Tax Implications for Selling your D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:16 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Tax Implications for Selling your D90

Someone please school me in the tax considerations for selling your D90. I have read different websites and seem to be finding conflicting info (imagine that). Is a Defender a collectible asset?

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Mine is a liability
Old January 3rd, 2016, 04:43 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If w2 filing people could take depreciation as a tax write off on their 1040's Be the biggest incentive to buy a new car.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I think you want to know if it is a Capital Asset, right?

Outside of the special rules re classic cars which determines the gain rate you pay, the IRS considers all personal cars capital assets. I don't feel like a NAS has met the typical classic car status yet.

A row could be argued differently IMO.

So, in short, IMO gains on a NAS will be taxable as capital gain and the gain rate will depend on your holding period and tax bracket just like other capital assets you might sell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:08 AM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
Take cash...lol
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Is there such thing as a gain on these things, lol? I'd have to sell mine for over $60k to make a penny on it!
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

I'm assuming then you can factor all the maintenance and upkeep to determine your basis. Is that correct? What about things like insurance and registration?

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:07 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Listen to Clay (1of40) - he knows what he is talking about...considering what he does for a living
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:25 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjah View Post
I'm assuming then you can factor all the maintenance and upkeep to determine your basis. Is that correct? What about things like insurance and registration?
General maintenance and upkeep I don't think would increase your tax basis if the vehicle is for personal use. If you how've swapped in a different engine, as an example, that would be IMO. I think the safe way to think about it is like a house. Maid service and painting is not likely to increase your basis in the house but a new AC/furnace should.

Thank for the vote of confidence Jonesy. Hopefully if there is anyone that practices individual income tax for a living spots something wrong or misleading will pipe in. I base my opinions on my corporate tax experience which is similar but can be different sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Who here reported catalog and online purchases to calculate use tax on state income tax forms over the last few decades? Assuming 99.9% did not. Ditto for folks turning cars for side income at volumes below the triggers requiring dealer status.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:14 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Who here reported catalog and online purchases to calculate use tax on state income tax forms over the last few decades? Assuming 99.9% did not. Ditto for folks turning cars for side income at volumes below the triggers requiring dealer status.
Especially if you are one of the .02% that are selected for audit. Come to think of it; anyone know of anyone under audit? I haven't heard of anyone being audited in over 20 years. Corporate audits are up but the only those with heavy transfer pricing issues that I know of. There is a huge deficit in trained and seasoned auditors left.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Especially if you are one of the .02% that are selected for audit. Come to think of it; anyone know of anyone under audit? I haven't heard of anyone being audited in over 20 years. Corporate audits are up but the only those with heavy transfer pricing issues that I know of. There is a huge deficit in trained and seasoned auditors left.
I have a friend who JUST got a notice of audit for her 2013 return - she went on sabbatical from a higher ed admin gig and did a fellowship.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:03 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
- they nailed my arse in 2014 (2013 tax yr) - no fun at all.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Clay I'm pretty sure your correct. Sell price less basis with only improvements increasing your basis. Most cars don't appreciate so you never see the gain on a personal vehicle. Can't take the loss

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old January 4th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Promark420
Bryan
97 NAS D90 SW #0221

Registry
The general formula: Basis-sales price=capital gain (loss).

Vehicles are considered personal use assets; however they are also capital assets because they don't fit IRC's definition of not capital assets. Still following me?

Basis is sales price + anything used to put the asset in service including delivery and installation. Capital improvements also increase basis. Capital improvements are things that either improve the useful life of an asset or increases the value of that asset. Repairs and maintenance do not count towards this.

The reality: most personal use assets aren't subjected to the rules of capital assets because most personal use assets don't appreciate in value. There are special rules for "first-time" home buyers (another definition in itself not necessary for this discussion) and a special capital gains rate for collectibles. Cars don't fall in the IRC's category of collectibles. Also, since cars are personal use assets, their losses can't be written off or used to offset capital gains. That freebie only applies to company capital assets. I'm not getting into depreciation or recapture. Given the nature of most vehicles, most people don't know this or care too much.

Bottom line: Purchase price-sales price=capital gain. If you had your D90 for more than a year and a day and it appreciated, you'll pay the long-term capital gain rate on the profit.

Source: BBA in accounting, 2 busy seasons in tax, not yet passed the CFP® Exam, future CPA. But always ask a tax pro about your situation.
Old January 4th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Promark420
Bryan
97 NAS D90 SW #0221

Registry
To answer your question, it's collectible if it's an antique. It's antique when your state says it's an antique. If we're talking about your 97 NAS, probably not unless you get it appraised as a collectibl.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90