Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 22nd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
See quote from earlier in the thread. As I understand it from this and from the Facebook page timber trail copied Morgan Hill's design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAB View Post
Yeah I got in contact with Morgan Hill Via facebook, and one is on the way from Sweden. It should be here any day. He originally developed them and said he sold a pin to a guy with a CNC workshop and that it was a big mistake. I think you should support the person who developed the pin and I will pass this thread on to him and hopefully he can work out a possible group price. Once i receive my pin I will write a post with actual data so people can make some decisions. NO I am NOT going to put my 90 on a dyno but i have an egt gauge and boost gauge hold out for a little bit and lets try to do Morgan a solid Brandon

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2014, 09:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are also a lot of people complaining about poor quality with the timber trail ones.

Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
khalidkassim
Khalid Kassim
1985/Defender

Honestly I could care less who copies what as long as I get more power from my 300 TDI but if its a matter of quality I'd think twice.

Are the Morgan Hill pins available or are they also out of stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
well Morgan emailed me - his are no longer available, as he has known quality issues with the steel...and has emailed everyone who bought them. He is currently thinking through what to do.

TimberTrail is the only one that has them - for $80 I bought one, and will report changes.

The other one - as noted above is out of stock until 2015
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
well Morgan emailed me - his are no longer available, as he has known quality issues with the steel...and has emailed everyone who bought them. He is currently thinking through what to do.
Really? There is no mention of any problems on FB where they are sold. The latest talk is that he is getting Fourby in the UK to start fabricating and selling them for him.

http://fourby.co.uk/

Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:41 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yeah, I bought the timber trail one a while ago but it hasn't gotten here yet, I don't drive the camel much any more but this will be a good excuse to I guess...
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:50 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
I just brought one from Timber 4x4 and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'll let you guys know if there's a difference in my 200tdi.
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:34 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
My boost arrived over the weekend. I'm planning on installing it sometime next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1839515741.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	512.6 KB
ID:	111985  
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:05 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

GRP My Landy vs Morgan Hill fuel pins.

GRP My Landy - $76 shipped
Morgan Hill - $68 shipped

GRP My Landy didn't fit in my IP. It has a 11.98mm diameter while the Morgan Hill pin has a 11.77mm diameter.

Morgan Hill's pin slope seems to not be as long as the GRP one which in turn gives it a slightly steeper climb. But this can be adjusted on how far your stop screw is screwed down.

Morgan's took no time to get here while the GRP unit took longer and some hassle with ebay. Now I need to send it back and there is no guarantee he will give me my money back because he wants to test it against some others from the batch to make sure it fits. All I know is it didn't fit mine and no way in hell I was about to push it in to fit.

When I fit the Morgan Hill pin I will measure the diameter to see if there is a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel-pins.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	112908  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Just for the sake of honesty, I beat Brandon in a street race for pink slips tonight. He has one of the boost pins installed, mine is stock.

I now own his d90 as well
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:09 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Just for the sake of honesty, I beat Brandon in a street race for pink slips tonight. He has one of the boost pins installed, mine is stock.

I now own his d90 as well
But we all know Brandon drive's Miss Daisy around.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Any feedback on this from anyone? On the Timber Trail one. Mine arrived int eh USA somewhere - and was returned to sender - he just sent an email and it is coming back across the pond now.

Question for anyone who has installed it...

Did you mess with the star wheel and fuel screw at all? In their video they turn he wheel back 4 clicks twice. Is this a requirement - or did you just fit it and head off?
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:51 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Any feedback on this from anyone? On the Timber Trail one. Mine arrived int eh USA somewhere - and was returned to sender - he just sent an email and it is coming back across the pond now. Question for anyone who has installed it... Did you mess with the star wheel and fuel screw at all? In their video they turn he wheel back 4 clicks twice. Is this a requirement - or did you just fit it and head off?
I brought but didn't install it yet. I'm getting some gearbox work done first. There's a big difference between the 200tdi and the 2.5td. So much more hp.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:31 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Brandon and I installed his pin on my truck while his engine is down, it's a blast. Power is crazy(in Tdi terms). Probably unsafe, but awesome.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:41 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Brandon and I installed his pin on my truck while his engine is down, it's a blast. Power is crazy(in Tdi terms). Probably unsafe, but awesome.
What's the smoke situation?
What's the EGT situation?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:54 PM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

i quote zach "MORE SMOKE"

No egt fitted.

I can say Zach's 300 seemed to not have been played with and dropping the morgan hill boost pin greatly improved the drive-ability and i would say it had the perfect amount of smoke and power without touching anything. But it is like an addiction and you want to make more and more power out of the 4 pot lump. Soon you will be buying uprated inter-coolers and VGT turbos

Had it in my truck but my motor was blowing up for the second time. egts when first fitted in the 200tdi 90 where at 950-1000F under load pushing 12psi of boost up a hill in 5th. There are many variables that play a role in your egt reading.
Fuel setting (Boost pin or stock pin angle, Smoke screw at back of pump, idle screw on top of the pump cover, star wheel which creates resistance for the pin, turbo output, charge temp and intercooler set up, exhaust set up, truck load and setup) to name a few.

My 200 ran at its highest stock at 800f
Boost pin ran 950-1000f (stock inter-cooler recently flushed, and stock old 200 exhaust)
they say 1250 is max threshold of the "safe zone"

NO SMOKE NO POKE.... TOO MUCH SMOKE=BYE BYE TDI
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Generally I'm in the "if it aint broke, dont fix it camp", however this fueling pin has been of interest. BUT in reading many forum posts, there is little info on longevity, and some mention of failures due to wear and corrosion. Worysome given the perfect operating environments of an 1P whicj many of us have been running for going on 20 years.
When reverse engineering a component, surely the first consideration must be determination of the material grade, heat or surface treatment, Brinnell or Rockwell hardness? As this product is fairly new (and hence not much life history) unless I was satisfied that it equaled or exceeded the OEM component it would be just something else for me to worry about.
Eric.
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
OK so i installed it my truck...WOW!!! Crazy how well it performs now.

My test run (NOVA guys know it - rte 7 over Blue Ridge to Winchester) was up a steep long hill climb that usually (last week) I went down to chugging up it in 4th/3rd at 45mph. Same thing with Boost pin.....60mph in 5th! My EGT's did get up to 1250, and they have never been that high, so I am sure this is a bi-product.

I was blown away - my top end performance is significantly better - with Boost/Turbo lag gone - and now extremely responsive. Lower end is also quick, I can pull away from a stop a lot quicker.

One side note, the nylon spacer was not in my pump, which lends me to believe a PO did turn up the star wheel at some point in time - so I left it where it was. No significant black smoke until I lean into the skinny pedal...then a good deal of Prius/Jeep repellant propels itself out the exhaust...but really only when I lean in, or am going uphill with the pedal mashed.

All in all....highly recommended. WINNER!

BTW - I do have AlliSport larger intercooler as well.
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Did you use the morgan hill or the timber?
Old April 24th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Timber - unfortunately when I contacted Morgan Hill he was having issues with his steel supplier and he never emailed me back that he fixed the issue. He may have by now??? I bought it back in December

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
boost, tdi