Tahoe and the New Jeep Wrangler - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Saw the new Wrangler 4 door hardtop yesterday in a parking lot. It reminded me a lot of the Mercedes G wagen.

I didn't look close (I was afraid someone might recognize me) but it was butt ugly, at least in stock form.
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hhmmmm....a Convertible H3??? I'll stick with a broken in Rover any day.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

The FJ Cruiser can be made pretty cool. These will replace all the plastic on it http://www.fabfours.com

The owner, RJ, is the one who rolled my D90 - so if anyone ever buys anything from them...give him a hard time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bcnh28ud.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	7293  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:58 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
The Rubicon doesn't really do a thing for me. Looks like a "should we change/not change, poorly designed vehicle.
No flow to it at all, and looks cheap. The Toyota is a little better, but still lacks intended purpose design.
But, we are comparing apples and oranges- The LR is a proven international legend.

LR are hand built vehicles, rivets and all. Easily fixed in the field, and built for their intended purpose- r Made to conquer obstacles in the harshest environements in the world, and made to get out of those environements with the help of a tool box. All in style and oustanding lines. Now LR was not designed to rock crawl extreme obstacles. But like other vehicles can be upgraded. A stock defender will outperform any modern 4x4 wanna be.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:23 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm still confused how square and boxy vehicles with terrible visibility for the driver came to be in style. I really don't like (or understand) the H2/Jeep Commander look that they seem to be moving the Wrangler to.

It also really sucks that they have done away with the straight 6 engine that made the Wrangler so fun to drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I would love to agree with you that the stock D is able to outperform any modern day vehicle on the trail but I would have to say that the new 4wd technology being put into the newer vehicles is pretty damn cool. I know that I can't fix it myself with a toolbox, but hopefully I won't have to. I don't want to get into the FJ vs. D, or Jeep battle, but I bought an FJ and love it. It is no Defender by way of looks, but it really drives great and has plenty of power. The new 4wd technology it has with ATRAC and the Rear locker is outstanding, and they are coming out with a lot of cool aftermarket stuff for it. I will post a SEMA link, I really like what ARB is doing with them.

Also, I would like to add that I see a lot of Toyotas "in the bush" and on safari type shows. I haven't seen any FJ's there yet, but if I was going to do a couple hundred mile journey into Africa's wilderness, I would take my Toyota. I would love to take the D, but if something broke and I couldn't fix it, I wouldn't want to end up as a lion's dinner. Hell, I can't even drive it to the gas station without some new little problem arising.

Like I said, this is just my opinion and am not trying to debate.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...highlight=SEMA

Link: Keep looking at the better ones, and ignore the bling and other BS. ARB's is cool and so is Warn's.

97 D90 SW
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Saw the new Wrangler 4 door hardtop yesterday in a parking lot. It reminded me a lot of the Mercedes G wagen.

I didn't look close (I was afraid someone might recognize me) but it was butt ugly, at least in stock form.

Same here. It was silver.

Quite plastic & didn't look very smooth.

I look forward to seeing someone properly outfit one. Then mabye it'll get a second look.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Shawn, I'll bet your Toyota would be less likely to break down in Africa but if it did it would be much much harder to find someone who could fix it, compared to the Defender.

I have watched some of the electronic 4wd systems and they do a great job. I just wouldn't want to depend on them when the going gets tough. I'll bet the Toyotas that you see on safari in Africa don't use electronic traction control. And I don't think the newest Unimogs use it. I don't think true utility vehicles should use it, at least not what is available to us civilians.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Shawn, I'll bet your Toyota would be less likely to break down in Africa but if it did it would be much much harder to find someone who could fix it, compared to the Defender.
Totally agree!

97 D90 SW
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I had a professor from RI tht would lead expeditions into Northern Sudan and the Nabi Desert. He said that he would frequently use Toyotas but on occasion they would use Landys.

If you guys haven't seen this site yet, it is very cool. This is only one day of their journey from Copenhagen to Capetown. The alternator account is awesome.

http://www.southing.com/Templates/di...ight_28dec.htm
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Sorry Guys,

I finally caved. Dealer delivered it to my house on Friday. Don't worry, I still have a rover.

Will H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3216.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	9020  
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:28 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Dont be sorry, that's a great truck!

97 D90 SW
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Nice Jeep.

I know Jeeps better than Rovers, no doubt about it - I'm a Rover newbie, and possibly short timer, too, whereas in 10 years and something like 300k miles in Jeeps...

I don't want an argument, because I realize my Rover experience is seriously flawed. I've spent the last few weekends fixing a myriad of broken crap on my RRC, "Rust Bucket." So far I've gotten the parts I've needed, and there's help here with know-how... but damn I just don't know if it's worth it.

I had my company Rubicon (not the newfangled slopey styled one... a real '03 Rubicon ) out on site last week for surveying. It was muddy, hilly, poorly graded terrain on the construction site next door, so I took the Jeep for some exercise. What a blast. nearly 1:1 grades, slippery, deep drainage ditches... nothing ever troubled the Jeep. I put her nose down on the steepest grade I could find (couldn't see the bottom of the slope), 1st gear low and just crawled down w/o slipping. Never ever got RPMs over 1k - then went up the other side w/ lockers on (just because) and it was the same thing: a retarded infant could have crawled his way up faster - never touched the gas up or down. That's a great gear ratio combined with lockers.

My point is... what would a Rover do better? I know I get heated seats (that don't work), power windows (not a huge improvement on the sliding windows on the Jeep), leather seats (and?), and a very stylish, classy European vehicle... but that's just looks.

Strange thing: I am getting to like the POS Rust Bucket the more I work on it even though the more I work on it, the more breaks or needs replacing. It's a neat truck. The mechanicals are simple and relatively easy to figure out. it is a cool truck style-wise.

I also seriously doubt it's ability to keep up with the Rubicon on a difficult trail (or bad rough site, in my use).

All this Jeep v. Rover "stuff" seems to be just that - stuff. I suspect that the pictured 4 door Unlimited Rubicon(s) would not get left behind by any Rover new or old. Their capabilities should demand respect - especially in Rubicon trim. They may not look as Safari as the D90s... but they certainly have the capabilities.

Again, I ain't interested in arguments. I respect Rovers. After all, they did take a Jeep and mimic it to get started... how bad can they be? (ducks and covers).

Then there's the whole "I'd rather push a land Rover than drive a Jeep" thing, which is good because, in my experience... pushing that Rover is entirely likely.

(Now really ducking for cover LOL)
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
I don't want an argument, because I realize my Rover experience is seriously flawed. I've spent the last few weekends fixing a myriad of broken crap on my RRC, "Rust Bucket."
Uh, nope, not flawed. Sounds like you are having a very typical rover experience.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

That's not "a good thing."
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
That's not "a good thing."
I know. Owning a Rover is sometimes not a good thing. You just have to love the quirks. Thats the only way all of us can own a truck made a company that comes in either dead last or near on every measure of reliablity no matter who owns them.

But in all seriousness, a Rubicon is a more capeable truck in stock form. They are built with that in mind. But here's the thing, every truck has major limitations. The lockers are notoriously weak, the t-case outputs are a problem, ect. To get the truck that you really want, you have to replace a lot on both a rover and a Jeep. I will say the quality control on the Jeep is way better.

For me, I knew about where I wanted to end up as far as capability so I knew I had to dump the axles comlete and most of the suspension regardless if it was a Jeep or anything else. So it came down to having the exact same thing as everybody else on every trail in America, or having something completely different and original. I went with the Rover for that reason, and it is much lighter with a stronger frame.

But, if you want to buy something and throw 33's on it and call it good. There is nothing better then the old style Rubicon.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

The RRC and D90 are very different vehicles. Especially capability wise. If you want to compare your rubicon to a rover, compare it to a 90, Not your RRC. (Reliability and capability wise).
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
'knocking on wood' as I say this, but I've been very fortunate so far with my D-90, maybe the previous owner suffered most of the headaches of my truck. From the time I've owned it, I scoured this site and read up on every 'could go wrong' issue and have kept ontop of it as best I can. This isn't an '07 vehicle with all new technological bell and whistle. I would be put off if I had issues with a brand new ride that I just bought off the showroom floor, however, the car is over a decade old and that needs to be kept in-mind.

Like Buck stated, if I wanted what everyone else owned, I could have ended up in a Brand New fully loaded Jeep Wrangler. I chose to man-up.
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

photo looks good..detail details how is this jeep equiped?
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`m kind of curious about the electronicly disconnecting sway bars Jeep introduced. Seems like a pretty legit idea. Fact of the matter is either way you look at it though, Jeeps are great rigs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
The RRC and D90 are very different vehicles. Especially capability wise. If you want to compare your rubicon to a rover, compare it to a 90, Not your RRC. (Reliability and capability wise).
I`ve seen some RRCs that`ll keep up with a D90 NO problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat