Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 9th, 2014, 06:00 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Tacoma's

Thinking of going this route for my 16 y/o who needs reliable transportation. If you have personal experience and know what I should be looking for that's particular to these trucks I would appreciate a heads up. Probably going to look at early 2000's with 4WD & extra-cabs.

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2014, 06:08 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

There was a period where the frames were bad (sounds familiar) so be sure to check for that.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:32 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I had a 2007 (bought new) access cab, SR5, 4x4 and traded in this year for a 2014 Tacoma access cab, Sport 4x4.
I only put about 80k miles on it.
I had 0 problems with the truck - all I did was put new tires on.
Trade in value was great.

As Gary noted there were some frame and rust issues.

The 07 had several recalls but nothing major as I recall.
I think the Tacoma is a great truck - mine is a work truck but has become my daily driver too..

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2014, 07:21 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Thanks guys. I did read about the bad frames. I read they were part of a recall which seems like a nightmare for Toyota.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
They are bullet proof, deserve the reputation they have for quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Bodies and frames rust long before the drivetrain fails.

Getting a rust free example is the hardest part of this choice imho
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
My opinion of Toyota is that if you are going to buy one, buy it new. They hold their value too well for it to make sense to buy a used one.
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:06 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
My opinion of Toyota is that if you are going to buy one, buy it new. They hold their value too well for it to make sense to buy a used one.
Agree with this.

I was also somewhat looking for a mint early 2000s tacoma double cab - here's one I considered, low miles, new frame, you can see these hold their value if nice:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...e-17500-a.html

Instead pretty sure I'm gonna get a new 4runner but same rationale - like tacomas just hold their value too well if you were to buy new and sell in a few years.
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:39 PM
burlsube
Nick
1985 110 CSW

Registry
My dad has a on '04 with about 200k on it. So far it has only needed oil changes, brakes, and tires. It refuses to die.
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:05 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I don't have one, but I saw one on tv! Jk. Top Gear vouches for the build quality of Toyota trucks, in this case an SR5, despite trying their hardest to find a reason not to. They put one in a plinth in their studio due to its resilience! They claimed it to be un-killable. Bulletproof, bombproof, building-proof! I remember an episode of top gear where they put it on top of an apt. tower and then demolished the building with explosives. Drove it away! This was the same truck that they had already tried relentlessly to destroy without ever doing a single repair involving replacement parts. I'm just sayin' ;-)
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Agree with this approach.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:11 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I've had 3 of those generation Tacomas and have loved every one of them-April still has one in fact (02 extracab prerunner).

Biggest issue is the frame as you've already noted.
Go with the V6 over the 4cyl, I would say pre-runner vice 4wd for a younger driver just for the sake of insurance costs.

Note that the 1.0 and 1.5 Tacoma's have a following and subsequent price point, the follow on generation of Tacomas is larger and (IMHO) ugly as sin. The original Taco stays much closer to the Hilux line, of course now Hilux's look like the 2nd gen Taco and are subsequently also ugly as sin.

Personal observation: when I come off this overseas gig while my D3 is being shipped back there is a strong possibility that I'll be shopping for a 02-04 doublecab 4x4 to build up (just like everyone else on ExpO) for April to have as a DD eventually so my eldest daughter can take the current extracab as her first vehicle.

The buy it new idea makes some sense but this is a Land Rover forum so what place does that really have here? You are going to pay a premium for a Toyota whenever you buy it in its lifecycle for a reason, thus get the one you want. The new ones asthetically just aren't that great, may as well get one that looks decent even if you're paying twice what you'd pay for a Rover!
r-
Ray
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:43 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Thanks guys, this is helpful to hear. I really struggle buying something non-Rover for his first vehicle. He would love a series but the reality is today's kids that play HS sports or active in community stuff and want to go to college have zero time for anything else. It's kind of a shame really. I remember having time as a teenager to play sports, have part-time jobs and chase tail. Preparing for a large state college career didn't start freshman/sophomore year that's for sure. So as a result I think the closest he'll get to Roverhood is me sharing my DD from time to time.

I look forward to the search and seizure.

Clay

Old December 10th, 2014, 07:45 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
If you can find one for a good price grab it, but that's rare. I looked at used ones with 30-60k but for literally a few grand more I bought a brand new 2014 Double cab long bed

While they are reliable as all hell, they do lack some creature comforts (even with the trd package). Limited is nicer but add 5k over base

Have him sit in the seats for awhile. I have to say they are my biggest complaint on trips longer than an hr. And they haven't changed much since the first gen.

As for the frame- most should have gotten new frames. But obviously a visual inspection can show you if its good or not

Get a 4wd if you see snow. 2wd pickups suck in the snow (trust me I've had 3 through work, and I hated every one)
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:42 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Watch out for the frames, only a select plant goofed up the prep process, I think it was Mexico and they didn't acid wash the frames prior to coating them.

I had a 99 4cyl 4x4 that I loved. I bought in 2005 for about $9k around 2008 I heard about the frame rot issue. Here is a pic of my truck at the dealership after the tech took his keys and hammer to the frame. I left with a loaner truck. 2 days later I had a check in my hand for about $13k. 150% of perfect blue book value. The tech had a truck towed in that snapped at the axles a few days before I took mine in. I also heard about people having frames snap when being put on the lift.

A few people cashed in on the deal by buying up 2-3 of these trucks before the owners got the letters. I never got a letter, I just heard about it from a friend.

The 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 was a great combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rustytaco.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	108362  
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

As for the frame- most should have gotten new frames. But obviously a visual inspection can show you if its good or not
I don't think that is true. If I remember correctly, most go cleaned and undercoated. I worked with two Toyota techs in Richmond, and they said their dealerships only did a couple of frames.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
dont discount 4 runners either, either choice is a good one my boss has one with 367x another boss has one with 405k both have been trouble free
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
I don't think that is true. If I remember correctly, most go cleaned and undercoated. I worked with two Toyota techs in Richmond, and they said their dealerships only did a couple of frames.
Your correct. Most of the bad ones got replaced. But most of all of them got "fixed" one way or the other. Thanks for the correction
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Reliable trucks when maintained as everyone states. Great for fitting 16yo in it. I personally find them very uncomfortable, but still solid trucks.
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:27 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Reliable trucks when maintained as everyone states. Great for fitting 16yo in it. I personally find them very uncomfortable, but still solid trucks.
We're not skinny a$$ teenagers though! At least not anymore. Best advice as stated earlier,"have him sit in one for a while." Seems like that is one of the only drawbacks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac