Tail Light Boot Installation - Fixing Hosed Tail Lights
My tail lights and brake lights were intermittent and on the blink, so having recently removed the rear harness from my disassembled d90, I took the opportunity to install the tail light boot kit available from Rovers North.
The pix pretty much lay it out, but here are some explantory captions:
1) No surprise that the lights were hosed, all that corrosion in the connectors...
2) This is basically the contents of the kit, x5 of each piece. At like 150ish bucks, its not what I would call a "great value" even with the tube of Wurth's silicone sealer thrown in to sweeten the deal.
3) There isnt a lot of wire to work with (especially if some hack has worked on your tail lights under warranty) so I had to get agressive with binder clips to hold the boot back while I soldered.
4) I hate soldering, so after much swearing, I had 5 completely installed boots. If I was doing this on the truck I would have just crimped the connectors. I used layers of heat shrink tubing to fill the space in the tail of the boot instead of the silly cone sealer. I figure it will do a better job of sealing the end and will not be a mess to remove later if I want.
I'm happy with the result, and the look like they'll work nicely. Time will tell how they hold up in service.