Tesla sighting - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Guys, guys....I can't qoute everybody here!!!But think about what you guys are saying here for a second!
Somebody said you won't see a charging station at Gas station, but you will at a Mall.....WWWHHHAAATTT! Have you looked at Mall's parking lot on a weekend and the amount of cars parked in it?? Who's going to pay for that infrastructure and liabilty's!
Not to mention the aging infrastructure on our current grid now....look at the amount of vehicles in our country and imagine they were all electric!
Our economy would crash while everybody sat around waiting for all these vehicles to be charged....in the dark no less while all the chargers drain the current grid!

Novelty.... yes! Mainstream....never!

Oh....and who ever said that the GM is ramping up production on the Volt, have better check their source!
The lot at the production plant is full of them and they are not being delivered to the dealers....because nobody's taking delivery of them!
I've seen 1 so far and I travel the roads everyday.....it was introduced how many years ago???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthng View Post
Guys, guys....I can't qoute everybody here!!!But think about what you guys are saying here for a second!
Somebody said you won't see a charging station at Gas station, but you will at a Mall.....WWWHHHAAATTT! Have you looked at Mall's parking lot on a weekend and the amount of cars parked in it?? Who's going to pay for that infrastructure and liabilty's!

It's not that they won't be at gas stations. It's that the majority of the time ev owners will be charging up elsewhere

And the businesses will gladly invest in the chargers if it keeps people shopping for double the average time.....as case studies with target stores have shown.....in fact, they will even give the electricity away for free!
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
LagunaDallasD90
Brady
1994 D90

Quote:
Novelty.... yes! Mainstream....never!
If the Tesla Model S is a novelty, then the D90 is the king of novelties. I guess that makes me a novelty collector, and gladly so.
1994 D90 - #1689, 26K Original Miles
A Few Prissy Range Rovers (All Sold)
2009 Mercedes SL63 AMG
2013 Tesla Model S P85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
It's not that they won't be at gas stations. It's that the majority of the time ev owners will be charging up elsewhere

And the businesses will gladly invest in the chargers if it keeps people shopping for double the average time.....as case studies with target stores have shown.....in fact, they will even give the electricity away for free!
My point is not the malls or stores benifiting of this, (free electrcity...comon???) its the emphasis on the amount of vehicles on our roads today.....its just to much!
This country has a shit load of natural gas....its cheap if we (and the oil companies) let it be!
Its clean burning...zero emissions! Car companies could already incorporate the system into new cars and cheaper to make than a Hybrid!

I don't understand the fascination with batterys.....for as long as I could remember, batteries are the most annoying thing in life to me....to replace, to charge, to DISGARD properly!!

------ Follow up post added March 14th, 2013 10:02 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaDallasD90 View Post
If the Tesla Model S is a novelty, then the D90 is the king of novelties. I guess that makes me a novelty collector, and gladly so.
Absolutely.......that's my point, the electric car will have some applications just like the D-90....although everybody else in the world gets to enjoy more applications of the Defenders than we do, but thats another sad story!

I'm out there on the road everday....trust me it will never be mainstream!!
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:41 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
I don't understand the fascination with batterys.....for as long as I could remember, batteries are the most annoying thing in life to me....to replace, to charge, to DISGARD properly!!
As an engineer, I consider the use of a battery to be optional in an electric car. If there was a direct fuel cell capable of turning ethanol, methanol, gasoline or diesel directly into electricity, then I would consider a vehicle using that fuel cell to be "electric" as well. Natural gas turbines are also extremely efficient - maybe we can fit one in a car.

I personally feel the way energy is stored/generated is still not well developed by humans. With respect to fossil fuels, we burn it and extract part of the energy from it as motion, losing 60-90% of it in the process (regardless of the theoretical thermal efficiency). I definitely agree that batteries today are still quite primitive.
Old March 15th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I definitely agree that batteries today are still quite primitive.
A breakthrough in energy storage will happen at some point. I think the people looking into solid-state supercapacitors are on the right path. Basically a system that allows for charging at the same speed as a gas fill up, is reusable millions of times and is compact and light will be a game changer (not just in auto but all kinds of applications). Then we just need to learn to tap the heat of the earth's core for unlimited green energy.
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
No Luis is right - it's just a fad...like the internet.
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The future is all about batteries. What do you think is in all your mobile devices? Here's a picture from St Peters square. 8 years apart. We tend to forget how drastically technology advances in a short period of time. Moore's law.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3622982158.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	820.1 KB
ID:	68167  
Old April 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Just parked next to a Tesla at the Princeton LAX game. I don't think he was too happy that my son lost his ball underneath but there are lacrosse balls and sticks all over the place and its a dusty messy field for parking. Cool looking car but not really something I would buy. Wouldn't mind taking it out for a spin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1188509533.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	69716  
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:39 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Just saw another one go by me up in Danbury, Ct today......I messed with him and blew my horn to get his attention, then I dangled my phone charger to bust his chops!

But you know.....every damn Car company are copy cats with the designs, because the more you see these cars and many like it, the more they all look alike!
They busted Chris Bangle's design on that 7-series BMW when it came out with that hump back trunk to the point the guy had to resign....and now everybody and there mother is doing it!

I think that's why I am just into classic cars....it basically is the future and we all be driving the same stupid looking car!
Old April 27th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Just saw a truck with four of them heading south to 95.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2709661961.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	70880  
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Tesla, 2012 – Model S by smenzel, on Flickr

Spotted at Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue, WA.
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:19 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
More good news for Telsta:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...n=awdailydrive

As if Tesla needed any more good news this month, first-quarter sales are in and the electric Model S outsold the Mercedes S-class, Audi A8 and BMW 7-series, according to “CNN Money.” In the first three months of 2013, Tesla sold 4,750 sedans while Mercedes sold 3,077 of the S-class, BMW sold 2,338 of the 7-series and Audi sent 1,462 A8s out of the dealership.
The Model S does have its sticker price going for it. The base model can be had for $69,900 -- possibly less with tax incentives -- while the cheapest S-class goes for $93,255, the 7-series for $74,525 and the A8 for $73,095.
Last week, Tesla announced a quarterly profit that exceeded expectations, and on Thursday a “Consumer Reports” story came out giving the sedan 99 out of a possible 100 points in a review.
But, this year hasn't all been roses for Musk and his venture. The New York Times review of the car left the reporter stranded, which led to a small feud on Twitter and in the newspaper. And Autoweek's own Model S left editor Rory Carroll stuck in his driveway for two days.
The real bright spot in the past six months for Tesla, at least in an enthusiast's eyes, was when the Model S beat a BMW M5 in a drag race, which we have provided video proof of here.
http://youtu.be/vvHTN0Yi1t4
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
They have another hurdle - dealers trying to stop them selling direct. Hopefully they will prevail.
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:58 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Their stock is the better ride. ~ 100% over the last 2 months.
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:40 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
As if Tesla needed any more good news this month, first-quarter sales are in and the electric Model S outsold the Mercedes S-class, Audi A8 and BMW 7-series, according to “CNN Money.” In the first three months of 2013, Tesla sold 4,750 sedans while Mercedes sold 3,077 of the S-class, BMW sold 2,338 of the 7-series and Audi sent 1,462 A8s out of the dealership.
Those numbers might be a bit misleading. I think the entire first quarter sales were pre-order Model S deliveries.

Quote:
The Model S does have its sticker price going for it. The base model can be had for $69,900 -- possibly less with tax incentives -- while the cheapest S-class goes for $93,255, the 7-series for $74,525 and the A8 for $73,095.
True. The base price for the lowest model might start at ~$70k but that's the lowest range vehicle. Realistically, most people would want the $80k or $90k versions (which is still less than the cheapest S-class).
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Their stock is the better ride. ~ 100% over the last 2 months.
Short squeeze. Take a guess how this will end...
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:48 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post

Short squeeze. Take a guess how this will end...
Chased it with a % limit stop loss. Agree, too expensive right now. But then at 15,250, so is the entire market.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Musk is a great showman. Once the bears have bitten off all they can chew of Apple, Tesla will be desert.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:19 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Musk is a great showman. Once the bears have bitten off all they can chew of Apple, Tesla will be desert.
Dessert is served: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...vertible-notes

Dilutive. Ponzi. Keep tight sell stops, gents...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting