Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Tdi swap hidden costs

I am wondering what other parts I should change out in order to accommodate the extra power that the 200 or 300 would offer in my '83.
I'm guessing half shafts, axles, possibly diffs...

The 200 would go right in the same slot but my early LT77 might not be happy with that. The 300 would need new motor mounts and tranny.

I'm just wondering if I do this what the big picture looks like. I am leaning towards a 300 after hearing that it is a bit easier to work on and that parts are a bit more readily available. I'm tired of having to go across the pond for parts that my 2.25 requires and I'm tired of going 35 up mild grades! I've been passed by a VW bus and semis...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2011, 11:23 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Is this one of those things where if you have to ask you can't afford it? Ha ha. I'll do the math, just looking for ideas on what other parts I might need to swap as well.

Probably gauges such as tach and EGT would need to be added.
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

You don't need axles, diffs or any of that. All the ROW 200s and 300s ran the same stuff we have here. And really the HP and torque figures are less than the V8. They just hit at lower RPMs. It's not like throwing a 7.3l International diesel in your truck.

I am doing the same. I bought an engine in the UK for $600 and thats about all I need right now. I need a new bellhousing and input shaft to my transmission and a crossmember which I will get form ECR. If you are mechanically incline you could do it for 2-3k easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:05 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The 200TDI Defender is the easiest swap. It is a straight bolt in as is was designed as a factory retrofit. Other option require some customization, but can be cheaper to source.

Parts are easy to get for either engine.

You do have to be careful with the early LT77 as they had weak layshaft bearings. Check the serial number for the letter at the end, That will tell us if it is good or bad.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

I just swapped my 2.25 gas for a 200tdi. I went with the 200 as I had a recon LT77. You will need a new exhaust system. The benchmark for a complete 200tdi with everything including radiator, intercooler and the frame, engine cowl, exhaust manifold, air filter and expansion tank is 1000 UKP a Disco is around half that but more fiddly. You will need a fuel filter. The later radiator brackets bolt from the front and do not need modification. Redardless of what anyone tells you put a new timing belt in and check for oil leaks on the tensioner pulley peg. Maybe change the water pump while you have the front off the motor. Parts are not hard to come by, Turners hate 200tdi engines and paint a very bleak picture regarding parts. As mentioned it bolts right in, budget for a new clutch and heavy duty clutch mechanism. My 110 runs great with the 200tdi. I am looking for another in the UK right now
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I bought a Defender with an older E suffix LT77 & 300 Tdi. The PO also converted the transfer case to the 1.2 ratio. Other than the leaks, the LT77 hasn't failed after 52,000 miles with the 300 Tdi and an unknown number of miles before that.

Note that if you go with the 300 Tdi + 2.5 NA flywheel housing + LT77, you won't be able to easily set the timing properly on the 300 Tdi. The hole in the flywheel cover doesn't line up with the flywheel, preventing use of the timing tool.

You may also want to invest in some insulating mats. The PO did a decent job on mine. I removed the mats once for maintenance, and it makes a world of difference - that diesel is loud.
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:53 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
About 20k miles on a 200 tdi conversion by Richard at Glencoyne. http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/tdiguide.htm No problems on the LT77 on my 1984. Don't drive like a munson and you won't have any problems.

The real hidden cost is the additional sound proofing you will want.

You little rebel, I like you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tdi