Taking a ROW 110 to Mexico - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Taking a ROW 110 to Mexico

I may be needing to take a trip to Mexico for a business venture in the near future and I was thinking of making a road trip out of it. It seems I have come across some posts that had mentioned not taking an import truck south of the border because, I assume, getting back with it could be a problem. Has anyone done this with or without problems? What kind of preparations should be made, or is this a strait up no no? Thanks for any advice.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's just me, but I'd rather road trip through Iraq or Afghanistan vice Mexico. I'd be more worried about my personal safety driving a high end truck with gringo plates through Mexico than crossing back in to the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
It seems I have come across some posts that had mentioned not taking an import truck south of the border because, I assume, getting back with it could be a problem.
I've read the same posts, but I don't see why it would be a problem. I've driven my personal vehicle down and back a couple of times, although it wasn't a ROW defender.

Where are you going in Mexico? I lived there most of last year.

@Wolf: no doubt parts of Mexico are dangerous, but not all. It's an amazing country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

I think the talk about not taking a ROW truck across the border is really limited to trucks that are either grey or flat out illegal.

A curious border patrol agent has a lot more pull than the fat lady at your local DMV...
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd

@Wolf: no doubt parts of Mexico are dangerous, but not all. It's an amazing country.
Heck yah, I know! I just know way too much about what is going on down there to even step foot in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Not sure where I am going, I am still doing some research. I was thinking of driving down the Gulf of Cal coast. I have heard it is generally safe in Baja. I have a couple of friends that drove all the way to Argentina a couple of years ago in a new FJ and they made it with no issues. I don't have that kind of time so my trip needs to be a bit shorter but a couple of weeks in Baja would hit the spot.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:40 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

I've only been to northern Baja, but the Peninsula is pretty safe.
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:10 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Do some homework first, when you drive thru central america, you will need a permit to enter each country with your truck. Not hard to get if you speak spanish.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
It's just me, but I'd rather road trip through Iraq or Afghanistan vice Mexico. I'd be more worried about my personal safety driving a high end truck with gringo plates through Mexico than crossing back in to the US.
You know if I cant take my Constitution or firearms (or access to some) I tend to shy away from the more "unstable" parts of this world! That being said it still amazes me how quickly you can lose your personal freedoms anywhere. "Be prepaired" is what it always comes down to.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...w/tw_5665.html

Stole this from Dan - ini88
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Sounds like a really bad idea to me
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Heck yah, I know! I just know way too much about what is going on down there to even step foot in there.

Ever been to Mexico? Please share your VAST KNOWLEDGE...

I'd be more worried traveling around parts of DC than I would parts of the Baja..
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2

Ever been to Mexico? Please share your VAST KNOWLEDGE...

I'd be more worried traveling around parts of DC than I would parts of the Baja..
You have no idea. I've spent the last 3 years working the issue with multiple govt agencies that I won't mention. Spent a cumulative of probably 5 months in and out of country at the embassy and cosulates. I am also the resident Mexico SME within the USMC. Need I say more???

Would you like a copy of my 140 page Masters Thesis on the topic too?

Baja is safe with the exception of Tijauana. Ensenada has had some issues, but nothing major.

All I stated was that as a Marine with multiple combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan AND working in Mexico, I'd rather visit IZ or AF - armed.

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

You go Wolf!
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Post it up, should be a good read...

Been going to not only to the Baja( San Felipe, Bahia de LA and points south) but west the coast of the sea of Cortez (Puerta Penasco and south past Hermosilla) in highly modified trucks,(including 110 and 90's) for years with ZERO ISSUES.

Paint it any way you want. If you look for trouble you'll find it. Travel in places were it's known to be trouble, at times when common sense tell you not too, you'll find it
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
If you look for trouble you'll find it. Travel in places were it's known to be trouble, at times when common sense tell you not too, you'll find it
That's why I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

it says the states down there that should be avoided per their recommendation. The list is frequently updated due to changing conditions, so check it as you near your planned trip, Jason. Then again, they list warnings for basically everywhere in the world.
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

A Ford Expedition would be stolen before a old 110 would...They aren't looking for collector items, they want vehicles that can be used to transport people and drugs without drawing any attention, and that's a proven fact.

Cross into MX in a 110 or 90, pretty much gonna get searched because the guy's want to check it out, crossing back into the US your gonna get a secondary for same the reason.
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Well, I guess that will be a no go.
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Back to the original question on taking the truck out of the country and re-entry. US customs has a record of your trucks entry/import with your details as well. Most if not all US border crossings have plate recognition camera's/ software and will see you leave and return. Should be a non issue. Use the truck for the purpose for which it was intended.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
A Ford Expedition would be stolen before a old 110 would...They aren't looking for collector items, they want vehicles that can be used to transport people and drugs without drawing any attention, and that's a proven fact.

Cross into MX in a 110 or 90, pretty much gonna get searched because the guy's want to check it out, crossing back into the US your gonna get a secondary for same the reason.
The issue isn't your truck being stolen, the issue is you are a red flag for robbery and kidnapping. A gringo 110 or 90 screams $$ in Mexico.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags