Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's my Master's Thesis if anyone actually cares to read it. I post it only for your reading pleasure and not to take away from this thread or to convince you not to visit Mexico. Please do not distribute, and it does not belong to me - it belongs to DoD.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COIN Intel Tactics in Mexican Drug War.pdf (905.4 KB, 1231 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2
Post it up, should be a good read...

Been going to not only to the Baja( San Felipe, Bahia de LA and points south) but west the coast of the sea of Cortez (Puerta Penasco and south past Hermosilla) in highly modified trucks,(including 110 and 90's) for years with ZERO ISSUES.

Paint it any way you want. If you look for trouble you'll find it. Travel in places were it's known to be trouble, at times when common sense tell you not too, you'll find it
Agree 100%. Farther east and south and it becomes Indian country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For what it's worth, I talked to James at NLX extensively about this topic on my trip last week. NLX had texas plates originally on ROW RHD 110's, and passed back and forth through mexico and US border before moving operation permanently to Guatemala. He said all you need is your original title and US drivers license in all the C American countries and he never had a problem. He also said if you use the toll highways, you fly through Mexico at highway speeds avoiding all the pop centers.

Having spent 2 weeks driving around Belize and Guatemala, I felt completely safe with the locals, to include police and military. I would not think twice and can't wait to go back.

My first hand experience is that Defenders tend to look very "official" like research, gov, etc, and law enforcement tends to speed you through check points and are excessively friendly.

Check with James as mexican troublespots tend to change locations over time which requires up to date info to avoid.

btw, all the C.A. countries are as worried as we are about mexican cartel trouble.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2012 04:09 PM ------

also, no RHD vehicles in El Salvador, rest don't care.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Once again...common sense, travel thru the border in daylight, do a little research on the hot spots and your biggest issue will be clean fuel and water
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:59 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I am assuming diesel is readily available down there? I have been a bunch of times but never drove so I never payed much attention
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:03 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

yep...
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Anyone know if there is a ferry that takes cars across the Gulf of Ca?
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Greg posted than. not me.

You should be fine. Yes there are good and bad places anywhere you go. Just be smart about your travels.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I've never had a problem crossing back and forth and I cant believe you ever would. I bring my title and a good copy including all other relevant documents. I also bring my dogs every time and just be sure to have the rabies vax current. I stopped paying for the USDA permit because they just dont care.
Been down to Mexico a lot over the last 10 years. It has gotten more shady but Baja is still Baja although you need to keep your wits about you. Normal travel paranoia applies; Dont drive at night, dont camp anywhere near towns, try to keep a low profile, dont be a douche, etc. For Baja I cross in Mexicali now, TJ is just not worth it. I like to get a full day of driving south of the boarder before I can really relax.
FWIW I would start with Baja then think about the mainland.... baja is better IMHO and you could easily spend a month or 2 and still want more, unless you are going way south.
The ferry is still going, but unless you are heading to Central America stay in baja, there is a lot to explore!

Wolf- Thanks for the paper! I just skimmed the abstract and it looks fascinating. I can tell you with certainty that your masters work was much more interesting than mine.

Jay- I just notced you are in Mill valley, let me know if you want to meet up and chat sometime.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88

Greg posted than. not me.
You two are one and the same in my mind. :D
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:01 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
The issue isn't your truck being stolen, the issue is you are a red flag for robbery and kidnapping. A gringo 110 or 90 screams $$ in Mexico.
Your thesis looks interesting, and I'll have to have a read, but I think you're being a bit dramatic. He's not going to get robbed or kidnapped because he's a gringo driving a 110. He's got a better chance of being robbed in the east bay (California) than in Mexico. Tourists still visit Mexico, though not as much as they used to, and they're not getting kidnapped left and right.

Like others have said, just use common sense, and avoid the hot spots. Mexico has tons of great places to explore. Go for it.

ps - A little Spanish goes a long ways...
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I do drive through Oakland and Vallejo often
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:24 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Your thesis looks interesting, and I'll have to have a read, but I think you're being a bit dramatic. He's not going to get robbed or kidnapped because he's a gringo driving a 110. He's got a better chance of being robbed in the east bay (California) than in Mexico. Tourists still visit Mexico, though not as much as they used to, and they're not getting kidnapped left and right.

Like others have said, just use common sense, and avoid the hot spots. Mexico has tons of great places to explore. Go for it.

ps - A little Spanish goes a long ways...

Yep...a bit dramatic

You really need to get over the fact that 110's or 90's draw more attention than a Expedition...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags