Switching to bio diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Switching to bio diesel

So I'm thinking of switching one of mt d90's to Bio Diesel. I know there are alot of build threads on the subject but, I'm trying to avoid sifting through years of information. Does anyone know of a thread that covers the subject really well. I'm looking for information that covers the complexities and cost.

I have a 95 ST and a 97SW. Next year I'd like to get my hands on a 130, so which to convert would also be a consideration. Thanks in advance for any input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What do you want to know? What type engine(s) do you have?

There is a thread called: Do you run your 300tdi on Biodiesel. Search for it or ask away.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
What do you want to know? What type engine(s) do you have?

There is a thread called: Do you run your 300tdi on Biodiesel. Search for it or ask away.
I am running a 3.9 in the ST and a 4.6 in the SW. At this point I dont know what I dont know...so I'm lookin to edumicate myself! I guess I'll do some searching to formulate some intelligent questions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So you are considering installing a diesel engine in one of those to vehicles then?
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
So you are considering installing a diesel engine in one of those to vehicles then?
yes, but I want to get a 130 later this year so maybe...depending on the 130's condition and such...maybe that turns into a conversion project? I want at least one vehicle with bio diesel flexibility rather than being dependent on regular fuel.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Nothing costly or complex about running biodiesel once you have a diesel engine. You may have to change the fuel return hoses if you get a Tdi (see http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384) and maybe a couple fuel filters in the beginning. Nothing to convert though, really. If you want to run straight or waste vegetable oil (SVO/WVO), then it's more complicated.

Converting one of your trucks to a diesel engine is the costly, complex part. If you're going to buy a 130, you might as well start with a diesel if you want to run bio.

RMR4x4 has had a diesel 130 for sale for some time now:

http://www.rmr4x4.com/web/1178/vehic...Defender%20130
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Seems like a good idea. If you're happy with your 90's and you want to keep them that way I would install a 300tdi or TD5 in your new 130 project.

Biodiesel is the cats pajamas and there's very little conversion to be done once you have a diesel engine installed. In general an older diesel engine like the 300tdi is more tolerant with bio compared to brand new, highly computerized engines. There are threads on this here.

I have been running all kinds of bio blends (B20-B99) for the past 3 years. You get slightly lower milage but about 70% less emissions and it acts a solvent to clean and lubricate your engine.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've run B20 in a 300Tdi with no changes at all (except a filter just to be safe). No negative affects, and I actually picked up 1/2 mpg. Only downfall is they just closed the only biodiesel dealer here in my area of VA! Still run it when I'm back in NY though...

Td5's can't run bio though from what I understand.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I have a full greasecar setup sitting in the shop, but there's no easy source for either commercial bio or veggie oil locally any more.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
I have a full greasecar setup sitting in the shop, but there's no easy source for either commercial bio or veggie oil locally any more.
The only bio place I knew of was the Quarters K Citgo up in Arlington...but they closed back in November unfotunately. You know of any others?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Nope, that was the only thing outside of a private-brand station in Leesburg. The only consolation is that the site of that station is getting integrated into Arlington Cemetery. I believe there's a station on the Northern Neck as well, but unless you're heading out that way . . .

There was a guy selling home brew b100 in quantity on Craigslist for a while near Harpers Ferry, but he's disappeared as well (I'm sure the IRS wanted to chat with him).
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Nope, that was the only thing outside of a private-brand station in Leesburg. The only consolation is that the site of that station is getting integrated into Arlington Cemetery. I believe there's a station on the Northern Neck as well, but unless you're heading out that way . . .

There was a guy selling home brew b100 in quantity on Craigslist for a while near Harpers Ferry, but he's disappeared as well (I'm sure the IRS wanted to chat with him).
Is the Leesburg place still selling?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Last I knew. But it ain't cheap.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Nothing costly or complex about running biodiesel once you have a diesel engine. You may have to change the fuel return hoses if you get a Tdi (see http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384) and maybe a couple fuel filters in the beginning. Nothing to convert though, really. If you want to run straight or waste vegetable oil (SVO/WVO), then it's more complicated.

Converting one of your trucks to a diesel engine is the costly, complex part. If you're going to buy a 130, you might as well start with a diesel if you want to run bio.

RMR4x4 has had a diesel 130 for sale for some time now:

http://www.rmr4x4.com/web/1178/vehic...Defender%20130
I spotted that the other day...this is what I have in mind (Dream of).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ra_flyfisher01.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	46609  
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bio diesel is supposed to cost less because the govt subsidizes it. The Exxon station near my farm in Va sells b10 and undercuts the surrounding stations. Here locally the station on Naval station Annapolis sells B20.
I run it whenever I can.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I suppose we are fortunate here in OR. We have a refinery and it's available all over the place. For most of the summer it was cheaper than regular, now it's probably about the same. I run B20 in the winter and B50 or B99 in the summer. It does smell a whole lot better than regular diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi
Bio diesel is supposed to cost less because the govt subsidizes it. The Exxon station near my farm in Va sells b10 and undercuts the surrounding stations. Here locally the station on Naval station Annapolis sells B20. I run it whenever I can.
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I spotted that the other day...this is what I have in mind (Dream of).
That's a nice looking truck, but you know that's a 110, not a 130, right? The guys that built that truck are in Austin: http://www.roveraccessories.com/customvehicles1.htm
Have you ever been over there to check out their shop? I thought they went out of business, but it looks like they're still around. Just curious.
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverso View Post
Only real things to address are any rubber fuel lines need to be synthetic and you may need to change the type of fuel filter used depending on seals used.
Scott, which fuel lines have you changed? The fuel return hoses between the injectors? And what did you replace them with? Viton? What type of fuel filter do you use for your wife's 300 Tdi?

(By the way, I have Craig Reece's old 300 Tdi in my truck, so I know it's been running biodiesel and SVO in the past.)
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
That's a nice looking truck, but you know that's a 110, not a 130, right? The guys that built that truck are in Austin: http://www.roveraccessories.com/customvehicles1.htm
Have you ever been over there to check out their shop? I thought they went out of business, but it looks like they're still around. Just curious.
ok so from everything I've seen the extended cab was a 130...I know the photo sez 110, but I guess I've seen too much conflicting information.

'In 1985, the 127" was launched. Now known as the "130", the 127" is an even longer wheelbase version of the 110". Intended for the commercial market, this vehicle is ideal for special body conversions.
With the 1990 model year the ninety and one-ten were re-branded 'Defender'. Defender also came with the 200TDi turbo diesel engine option, followed in 1993 by the 300TDi. In 1999, the TD5 5-cylinder turbo diesel engine option was added to the line-up. Despite the introduction of electronics with the TD5 engine, it is already proving itself as tough as any Land Rover engine.'

So I guess what I am really looking for is a 110 Extended Cab? Correct? I like the shorter wheel base better...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	127.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	46620  
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
I didnt think to look where they were located. They are pretty close to me. I just called over and got the vmail. Think I'll pop over there tomorrow...thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, switch