Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 28th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Tahoe and the New Jeep Wrangler

Hey Guys,

I am out in Lake Tahoe visiting my brother and we happened on the tail end of the press event for the New Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Rubicon. They've been running the Rubicon Trail. I used to work for Land Rover and happened to know a few people at the event. They let us look around at all of them. They are very cool if you ask me, but let me know what you think of the pics.

Will H.

'99 TReK Disco II
'03 TReK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 026.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	6380   Click image for larger version

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 028.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	6381  

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 033.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	6382   Click image for larger version

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 035.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	6383  

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 036.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	6384   Click image for larger version

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 043.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6385  

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 044.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	6386   Click image for larger version

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 045.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	6387  

Name:	tahoe and jeeps 061.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	6388  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I guess since it's been dragged over the Rubicon they can stick one of those "trail rated" badges on it.

If it was a horse I would shoot it.
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
it really favors that H3 thing. sorta like a Jeep and H3 got stuck in a blender and thats what came out.
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I like the rubicon unlimited--it looks cool. Some of the long arm suspension systems I have seen on built jeeps are really amazing--very well done. There are some fantastic aftermarket accessories for Jeeps that are incredibly engineered. I still prefer the D90/D110, but the gap is not as much as it used to be. It sure would be nice to go to local aftermarket suppliers and pick stuff up off the shelf...
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Straight up, I think the 4 door Wrangler is good stuff. I'm naturally biased toward Rovers, but my main dislike for Wranglers (other than being common as grass and having frightenly twitchy handling) is that they are absurdly small. Now its something more than a 4WD Miata.

On another note, I've never understood why Jeep has the radius and trailing arms attach to brackets which hang off the bottom of the chassis. It seems like it would be in the way.
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Jeep has home run with this one. Having seen the preview shots, I had never seen one side by side with the old model. The new Wrangler has some heft to it from what these pics show.

Sure, I like the Rover concept better, but Jeep is improving. And unlike all new Rovers, you don't see a myriad of electro gizmos and short life suspension system. Comparing apples to apples, I doubt Rover will do as well with the Defender line when it undergoes thorough revision in 2012.
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Straight up, I think the 4 door Wrangler is good stuff.
I second that. I just got my MotorTrend today and I was eyeing that 4 door. Not that I'm planning on trading in the 90 of course.... but they are moving in the right direction. Now they just have to release it with the diesel!

Follow-up Post:

Looks like that black 4 door had a little bumper issue on the trail... cheap plastic bumpers.
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

The soft top on that one side photo of the 4 door looks like a serious piece of crap. The chunky styling is attractive I think but I'd like to try to squeeze my 6'3 250 lb frame in that rear door, doesn't look fun. The thing with a jeep though is they certainly aren't cheap when you get a rubicon or unlimited and with the parts you need to get it up to speed you don't save much on a good D90 and the parts we have to buy.
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You do a long arm suspension and lift and put some 35's on there and you have a hell of an expedition wheeling machine, the new answer to a 110.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

It looks like they switched to BFG MTs from the Goodyear MTRs?
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
4 doors and it looks good! I like it.

97 D90 SW
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:45 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
it really favors that H3 thing. sorta like a Jeep and H3 got stuck in a blender and thats what came out.
I completely agree. Also, just like the H2 and H3, it just looks cheap to me. It looks like a toy
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I like it for no other reason than it has four doors.

If a non-93' D110 were available it wouldn't be an issue, but in this case I'd settle for a four door Jeep.

Of course I agree with a few of the previous posts. The plastic bumper has got to go. Along with those fender flares.

Hack!!
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Jeep will blow out the market with this model. Land Rover gave us the soft top Freelander.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:28 PM
praetorian
prat

For those of us with only, say, 30K to spend and a desire to spend it on something with less than 80K miles, it's pretty much the only option. I tried to get into the FJ Cruiser, because the old FJ40's and BJ40/42's were just about perfect, but I've come to see it for the giant pile of plastic crap that it is.

I'm bummed that jeep so totally f**ked up the fender flares and bumpers, and they also added this idiotic slope to the front grille that makes it look slouchy. Plus, the hardtop is as retarded looking as ever, or maybe even a little more so...

In other bummer-news, the MB blu-tec diesel didn't pass 50-state emissions, so there is even less of a chance of it finding its way into a wrangler.

So, your options:

- Drop 35K on a D90 with a f**k-ton of miles on it and... yeah.
- Drop 80K+ sending it to Mike and getting it into good shape with a diesel engine (hey, if you are gonna go big, go big)
- Drop 30K on one of these + 5K replacing all the plastic shite on it, and drive around wishing you could just buy a new defender or an original BJ42.

I hate automakers. Sometimes I think I should approach International about buying the rights to the Scout name, just to produce a decent, bare bones 4x4.

Cheers,
prat
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:14 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I saw somewhere that Honda is getting with International and making a new Scout. I did buy an FJ Cruiser, and it does have an awful lot of plastic on it. In fact, it seems like everything nowadays is going with a cheap plastic bumper. But, it drives great and is a lot bigger than the Rubicon I traded in.
I like the FJ, but sometimes I wish I still had my Jeep. I like having some things in a daily driver that the FJ has, like power windows, a/c, an alarm and some good power under the hood. I wish it were a little more utility, but then again, I have a Defender. If I were to go wheeling the woods, the 90 will be my weapon of choice. If I were to go on a long drive to go camping in the middle of the mountains, I think the FJ would be a better choice as far as comfort goes. Right now it really is the only choice.
The current Jeep is too small, and the Unlimited is rediculous. You have to be an acrobat to get into the back of one. The new four door may be what the FJ gets traded in for.
Dammit LR, what the hell is wrong with you? Missing giant opportunities over here.

97 D90 SW
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
praetorian
prat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
I saw somewhere that Honda is getting with International and making a new Scout.
Huh. Google doesn't know anything about it...

Quote:
I did buy an FJ Cruiser, and it does have an awful lot of plastic on it. In fact, it seems like everything nowadays is going with a cheap plastic bumper.
Cheap plastic *everything*. Its a race to the bottom.

Quote:
The current Jeep is too small, and the Unlimited is rediculous. You have to be an acrobat to get into the back of one. The new four door may be what the FJ gets traded in for.
I had a deposit down on the FJ, and during the test drive I couldn't see a damned thing behind me. Another criticism of modern vehicles: visibility sucks.

Quote:
Dammit LR, what the hell is wrong with you? Missing giant opportunities over here.
Well, given that even MB's diesels can't get CA clean, and that LR would have to rebuild the front end for collision, we are getting what we deserve.

Cheers,
prat
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:39 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I read it on the FJCruiserforums.com website. I don't know if it holds any water. Supposedly a guy who is in the Scout club told another guy, etc.. Probably BS.

97 D90 SW
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:42 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

That has been my first impression of the FJ.

Lots of plastic like everything else out there, poor visibility, and IFS. One of the 4x4 magazines is doing a build on the FJ, solid front axle and other stuff.

I gotta give Jeep credit though, they have stuck with a solid front axle. The offroad guys have to fight for it with every model change.
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I like what they guys over at American Expedition Vehicles are doing. The AEV Brute is sick. But, even that is still a Jeep. The FJ is the closest thing to a Defender over here, but it's not really even close at all. At least it is reliable and under warranty. Some guys are doing some cool things to them, but there is not a lot of aftermarket available to them now.
I hate to get into the comparison battle with them over there on that forum. Most of the people on the board don't have a clue about 4wd's and think that slapping a hi lift on the aluminum roof rack makes thier truck a bad ass. I explained to them the other day that the FJ wouldn't be around in 10 years, and they got a little pissy with me.

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat