Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 28th, 2016, 01:29 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Tent Trailer power ideas

In keeping with our 80's and brown theme I have a 1985 Rockwood tent trailer for our summer trip.

Most of our camping will have hook ups or we can be a night or two without. There are a few stretches where we need battery power for a few days- charge electronics and medical devices.

I am trying to decide if I should add a battery and a solar panel to the trailer or if I should do a dual battery with an inverter in the 110. My thought with the inverter is that it would allow charging of devices on the road from the back seat and when we are camping I can plug the trailer shore power into it. The camper is going to be some LED lights and power outlets for a few hours in the evening. Very simple set up.

Thoughts on either approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2016, 01:33 PM
LRDMOD
Kelsey
87 Defender 90 Ex-Mod

If its cloudy you wont be able to charge, is it possible to have both?
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:38 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I was thinking the solar to top off the aux battery on the trailer. From what I've read I should be able to get 3-5 days of power out of a battery. I'm leaning toward the dual battery/inverter set up with the truck since I am probably not going to keep the trailer for too many seasons. I just don't know if having the trailer plugged into the inverter is a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Not sure what kind of trailer and wiring harness you have, but have you thought of a battery on the trailer, charged by the vehicle through the trailer harness. The 7 pin trailer harnesses are set up for that.
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Another reason for having the battery on the trailer is you will be able to use the truck while someone or some thing (cooler) uses the power in the trailer back at camp. Recharge the trailer battery by a connection to the truck while towing, shore power, small generator, or solar. Use 12v LED bulbs, cooler, etc. in the trailer with an rv power converter/charger to provide 110 and 12v when plugged in to shore power. Small power converters are not expensive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat