TD5 trucks to the USA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Trek Jon
Jon Baker

Talking TD5 trucks to the USA

Admin Note: This thread was copied from the classified section as the thread started to take a topic direction change that may prove interesting. If you have interest in the actual listing, please inquire in Jons original listing for this truck in the Classifieds.

Thanks,

CVC

------------------------------------------------

Original 2003 Trek Competion Discovery TD5 Auto, LHD.

Warn Winch, Safari Snorkel, A-Bar, Steering Guard, Roof Rack with boards, Working Lights F/R, 5 Seat, Full Cream Leather, SatNav/CD, ABS/ACE/ETC, Cruse Control, Eberspacher Pre-heater, Reversing Sensors, Air Con, Seat Covers, Allisport Intercooler, Tow Bar, Nearly new BF Goodrich AT

Buy Price 19,000 ovno ($34,500usd)

For more pictures Email:jon.baker@fsmail.net

Tel:+44 1278 663542

New Job Forces Reluctant Sale.
Happy to Export at buyers cost to any country.

Ebay Posting with pictures at:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-LAND-ROVE...QQcmdZViewItem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Trek Jon
Jon Baker

Smile Views Pls

I know this is supposed to be a reply! But to reply to my self is a funny concept. What I was wondering was could any US readers pls tell me If they think this Disco might be interesting for a US Land Rover Fan being that it is a Diesel.

This is a great car which is Original as it left the land rover factory to take part in the 2003 TReK competition, but being LHD it is not taken in the UK as a good buy, but for the US it should be interesting.

Any views would be welcome, Thanks

Jon
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I'm sure there is interest in it here. But Being a 2003 and a Diesel its too hard to import.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Trek Jon
Jon Baker

Tyler,

Thanks for the info, I understood that Defenders where near impossible to import but I thought that there would not be such issues with Disco's.

Jon
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

No problem.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:16 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'd love to have one (gonna diesel swap the D as soon as I can pay for it), just can't afford it.
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:07 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Actually this one may be easier. There is a clause in the regulations that state you can import a car of the same year it was offered here in the US, in this case, the 2003 D2 since offered here, this TReK truck could fall into that catagory.. but thats about all i can remember off the top of my head. I think this is how Gabor at Skytop may have gotten his '93 Camel Trophy 110 in here in tact. So if someone is interested, it might be worth it to look into it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:06 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Here is some more information about which trucks can be imported: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG081905.html
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Here is some more information about which trucks can be imported: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG081905.html
I've looked at that list in the past but this entry is new.

Quote:
Land Rover Defender 90 (manufactured before 9/1/1997) VIN "SALDV224*VA" or "SALDV324*VA" 1997
The way I read it is if you can find a D-90 that has a VIN in that range it's eligible to be imported. Hmmm, now how many vehicles could be in that range?
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thats brand new this month... I should say released this month. If you look at the approval date, it goes back over a year. Thats the way I read it as well. On the master spread sheet they indicate how many vehicle qualify under the guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

So....... who can service a td5?
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:31 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

All the dealerships test books are already set to work on the 300tdi and TD5's. Its just a matter of any of them will/know how to work on them.

Follow-up Post:

Man.. I just realized this is in poor Jons classified thread. Sorry Jon, didnt mean to hijack your sale thread. I will make a copy of this to MISC so we can continue the talk in there.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:25 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
All the dealerships test books are already set to work on the 300tdi and TD5's. Its just a matter of any of them will/know how to work on them.

Follow-up Post:

Man.. I just realized this is in poor Jons classified thread. Sorry Jon, didnt mean to hijack your sale thread. I will make a copy of this to MISC so we can continue the talk in there.
Chris, how do they hook their testbooks up to a 300tdi?

Sorry, just poking you with a stick. I might call up the CT dealerships and ask them if they can get me a set of glow plugs for my td5 Disco just for kicks...
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

admin note to self... ban dave

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:13 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
Chris, how do they hook their testbooks up to a 300tdi?
By hooking it up to the diagnostic socket on EGR emissions controlled 300Tdi's. They have a computer and everything, but not many people going to the trouble of converting want to buy expensive extra parts that complicate the engine and make it perform worse.

The NHTSA site deals with importing the vehicle, not the vehicle's engine - so thats only have the battle. Fortunately, the EPA lets you import something as long as it passes the appropriarte emissions testing, as opposed to telling you what engines are or are not eligible. Unfortunately, those tests are comprehensive, cost 4-5k, and the standards arent published (anywhere I can find them).

I bet LR already has the Td5 type-approved so it could do testing and stuff in the states. Someone digging far enough could probably come up with a Compliance Number - making the import process much easier.

So that leaves this being a 10-15k "simple process" for a prospective purchaser. As much as I'd love a Td5 orange Disco, I'll have to leave this find to someone else.
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:42 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

fyi... all items need to be converted to DOT spec. glass, signals, head lights, seat belts, the list goes on and on...$$$$$

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
td5