Old January 29th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
US regulation states that after 95 all vehicles are required to have synthetic hoses.
Perhaps this is were there is confusion as we are not talking about engines made for the US market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Now that makes sense. Looks like there's little consistency between the years/engines.Best bet is to start running bio and check the cables weekly. Rubber will start to sweat, get soft and eventually leak.

Strange though that the 200tdi had synthetic spill lines and the 300tdi had rubber. You would think that moving towards synthetic would be a general trend in the auto industry, not just in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90

Perhaps this is were there is confusion as we are not talking about engines made for the US market?
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Don't know about pre Tdi engines but both of my 200s and my 300 had the rubber/fabric hose. If yours are nylon then perhaps that was a PO modification, or maybe an earlier 200tdi? Either way, if that is working, perhaps would be avoid mod for others to try. The rubber hose is certainly easy to replace though. When it leaks it throws diesel everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on Viton fuel filler hoses? I looked into it a few years ago and it was priced out at $200 so I abandoned it. My fuel filler hose is still rubber.
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
are "fuel rail lines" what you call the return lines between the injectors?

It looks like you can get the 4mm Viton hose from McMaster-Carr. See JackW's post in this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384

I think I need to buy some.
I'm guessing that's the Viton Fluoroelastomer Tubing that they sell, with 4mm outside/2mm inside dimensions?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I'm guessing that's the Viton Fluoroelastomer Tubing that they sell, with 4mm outside/2mm inside dimensions?
I think that's it, but I haven't tried it myself yet. Maybe JackW will chime in.
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Another question. Does anyone know if the 200/300tdi fuel tank pumps have rubber components in them? A rover mechanic I knew told me they did and would fail eventually but I haven't had any issues yet. First year I ran B99 almost exclusively so I assume it would have happened by now.
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:24 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Any idea where specifically a 300TDi would leak fuel assuming it has rubber lines?
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Any idea where specifically a 300TDi would leak fuel assuming it has rubber lines?
I'd think dampness or deterioration literally at any of the lines - from the fuel tank filler pipe, to the feed lines from the tank up front to the pump, to the fuel return lines between the injectors. I don't think the tank breather hose would be affected, though I could be wrong.

I'm actually going to be dropping my tank in the near future (hopefully this week) to clean/paint my rear crossmember so maybe I'll use this opportunity to replace some lines.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
I'm actually going to be dropping my tank in the near future (hopefully this week) to clean/paint my rear crossmember so maybe I'll use this opportunity to replace some lines.
Any idea that size the line you need to run from the tank to/from the engine bay/fuel filter?

Since I will be doing the 300tdi swap here shortly, I figured while my tank was down I would run viton to the engine bay so that one of the parts of the system is set up for sure if I want to start running bio.

Anything in the engine bay will be pretty easy to do whenever.

Thanks,
Pete
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Does anyone know where to get a good deal on Viton fuel filler hoses? I looked into it a few years ago and it was priced out at $200 so I abandoned it. My fuel filler hose is still rubber.
im assuming you could also use a silicone hose here. check siliconeintakes.com for some hose that the cheap and huge
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
I'd think dampness or deterioration literally at any of the lines - from the fuel tank filler pipe,
Bingo. My fuel tank filler pipe has deteriorated from using 100% bio.

Fuel leaks onto the side of my truck have also caused the paint to bubble badly. Think I need a new vented fuel cap. I didn't know biodiesel would do that to paint.

Anybody know where to get a fuel tank filler pipe that's biodiesel-rated?

Found this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13017

But wondering if anyone has any more recent info..
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:07 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any issue with going back and forth from bio to regular diesel once you have changed over the filter and fuel lines?
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There's no reason the B100 would cause that to happen. The only problem you'll have with B100 is in the spots where it sits in the line constantly. Like fuel spill rails or in the neck of the fuel filler hose. If it it's not in an area where it is in constant contact with rubber it would take a really long time to deteriorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd

Bingo. My fuel tank filler pipe has deteriorated from using 100% bio.

Fuel leaks onto the side of my truck have also caused the paint to bubble badly. Think I need a new vented fuel cap. I didn't know biodiesel would do that to paint.

Anybody know where to get a fuel tank filler pipe that's biodiesel-rated?

Found this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13017

But wondering if anyone has any more recent info..
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any issue with going back and forth from bio to regular diesel once you have changed over the filter and fuel lines?
No, no issue.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2012 07:38 AM ------

Quote:
There's no reason the B100 would cause that to happen. The only problem you'll have with B100 is in the spots where it sits in the line constantly. Like fuel spill rails or in the neck of the fuel filler hose. If it it's not in an area where it is in constant contact with rubber it would take a really long time to deteriorate.
I suppose the fuel filler hose could have already had a hole, but I would think that with a full tank, fuel could potentially be sitting in the hose couldn't it?
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That's what happened to mine. It had a kink in it and started getting soft where the kink was due to bio sitting there. Once I straighten it out the problem went away and I haven't had a problem since. It's still a rubber hose so I would like to change it out at some point but Viton hoses that size are expensive.
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Biodiesel usually comes in different blends. B20 is essentially regular diesel with 20% biodiesel, B50 is 50/50 and B99 or B100 is more or less pure biodiesel. So obviously no issue mixing. In fact, in a diesel additive test the best performing additive turned out not to be an additive at all. B20 took the top spot above Opti-lube and the other additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

So fuel line sizes anyone?
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Nobody ever answered Peter and I now have the same question: what's the proper internal diameter for Viton hose to be used in tank-to-motor fuel lines.

I would go out and measure myself but the truck is 20 miles away.

This is for a 300Tdi application with Robert Davis's sedimenter inline.

/
/
/
/
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Chris,
The 300tdi lift pump, old NAS steel lines, and steel tubes on top of the NAS tank are all 8mm OD.
5/16 slips over pretty easy, almost feels too easy (haven't had it running yet to see if it's ok or not with hose clamps).
1/4 is really hard to get on, really hard. I was told that you can beat the end of the hose to soften it, but that seems like a bad idea to me.
I just cut out the old NAS fuel filter and bridged the gap with 5/16 viton tube. I used 1/4 viton on the tank end and had them made up at a local hose shop. The stock olive and nut male fitting needs 1/4 tube, 5/16 is too big.
That's what I know at this time, maybe someone else can chime in too.
Pete

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, switch