Tesla sighting - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
JQ11's Avatar
JQ11
Status: Offline
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 377
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
So.. Just asking Why did you (anyone) buy a tesla? I mean cool looking car, but still limited and at 100k spec'd up for a mod s... Why? Curious...
It's stupid quick, mine's 0-60 in 2.9 sec, 0-30 in 1.0 sec which is more impressive and just brain scrambling. Wanted to be first to experience auto-pilot which is awesome. Cool features get pushed OTA like the summon feature where the car parks itself. Mainly that's is crazy quick and a different driving experience that I wanted to try out. Not a status symbol out here in the Wild West that's for sure.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #102  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Tesla1Defender
Status: Offline
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 108
Why did I buy a Tesla..well my 2nd? Wanted something different and I believe in the technology. My first Tesla was $75k and sold it for $60k... 2.5 yrs later (NOT bad on Depreciation) and have second one with all the bells/whistles (EXCEPT Ludicrous speed...JQ11 knows what I'm talking about). Nothing to do with status symbol, we live well within our means and I DO want an AMERICAN company to succeed. My Model S is a quality product, great service and just Frickin FUN to drive. If I want to hear an engine...have my D90 and another fossil fuel car. Many other reasons but in same sense why do I like Apple because I've experienced PC (windows based) for years and usually get about 3 yrs of service before replacing. Apple, I have Macs going on 9 years strong. It has been a great experience way back to when I put a deposit down in 2010 before I even saw one. I hope Tesla succeeds and maybe I will be an extremely small part in letting go of foreign dependence on oil (STILL KEEPING THE D90 though!). Before any bashing goes on, I am also a US Navy vet and if an American car company can succeed AND delivers a QUALITY product, I will back it. 0-60 in 2.9 with Insane mode in a $120k car!!!! Hmmmm....NOTHING else competes in that price range! I think Ludicrous mode is 2.6 seconds.

------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2016 06:25 PM ------

Oh, JQ11.... where are you in the que for your T3? You get a chance to read Elon Musk book? pretty damn impressive what he has done with Space X, Solar City and Tesla.
The D90 kept me from reserving the T3..but I'm happy with the decision.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:37 PM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Online
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1Defender View Post
I hope Tesla succeeds and maybe I will be an extremely small part in letting go of foreign dependence on oil (STILL KEEPING THE D90 though!)
I do too. Great looking vehicles and love the American aspect of it all! Any battery smell from them? Had a hybrid Tahoe that stunk like rubber from the second row seat battery bank.

The reliance on foreign oil issue isn't that real for me, or the U.S. for that matter. First rule of national security natural resource management: use everyone else's before your own to ensure that your weapons systems are the last ones with fuel! ;-)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #104  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:16 PM
JQ11's Avatar
JQ11
Status: Offline
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 377
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1Defender View Post
Why did I buy a Tesla..well my 2nd? Wanted something different and I believe in the technology. My first Tesla was $75k and sold it for $60k... 2.5 yrs later (NOT bad on Depreciation) and have second one with all the bells/whistles (EXCEPT Ludicrous speed...JQ11 knows what I'm talking about). Nothing to do with status symbol, we live well within our means and I DO want an AMERICAN company to succeed. My Model S is a quality product, great service and just Frickin FUN to drive. If I want to hear an engine...have my D90 and another fossil fuel car. Many other reasons but in same sense why do I like Apple because I've experienced PC (windows based) for years and usually get about 3 yrs of service before replacing. Apple, I have Macs going on 9 years strong. It has been a great experience way back to when I put a deposit down in 2010 before I even saw one. I hope Tesla succeeds and maybe I will be an extremely small part in letting go of foreign dependence on oil (STILL KEEPING THE D90 though!). Before any bashing goes on, I am also a US Navy vet and if an American car company can succeed AND delivers a QUALITY product, I will back it. 0-60 in 2.9 with Insane mode in a $120k car!!!! Hmmmm....NOTHING else competes in that price range! I think Ludicrous mode is 2.6 seconds. ------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2016 06:25 PM ------ Oh, JQ11.... where are you in the que for your T3? You get a chance to read Elon Musk book? pretty damn impressive what he has done with Space X, Solar City and Tesla. The D90 kept me from reserving the T3..but I'm happy with the decision.
Yea actually 2.9sec is with the $5k ludicrous upgrade - mine is scheduled for that upgrade in 3 weeks! Not sure where in the queue for the 3 - I reserved as soon as it opened online but any Tesla owner that reserved at a store earlier that day is ahead of me - nearest store is 4hrs from me so not worth that. Yea read that book too - good read. Good points too - people seems to forget this is an American car!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:20 PM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
Status: Online
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,447
Registry
I put down $1,000 at the store in Bethesda for the 3....figured I could actually make money when it comes out and sell my spot in line for double...if not, just get it. My hope is I can get the wife out of her Prius!
__________________
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Tesla1Defender
Status: Offline
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 108
I thought order of delivery for T3 was:
1. Prior Tesla owner
2. Store que
3. online que, non-tesla owner
Shouldn't matter that much..I know 2017 was the date...could be 2018 though.
JQ11: Definitely keep me up to date with Ludicrous...cannot just the $10k...YET!!!!! I just did the LTE update due to Slacker acting up.
Jonesy: When I put my original $5k reserve down, really did it as a joke to my friend, thinking I was going to sell my spot also...that did not happen. You could do that though, depending on where you are in line.
No issue with Prius...LOYAL owners, just hoping the T3 lives up to the hype.and it should.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:08 PM
JQ11's Avatar
JQ11
Status: Offline
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 377
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1Defender View Post
I thought order of delivery for T3 was: 1. Prior Tesla owner 2. Store que 3. online que, non-tesla owner Shouldn't matter that much..I know 2017 was the date...could be 2018 though. JQ11: Definitely keep me up to date with Ludicrous...cannot just the $10k...YET!!!!! I just did the LTE update due to Slacker acting up. Jonesy: When I put my original $5k reserve down, really did it as a joke to my friend, thinking I was going to sell my spot also...that did not happen. You could do that though, depending on where you are in line. No issue with Prius...LOYAL owners, just hoping the T3 lives up to the hype.and it should.
Yea that's right - the stores opened before online so any Tesla owner that put down a deposit in a store during Day 1 is ahead of me. Will keep you posted on ludicrous but from what I've read those that did it thought it was worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:09 PM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
Status: Online
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,447
Registry
I have no idea how to decipher the number they gave me?????? And it seems that Tesla dont either
__________________
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:23 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Online
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,781
Only Tesla charging station I've seen was down by the Sagamore Bridge. 8 charging spots.
Been there many times. Never seen any vehicles there.

Ever.

Guess they are only used in Summer by refugees from NYC.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:09 PM
JQ11's Avatar
JQ11
Status: Offline
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 377
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have no idea how to decipher the number they gave me?????? And it seems that Tesla dont either
It's a random number no meaning - they used to actually issue sequence numbers but stopped that a year ago or so
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:26 AM
Tesla1Defender
Status: Offline
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 108
Jonesy: you are going to hear a lot of rumors about the number but my understanding, it is random..do not believe anything until YOU actually get contacted BY TESLA. Good luck and now the waiting and speculation begin.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:40 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
I put down my deposit about mid way through the unveiling and was surprised to see shortly after that 115000 people had already done the same I have no expectations on a a quick delivery, and like Jones I figure worst case you sell it off at a profit. I think it's refundable anyway. But previous owners are first, then people who ordered in the store, and then they will initially only deliver models with all the options, so i think the position is very fluid. They are keeping pretty tight lipped on the details, which I assume is because they are not decided yet. But I am sure they will make a nice product.

I don't think most people use the superchargers for daily charging if they live in a single family home. It's for being able to take long trips, or occasional use where you might exceed your range. I challenge most people to do more than 200 miles in a day running about town though.

I hope they do something about the front though. The prototype front is fugly.

Did anyone who ordered online get more than a confirmation email? Mine took almost a day to come, and haven't heard of anything more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
LuisC's Avatar
LuisC
Status: Offline
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,Texas USA
Posts: 1,900
Registry
Thought the same thing about the front end. Could always paint a grille on there.
Was contemplating putting a deposit on one as well. But I'm in the early stages of transferring.
__________________
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Elbee's Avatar
Elbee
Status: Offline
Lance
1989 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CVille, VA soon Seattle, WA
Posts: 393
Registry
if you could take the drive train and battery pack and convert a defender... make some sort of portal like axles, you could get some serious flex and a very interesting rig.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:07 PM
Chip's Avatar
Chip
Status: Offline
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,497
I read Telsa will not allow you to sell your reservation. I also read the federal tax credit will probably be gone by the time the Model 3 delivers since they will probably have sold more than 200k cars by then. So buying a Model S or X right now is probably a better deal. I also don't care for how they made the trunk opening so small on the 3. About 5 years from now you can probably get one pretty cheap though. 500k cars a year will saturate the market.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:15 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Yes on both counts, but the price differential is significant, so can't say it's a better deal to spend a lot more to get the $7500 rebate. It's not like a S or X costs under $50k.

Regarding selling, it's not the reservation, but the car. There will always be someone out there impatient who will want to pay a premium to not wait in line. People did it with the S and I am sure with the X too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM
JQ11's Avatar
JQ11
Status: Offline
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 377
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yes on both counts, but the price differential is significant, so can't say it's a better deal to spend a lot more to get the $7500 rebate. It's not like a S or X costs under $50k. Regarding selling, it's not the reservation, but the car. There will always be someone out there impatient who will want to pay a premium to not wait in line. People did it with the S and I am sure with the X too.
The $7500 will likely start to phase out by Model 3 but doesn't mean it goes away - I don't have the details on hand but for the next X thousand cars it goes down to say $6k then eventually reaches 0. I'm not complaining but ironic that the mostly rich folks that bought a Roadster/S/X will get the full $7500 on the long awaited affordable car

The X quick flip window was pretty short vs the S but yea if you got an early 3 you can flip it for a small profit.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 06:54 PM
Tesla1Defender
Status: Offline
Chris
97 D90 NAS SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 108
276,000 reservations!! damn.
cgalpin: I feel same way on SuperChargers. Theoretically, Tesla owners are NOT supposed to use SC (Superchargers) on daily basis and use for traveling. Some owners received letters of "reprimand" discussing this and should not be done.
Our original Tesla was to putt around town and was fine. Newer one is still for town but enjoyable to take the occasional road trip.
I have about 10 friends that only received confirmation emails so far, nothing else.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:54 PM
flippedrover's Avatar
flippedrover
Status: Offline
Tyler
'94 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ashburn,va
Posts: 3,125
Will probably put in a deposit since the office is moving to Rosslyn in 2 years. Need something so I can commute on 66 during Hov! Read an article I think on car and driver after the launch. The 3 is the make or break for Tesla it said.
__________________
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:45 PM
d90boy's Avatar
d90boy
Status: Offline
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,228
Registry
i need help understand the time line please. i love the idea of a model 3 but......
if they can build 20,000 vehicles a year and they have 276,000 already "pre-sold" thats almost 14 years worth of builds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confusing 110 Sighting gtg067i Misc. Chit-Chat 10 July 15th, 2005 04:44 PM
SIGHTING: Blue D-90 and white disco (SLC) cbass Misc. Chit-Chat 0 July 2nd, 2005 10:29 PM
Thous Oaks CA sighting 6/11/05 paulb Misc. Chit-Chat 2 June 29th, 2005 02:34 PM
D90 SW Sighting in Hackensack, NJ Glenn_Guinto Misc. Chit-Chat 6 June 16th, 2005 03:58 PM
sighting, white d110 in milwaukee?? steved90 Misc. Chit-Chat 5 May 24th, 2005 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Copyright