they have 276,000 already "pre-sold" thats almost 14 years worth of builds.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting