Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5
TDI/TD5 question

I am considering a D110 and have some engine questions I'M sure you guys will know. First off I am looking at a early 2000-2003 truck ( not an NAS) and I have noticed that some have TDI's and some TD5. I am told that the TDI is easier to work on (less electronic's) and that the TD5 could give you a problem at a river crossing due to more electronics. I can't imagine that Rover would build a newer engine that would give such a problem. I don't have any experince with the TD engines, only the gas NAS ones. Could someone shed some light on the differences in the two. (I am also aware of the 200TDI and the 300TDI from reading this board and I assume that in the 2000 and newer ones that it would be the 300). Which one would you guys prefer? Thanks for your opinions.

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
The TD5 is a common rail engine, so the fuel pressures can be as high as 25000 psi, so there is like 3 fuel pumps, and a fuel cooler, and other complex stuff. I think the main issue with them in the states is not reliability, but the complete lack of the service/test book unless you order your own from the UK. So you won't be able to read your codes or do other diagnostics. I'm not sure how others have cracked the nut, but I've never been able to bring myself to consider a TD5 because I wouldn't have any idea what to do with it if something went wrong.

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Mark M
I would recommend doing a Google search on TD5 to get a bit more insight yourself. The UK and more so Aussie forums have a wealth of information. Not many posters on this board with TD5s (a handful).

For my truck I have a Nanocom which has done everything I need it to do. (so far) It costs about $300 and can read and reset codes, serve as an instrumentation set, plus interface with their software pack using a Window XP laptop. It's very capable and believe it can do just about everything, but I haven't done the gap analysis compared to a Testbook.

In my case, I'm fortunate as Keith lives just north of me. In addition to his knowledge and experience with this engine, he has the Nanocom and Testbook.

I've only had my truck a couple months, but so far I've had no issues with it and the engine. My impression is it's no more complex than my NAS truck. You get the ECU wet on either, you are not going anywhere. They both have their achilles heels. Park position sensor on NAS or crank position sensor on TD5 goes out you have your problems. For both trucks, I try to carry along those critical replacement parts.

HTH. Mark
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
^^^ what he said.

The Td5 is no more complex than a 3.9 EFI V8. yes, there is an ECU (it sits under the RH seat along with a fuse box), they can be made watertight (using an IP65 box and lots of sealant) or just get an ECU extension loom, plug it in and stuff the brains up in the roof or at least bulkhead height)

but just "average" river crossings, hood deep where you get a few inches of water in the footwell and a nice bow wave, are no problems at all, no worse than any other diesel engine (i know, i've done them in mine!)

The 300Tdi is a good engine, don't get me wrong (i've had 3 of them) and now on my 2nd Td5, but they're night & day in comparison.

weak point of the Tdi is the cam belt and overheating issues (although carry a spare cambelt, 8 push rods and maybe a couple of rockers,one hours work your back on the road again)

weak point of the Td5.. early ones (up to about 2000) had a weak cylinder head and could cause fuel to leak into the oil sump. later heads were redesigned with only one fuel drilling.

the in-tank fuel pump can die too, but dropping the tank (or even cutting a flap in the rear load bed floor) to facilitate a quick change is no hassle (i've got the dimensions here of where to cut if you need them)

The Td5 has lots of sensors, yes, but only the crank position sensor (screwed onto the bellhousing) can cause engine STOP, the rest of them will just revert the ECU to a factory mid way setting, so no hassle.
the sensor is about 30,no big deal.

The nanocom is an excellent piece of kit. you can do all the settings that the dealership can, and more, like uploading different fuel maps (if you have them) for more power etc. you can set the alarm states, or disable the alarm etc. you WILL need the nanocom if you change an injector, as they have individual codes on them (the engine WILL run with the wrong codes in, just not as well as it could, so worst case you can get yerself home)

Td5 is highly tunable... mine is currently 170bhp, Ian @ IRB developments has managed so far to get 208bhp with a VNT turbo from a Td5 and still keep within UK emmision rules, pretty impressive.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:06 PM
130 Project

What is the best place to get a Nanocom?
I have a 2000 Td5 engine on my 110.
Anything I should about the weak cylinder head?

Old April 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Devon 4x4

4x4 Mailorder UK

or sometimes on eblag.

most of the (above) suppliers and those in the various comics seems to be roughly the same price.

And nanocom's main site, not sure of you can buy direct from them in Italy

Not much you can do about the cylinder head. I don't know if they're interchangeable with the later type, but not all cause problems, so don't panic; my old Td5 (my parents now have), is a 2000 with 144,000 miles on, and has been faultless... the same can't be said about the rest of the vehicle!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

td5, tdi