Taylor Congleton? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:35 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Taylor Congleton?

I have NEVER heard of Taylor Congleton of Congleton Services/Racing in Vermont till a couple of days ago.

WARNING TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SELLING TRUCK: COCK BLOCKING DOESN"T COME CLOSE TO WHAT THIS GUY JUST DID THIS MORNING.

Let me give you the whole sad tale and you can judge for yourself.

I am a big lurker here on D-Source principally because I work in the Middle East running around helping clarify a confusing world of bad people who need to be eliminated. Sometimes I write books or pontificate on TV other times I am in the field. I just returned back to the USA from 7 years overseas last year and brought over three of Defender 110s. This last two weeks I put the rarest of them, one with around 6000 km original on Ebay.

Doug Crowther imported it in 2014 as my POV and its been here using it as a part time runner. It was in good condition, brought to USA shape by Patrick O'Reilly at Gas Menagerie in Troy NY. Its been registered, inspected and insured. The only thing wrong was I couldn't drive it much because I was tooling around bopping back overseas.

For the last two years this truck had a website (www.quickwit.com) that showed well over 50 photos of every day of this vehicles life since the day we brought it at a foreign government auction in 2012. It explained everything that had ever been done to it and what remained.

I listed my truck on Ebay. Someone, who had researched the truck, saw the 51 high res photos on the website but asked no questions made an offer that was 10% below what I was selling it for but I accepted it. The new buyer called me while I was in Egypt last week and we spoke for an hour. He had been looking for a Defender CSW for a couple of years and liked mine ... he asked me if I could recommend a company nearby to do an interior restoration. The truck is for his house in Nantucket, of course. I said try ECR but also mentioned another company in Vermont that imports that I didn't know was not into restorations. He called them and that company recommended to the buyer to use Taylor as he had worked for Rovers North and would be GLAD to come pick it up and drop off the check. As I was told by the buyer Taylor would come to my residence, pick up the truck, deliver a certified bank check and trundle off to his shop where the client would pay him to restore the interior to his specs.

Note ALL of this was a week AFTER the truck was bought on Ebay and the deposit paid.

HOWEVER, when I first spoke to Taylor he seemed completely hesitant to talk to me. He told me he didn't know anything about the vehicle and was coming to make an inspection. I said What inspection? If you mean checking the VIN and Chassis number fine but this vehicle was sold on Ebay. Granted, its good someone should make sure its not a hole-filled wreck but the truck is as advertised VINs match, engine matches all matches. I got my first uneasy feeling about him on that call because he really did not seem to want to come get this truck. I asked him if he had seen the advert or the website ... he said "I'd rather not get involved if its an Ebay deal." Really? No due diligence on a truck you are about to transport? I encouraged him to look at the photos in the advert. Nope! OK, come get it I said.

Today he shows up to pick up the car. I was not there as I am out defending America from an insane cultist terrorist group but fuck me, what do I know? My friend comes over with the keys and lets him in the barn where its kept. He looks at it , gets under it, kicks the ties and then gets in his truck and calls the buyer. He talks to him for 30 minutes and comes out, starts the truck. My friend goes "Hey you need to pull out the choke and let it warm up, its cold blooded." He ignores that tries to drive it right out and it stops. Needs gas and high revs. He gets out, gets in his truck and leaves.

He calls me later as he is returning back to Vermont. I say WTF. He says "I told the buyer I would not take this truck or give you the check because in my estimation its not worth what he paid for it." I said based on what? Is the bulkhead shot? Floor pans rusted out? The chassis rotted? Something there you saw that wasn't advertised? he said "because I won't restore the truck in my shop if he pays you what he bid on Ebay. If he wants to give you a check then fine but I won't give it to you."

I was stunned. I said Dude, that's not your decision to make. You were supposed to drop off a check and take back a truck. He says "I won't work on a truck in my garage because in my estimation that's not the price I would have paid."

Suddenly it hits me. (IMHO) Oh I see, he saw the check, called the client and said 'I can sell you a truck with a custom interior for your nice Nantucket home for the same amount.' and convinced the buyer to breach of contract soooo ...

1) I HAVE NEVER HAD A ROVER SHOP TELL ME THEY WOULD NOT DELIVER A CHECK, PICK UP A CAR AND WOULD NOT DO WORK ON A CAR BECAUSE THEIR OPINION IS HIGHER THAN A CONTRACT WHICH THEY TOOK NO PART IN. Nope, not even in Africa.

2) This little event just set a new low on my opinion of Congleton Services. God knows I have never heard of this fool and as of now I will work my hardest to inform everyone globally that this is a person and shop to avoid. God knows I would NEVER give this shop money since their standards are so high normal customers are forbidden to sell cars that might come to them.

3) Who TF is he to determine what the value of a Defender is? We've all seen real rusted out beaters and polished turds (TECHNICALLY ALL DEFENDERS ARE POLISHED TURDS) and vehicles without any documentation and funny titles and VINs but a Rover shop encouraging the client to breach a contract is a new one on me. Do any others do this to screw private owners??

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:47 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

I am not surprised in the slightest. With more and more of these trucks becoming available to the states, I can see the values dropping and the restoration biz becoming very cutthroat. More of these scenarios are likely to happen when multiple sellers are accessing the same clientele. If the seller had intended an inspection, that probably should have been information given up front. Sucks this has happened to you.

I am curious what all the buyer has communicated post-inspection though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:55 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

What does the buyer have to say about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2015, 04:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

In NY?
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:05 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I know enough about it to avoid voicing my opinion.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:08 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
That sucks Malcolm.. Sadly it was a cottage industry populated by enthusiasts....apparently not anymore.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:08 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
First thing that popped into mind... the guy has no idea on how to restore the truck and you were his scape goat.

Old May 21st, 2015, 04:10 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

What if the truck really is a POS? Can we see current photos?
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:16 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
What if the truck really is a POS? Can we see current photos?

Agreed always a what if ... go to the website in the story.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:21 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Sue them jointly for breach of contract.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:21 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Are those current photos though? I was under the impression they are 2 years old. A lot can happen to a Defender in 2 years, especially if its been bouncing around different repair shops

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2015 04:22 PM ------

Also this "brochure" is horrible and doesnt show any detail photos of commonly rusted or abused areas.

http://quickwit.com/wp-content/uploa...e-Brochure.pdf

The rebuild pictures also dont really show much. Just lots of respraying.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:25 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Land Rover Defender Standard | eBay
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:25 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Remember Taylor's client is the guy who 'purchased' your D-110. No need to get pissed at Taylor and tarnish his shop (and I know nothing about him or his shop). You do not know what Taylor was hired to do. Best to keep the deposit and move on by relisting. That is about all one can do when selling on eBay, especially when out of the country.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:27 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
What was the agreed upon price?
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:29 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Are those current photos though? I was under the impression they are 2 years old. A lot can happen to a Defender in 2 years, especially if its been bouncing around different repair shops

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2015 04:22 PM ------

Also this "brochure" is horrible and doesnt show any detail photos of commonly rusted or abused areas.

http://quickwit.com/wp-content/uploa...e-Brochure.pdf

The rebuild pictures also dont really show much. Just lots of respraying.

The All of the last page and Ebay (with NY plates, not Dubai plates) were taken the day of the sale. I am not a brochure maker or a dealer, just a owner.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

WOW theres a lot of overspray going on there...

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2015 04:32 PM ------

10% below asking price would imply a selling price of about $50k

That is not a $50k truck
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:37 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I don't know Taylor but I've heard of him. He's Jordan Blase's right hand man and copilot in the Ultra4 series.

Do you KNOW for FACT that Taylor sold him a different truck? If not it's probably wise to stop speculating. Regardless of your opinion and assumptions of Taylor, the buyer is still responsible for payment.
What does the buyer have to say about all this?
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:40 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Remember Taylor's client is the guy who 'purchased' your D-110. No need to get pissed at Taylor and tarnish his shop (and I know nothing about him or his shop). You do not know what Taylor was hired to do. Best to keep the deposit and move on by relisting. That is about all one can do when selling on eBay, especially when out of the country.

No, Taylor interjected himself into the conversation instead of picking up the vehicle and handing over the check. His shop's reputation is aligned with his choice to adjust the terms of a completed sale by refusing to carryout the duty he was assigned. What he did was at least unethical and potential places him in legal jeopardy if the buyer stops and buys a vehicle from him.

I need more than 'I would not have paid X amount. ' If that's the case none of us will ever sell our trucks. His opinion is legally dubious since it encourages a person to breach a contract without cause, which he can be held liable for.

Is this what Rover owners should expect? Who sets the bar on what you can and cannot sell?

110s sell much less on this forum then Ebay because the buying market is different.

However a shop telling an Ebay buyer to break the contract where no cause is found or because he can sell one cheaper is in itself a violation of Ebay terms. If it had been a certifiable POS or VIN swap or mistitled or real evidence of malfeasance or something then that's an argument but he made the choice to air his opinion and stop a sale at pick-up and he should deal with the fallout.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:42 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I think Taylor is qualified to certify it as a POS and based on what I can see, I'd say he might be right.

The fact that this truck was sold as "restored" is a crime in and of itself. Just look at it!
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:46 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Buckwheat View Post
No, Taylor interjected himself into the conversation instead of picking up the vehicle and handing over the check. His shop's reputation is aligned with his choice to adjust the terms of a completed sale by refusing to carryout the duty he was assigned. What he did was at least unethical and potential places him in legal jeopardy if the buyer stops and buys a vehicle from him.

I need more than 'I would not have paid X amount. ' If that's the case none of us will ever sell our trucks. His opinion is legally dubious since it encourages a person to breach a contract without cause, which he can be held liable for.

Is this what Rover owners should expect? Who sets the bar on what you can and cannot sell?

110s sell much less on this forum then Ebay because the buying market is different.

However a shop telling an Ebay buyer to break the contract where no cause is found or because he can sell one cheaper is in itself a violation of Ebay terms. If it had been a certifiable POS or VIN swap or mistitled or real evidence of malfeasance or something then that's an argument but he made the choice to air his opinion and stop a sale at pick-up and he should deal with the fallout.
It really doesn't matter what Taylor or anybody else says. The buyer still has an obligation. Plus, you have no idea what was discussed between the buyer and Taylor.
What does the buyer say?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender