Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Taveling to England - Looking for Recomendations

Hello all!

I was the lucky winner of a Trip to England from Land Rover North America, so I will be traveling there in September. When the trip culminates, I am flying my girlfriend out to meet me and we are going to spend about 5 additional days there together. While there together, we have no plans thus far, so I thought I would ask what other people recommend.

I have only been to London for a few hours ever, so I really haven't experienced any of England (aside from the inside of a few pubs before heading right back to Heathrow)

Where would you recommend we go? Any recommendations for places to stay, or things to do while we're there? I thought it might be cool to find a castle that you can spend a night in (I imagine there must be at least one). Does anyone know of one or can recommend one? In short, I have 5 days with no plans and we need to find places to stay and things to do, so any recommendations are welcome!

FWIW, she has very little interest in Cars or Rovers aside from liking that I like them and I am already doing the Factory Tour, Off Road Experience and Goodwood Revival with the LRNA Group, so we won't want to do those.

Thanks guys! I look forward to hearing what people have to say.
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Imperial War Museum (My favorite)
Tons of plays to see
Take her to Harrods
Tours to Stratford, Stone Hendge, Oxford, Tower Of London, Windsor Castle, Bath, etc...

It's endless, you could spends months touring and still not see it all.
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Bath is a nice place to visit and you can see stonehenge on the way.

(And do not tell her but you drive through the salisbury plain and might see some military rovers )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Its a sh*t hole ... don't bother going. ;-)

http://www.celticcastles.com/castle-search/list/england/

London has plenty to see and do ... you should visit the Tower of London - which is next to Tower bridge and other landmarks. You should ride the tube from Covent Garden to Leicester Sq ... both places you should visit.

Take a walk in Hyde Park and take a trip to Harrods - you can get the VAT back on purchases .... Church's shoes are my top purchase. Visit the food hall in Harrods and try their Fish and Chips ...

Take a day trip to Paris if you've never been... on Eurostar ... that's totally doable ... I've done it about 20 times. From only $66 each way per person!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Tons of plays to see
Take her to Harrods
Tours to Stratford, Stone Hendge, Oxford, Tower Of London, Windsor Castle, Bath, etc...

Stonehenge is pathetic, very disappointing and zip to do after looking at a bunch of rocks in the middle of nowhere ... not worth the trip ... Bath is nice but I wouldn't spend a day travelling there and back out of 5 days in the UK.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Tons of plays to see
Take her to Harrods

Loads of Museums & Galleries... Science / Natural History / V&A / Tate / Tate Modern ( walk from St Pauls Cathedral ( visit whispering gallery ) over the Millennium foot bridge accross the Thames to Tate Modern
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:09 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
If you're going to have wheels, travel up to Cambridge and Nottingham. Cambridge is beautiful at that time. Also, you could take the train over to Paris!
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Cambridge - maybe ... Nottingham ... No! That's like saying go to Birmingham ... ( and you shouldn't do that )
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/
http://www.blenheimpalace.com/ (for her)

All between Heathrow and Solihull.
But wait there is more!

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/
Roman stuff in Bath.
London Eye, Double decker bus tour of London
Yeah way to much.....

Heading over there later today/.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Definitely one of my favorites as well, but I was there just a few months ago, and about 80% of the floor exhibits/vehicles, etc. were gone. I asked them what was up, and they said they were removing the floor exhibits in preparation for a large refurbishment that they'd be starting **soon**. That's now underway, and the Large Exhibits Gallery is the main focus of the construction. Still worth it of course, but some of their most famous attractions may not be available until construction is completed.
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Definitely one of my favorites as well, but I was there just a few months ago, and about 80% of the floor exhibits/vehicles, etc. were gone. I asked them what was up, and they said they were removing the floor exhibits in preparation for a large refurbishment that they'd be starting **soon**. That's now underway, and the Large Exhibits Gallery is the main focus of the construction. Still worth it of course, but some of their most famous attractions may not be available until construction is completed.
Long story short I had a crazy amount of Japanese WWII artifacts that my wife didn't want me to store anymore and my daughter could care less about. After researching many museums I donated it ALL to the Imperial War Museum. They will be safely maintained, preserved and displayed forever.

A few years back I visited the Royal Guard Museum. Nice place, something like 2 pounds to enter. I found 3 mistakes, all Russian firearms related and mentioned it to one of the employees as I exited. He got the director who grabbed a book from the back to show me I was RIGHT! A total gentleman, he offered to refund my admission (I refused) and he commented, "Leave it to a Yank to know his guns better than a museum curator".

Have fun!
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Here are some of the details of the Imperial War Museum (IWM) London project:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london

Oh I also went through the Churchill War Rooms (also Imperial War Museum related, but they are quite a few miles away from one another). The Churchill War Rooms were pretty amazing, and you can go at your own pace - we were down there for a few hours, while others just listened to the audio and walked through briskly. It is located right near Big Ben.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/churchill-war-rooms
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Canterbury - more roman stuff than you can shake a stick at ... including roman walled city, norman castle, shops still in medieval buildings and a Cathedral that forms part of a world heritage site is over 900 years old and dates back much further.

Just over an hour from London on the train ...
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I'd get out of London ASAP.
If you're a Tolkien or CS Lewis fan definitely visit the Bird and Baby pub in Oxford. Unfortunately it got bought by a chain, but still good.
http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/theeagleandchildoxford/
If you love books there's an amazing huge used book store in Carlisle, you could spend on 5 days in it, and the lake district is nice.
http://www.bookcasecarlisle.co.uk/

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:42 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I agree about not driving to bath for just one day but a nice place to spend a few days also agree Stonehenge is a bit of a drive only recommended it if you are going to bath or somewhere near.

Lots of stuff to do in London could spend your entire time there. While in London we stayed at the county hall and it was nice.
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you have a car/ Rover drive throught the Cotswolds. Its been designated an area of "great natural beauty", ie... what they wish the rest of the UK looked like.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Beautiful coastal walks in Dorset, Sandbanks is good for the beach (some of the priciest real estate in the world too) but much quieter beaches in nearby Studland if you are a beach person, all about <2hrs from London.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

If your getting a car, take a trip north to the lake District, we used to stop I Ambleside and there are loads of places to visit & walks to do.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/

Then head across to York, lots of superb places to visit there, esp the Viking Museum & Minster.

http://www.visityork.org/

If you go by train to York you'll pass through Derby on the way... take some tin foil for when you pass by RR&A... they recycle spent fuel rods from the British sub fleet... it glow's at night
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

I'm eagerly following this thread, as Leanne and I are also visiting 'ye olde country' in September for nine days before I head off for my tour in Japan in October. Her grandfather was a South African member of the RAF effort in the Med and UK during WWII, and both of us are military and/or civilian pilots and history geeks, so many of the war museums are certainly on the short list.

We plan to mostly just stay in London and see many of the sights mentioned above by you guys, but she keeps prodding me to plan a trip up to Solihull while there, too. (And I'm sure I won't be forgiven by English Rover buddies if I don't.)

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:11 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I would say beyond getting away from London...getting away from England...but I'm biased and would love to go back for some more time in Scotland or Ireland (not Dublin...in fact I prefer NI)

Regardless sounds like a great trip in store.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat