Taveling to England - Looking for Recomendations - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
2005 Disco 3
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Its a sh*t hole ... don't bother going. ;-)

London has plenty to see and do ... you should visit the Tower of London - which is next to Tower bridge and other landmarks. You should ride the tube from Covent Garden to Leicester Sq ... both places you should visit.

Take a walk in Hyde Park and take a trip to Harrods - you can get the VAT back on purchases .... Church's shoes are my top purchase. Visit the food hall in Harrods and try their Fish and Chips ...
Also when you're walking across the tower bridge to the tower of London, take a look at the Gherkin (really an office building, but a unique design) and walk around the CITY of London a bit.

~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 65 Toyota FJ45LV
Do Londons main sites for the day like Westminster Abbey and Tower of London, but the one of the most beautiful places in UK is Lands End, and Cornwall. Tons of incredible hiking on the coastal cliffs with hidden beachs. Lands End hotel is cool, haunted (room 239 we stayed in) and amazing breakfast. British bacon is more like raw bacon. If you surf, go up to Devon and the Georgham Croyd area surf beachs. Romantic incredible stay at 900 yr old Pickwell manor. We stayed for two weeks. Google that!
We are buying a house near lands end, so for us its incredibly beautiful get away. And considering we live on Hilton Head Island......
Must visit Port Isaac. It really is exactly as it is in the TV show Doc Martin. Also Tintagel area has some great hiking and exploring.
As far as Solihull, B'ham area. Snore. Cotswolds are pretty, but full of tourists in summer and overpriced. But if you take the M3 south west to the 303 and you can hit Stonehenge and some lovely country driving on your way to Lands end. Takes you about 7 hours from London. See 1 castle, you see all castles. Getting of the M motorways lets you see what English villages are like. It is like the movies once you leave London.
Isle of Wight is beautiful, stay at FRESHWATER BAY HOUSE and hike to the needles.
The South coast of England around Brighton, Eastbourne. If you want to lay on a 800 foot white cliff, its quite a rush.
I also suggest trying to plan where to stay on line first. Because UK does NOT have hotels marked or with signs that are easy to spot from roads and highways. At dark its nearly impossible to find somewhere to stay.
Most beautiful country in the world I think.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM
I just moved back last summer from Manchester, which I liked a whole lot more than London. Im not a huge city guy so London is just too much. Ditch London and go north heading towards the M6. Make your way towards Malvern. No self respecting British car guy will be forgiven if you make a trip to England and do not visit the Morgan factory. The sight of a guy beating out a panel by hand, the wood being sanded and formed, and the old lady at the sewing machine crafting a seat cover absolutely cannot be beat. Its open to the public for tours. Do it. Then head to the Lake District and continue into Scotland. Northern England is that 'Pride and Prejudice' England (in fact, Lyme Hall is gorgeous and where the BBC version was filmed).

When are you going? If its later in the year, the Starlings will be doing their act and it is draw dropping in person.

<- wish I could embed this
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
It's grim up north as they say ... In the north of England.
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Spend your time in London, it's a fantastic city. Anyone who says otherwise is nuts. If you want to experience a bit of the country, which is a good idea. Go to Oxford and Stratford. Easy train trip from London.
If you like guns, clothes, shoes, And cigars then London has it.
Purdey, Holland and Holland, William Evans, Boss & Co. Beretta. All have great shops in Mayfair.
Cigar shops too. Dunhill, Davidoff, JJ Fox,
Harrods is awesome. You will like it too. Not just your wife. The food halls are cool.
Obviously you have to see Tower of London, Wetsminster Abbey, all the museums,
I would stay in Mayfair area. Someone mentioned The County Hall, beautiful hotel right on the Thames across from Parliament. It's a Marriott property. Also St Pancras Renaissance was just remodeled and is fabulous.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW
If you want to see the countryside & some breathtaking scenery, spend a couple of days in the English Lake District.

If not, stay in London.
Current fleet: '85 Ninety 3.9 V8i Auto SW, '95 Discovery (restoring it for my Nephew),'07 BMW 335Xi.
Past Land Rovers: '96 Discovery SD, '00 Range Rover HSE, '04 Discovery SE7, '07 Range Rover HSE, '08 LR3 SE7.
Past fleet: '89 Classic Mini, '83 Porsche 911 SC Coupe, '89 911 Carrera targa, '96 911 Carrera 4, '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, '04 Mini Cooper S, '11 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
It's up to you of course, but I've had a great time doing:
Portsmouth: ride the hovercraft to the Isle of Wight, check out the HMS Victory, Mary Rose and other historic ships - very cool and lodging is reasonable in that area.
The branch of the Imperial War Museum at Duxford is awesome. Right near Cambridge which I've been to ten times and always love. Don't miss the Chronophage if you go to Cambridge.
I actually like Birmingham and other working towns. The canal system in Birmingham is cool.
The Science Museum in London is great. I'm also a huge fan of the Transport Museum near the aforementioned Covent Gardens.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Michael Hill (Mick)
None (yet)
Ok, for what its worth, if you get out of London, can't believe no one suggested up the M11 to RAF Duxford IWM Great day out, Loads to see, lots of American exhibits.

If you go west to see Stonehenge, Bath, RNAS Yoevilton Air Museum,etc. head for a town just off the 303 called Mere, Talbot inn, complete with King Charles 1 stayed here sign. good food and good prices too. then its only a couple hours drive into Cornwall and Lands End. Tintagel and Padstow are both worth a visit, as is Newquay.
South Wales is worth a visit too (I was born and raised there) but it all depends on the weather. September is not too bad but pack a rain coat just in case.

Enjoy your trip, you will want to return.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:41 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Seen just outside London. I know which one I prefer

But wait there is more! http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/land-r...-eden-project/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pears and xoc.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	76970  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat