Old January 26th, 2012, 09:33 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
ok so from everything I've seen the extended cab was a 130...I know the photo sez 110, but I guess I've seen too much conflicting information.

'In 1985, the 127" was launched. Now known as the "130", the 127" is an even longer wheelbase version of the 110". Intended for the commercial market, this vehicle is ideal for special body conversions.
With the 1990 model year the ninety and one-ten were re-branded 'Defender'. Defender also came with the 200TDi turbo diesel engine option, followed in 1993 by the 300TDi. In 1999, the TD5 5-cylinder turbo diesel engine option was added to the line-up. Despite the introduction of electronics with the TD5 engine, it is already proving itself as tough as any Land Rover engine.'

So I guess what I am really looking for is a 110 Extended Cab? Correct? I like the shorter wheel base better...
The above photo shows a 127/130 with the Hicap pickup bed (and an early one based on the removable door tops). The prior photo of the silver truck shows a 110 double-cab, which essentially just has a small pickup bed in the back (and is essentially the rear "tub").

I love the 130's and have always wanted one, but if you're thinking shorter wheelbase then you want a 110 double-cab.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
So I guess what I am really looking for is a 110 Extended Cab? Correct? I like the shorter wheel base better...
It all depends on what you want to use the truck for obviously, but if you want a 110, why not just get a 5 door station wagon? You lose a lot of lockable space in the double-cab, open-bed configuration.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
interesting ive never seen a double cab with a full size rear door instead of the typical rear 110 door. is this a custom thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
It all depends on what you want to use the truck for obviously, but if you want a 110, why not just get a 5 door station wagon? You lose a lot of lockable space in the double-cab, open-bed configuration.

I guess I just like the look of the double cab 110...besides it's harder to mount an anti aircraft gun on a five door! Well I have 5 or 6 months to make up my mind anyway so for now all options are open. I want to get the diesel thought refined and bring a few little things up to speed on my 90's. Lot's of "stuff" going on in 2012!

------ Follow up post added January 26th, 2012 12:47 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Go big.

-Jeff
Me thinks, Me likes!! lol...
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Most of the wheelbases longer than 127 are on offs. Even the new 130's have a 127" wheelbase, so do let that confuse you, much like a 90 is actually a 92.5" wheelbase.

-Jeff
I think Rover just thought "130" sounded sexier than "127"....you're right the actual wheelbase has always been 127" even today.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
http://forum.landrovernet.com/forumd...ives-to-Diesel I suggest you read up on other sites like this one.

------ Follow up post added January 26th, 2012 12:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
interesting ive never seen a double cab with a full size rear door instead of the typical rear 110 door. is this a custom thing?
Very early ones had that door apparently.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I guess I just like the look of the double cab 110...besides it's harder to mount an anti aircraft gun on a five door! Well I have 5 or 6 months to make up my mind anyway so for now all options are open. I want to get the diesel thought refined and bring a few little things up to speed on my 90's. Lot's of "stuff" going on in 2012!

------ Follow up post added January 26th, 2012 12:47 PM ------

Me thinks, Me likes!! lol...
Not sure if this helps you decide...man the 110 double-cab looks puny compared to it's full-sized big brother!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extoly_gb_l316_003bs_n-868_a-110-wb_a-dcpu.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	46709   Click image for larger version

Name:	130 land rover.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	46711  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 28th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
when switching to biodiesel, make sure to switch your lines to viton. my rubber fuel lines degraded pretty quickly just using B20 occasionally.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Depends on the age of the vehicle, right? Any vehicle 95 and newer should not have rubber lines to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
when switching to biodiesel, make sure to switch your lines to viton. my rubber fuel lines degraded pretty quickly just using B20 occasionally.
Great study here shows that the best performing fuel additive for diesel is actually biodiesel: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Depends on the age of the vehicle, right? Any vehicle 95 and newer should not have rubber lines to begin with.
All the Defenders I've seen use nylon fuel lines, but I never get to see newer ones. Nylon is fine.
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Just the return lines in between the injectors or all the lines throughout the system?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
entire system. any piece of rubber will be your weak link

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It depends on the age of the vehicle. Any car newer than 95 should not have rubber hoses to begin with. Check to see what you have in yours. It's easy to tell he difference. There is obviously no need to swap hoses that already are synthetic.

The only ones I had to swap was the return lines as they started leaking. Everything else except the fuel filler hose was already synthetic to begin with. Mines a 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

Just the return lines in between the injectors or all the lines throughout the system?
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
IThe only ones I had to swap was the return lines as they started leaking. Everything else except the fuel filler hose was already synthetic to begin with. Mines a 95.
Umm 200TDI, 2.5TD and 2.5NA have 100% nylon lines including the spill lines..... So are you saying only 1994 300TDIs are a problem?
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
John, take another look at the spill lines in between the injectors. I've had 3 tdi engines and fours spill rails and they were all rubber under a woven fabric outer covering. The line from the rail to the return fitting at the injection pump was nylon on all of them. My understanding is that for the tdi's on veg (and other bosch engines) you have to get the viton version of that hose, or they will deteriorate. Though there is also just some shitty hose out there like the brand new rail I bought while in the UK that lasted less than a year before I had to change the hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Umm 200TDI, 2.5TD and 2.5NA have 100% nylon lines including the spill lines..... So are you saying only 1994 300TDIs are a problem?
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
John, take another look at the spill lines in between the injectors. I've had 3 tdi engines and fours spill rails and they were all rubber under a woven fabric outer covering. The line from the rail to the return fitting at the injection pump was nylon on all of them. My understanding is that for the tdi's on veg (and other bosch engines) you have to get the viton version of that hose, or they will deteriorate. Though there is also just some shitty hose out there like the brand new rail I bought while in the UK that lasted less than a year before I had to change the hoses.
Dave:

Was it you that told me you could get the Viton fuel rail lines at Benz dealers?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 29th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My spill lines were definitely rubber with braided fabric. After running B99 for a year the got soft and started leaking.

I'm not saying anything other than check your lines. US regulation states that after 95 all vehicles are required to have synthetic hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90

Old January 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Dave:

Was it you that told me you could get the Viton fuel rail lines at Benz dealers?
are "fuel rail lines" what you call the return lines between the injectors?

It looks like you can get the 4mm Viton hose from McMaster-Carr. See JackW's post in this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384

I think I need to buy some.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverso View Post
I use Parker Bio-Diesel rated fuel line---a lot cheaper than Viton.
Thanks Scott. Do you happen to know the part number? Is it the "biodiesel hose series 7705"? Trying to find the right size/material on their website.

Quote:
If you want to run the stock fuel filter mount, than I found that Napa fuel filters handle the biodiesel better and don't begin to seep fuel around the seal. Both Proline and Land Rover fuel filters begin to seep fuel no matter how hard you tighten them. If you want to update your fuel filter mount I like using Stanadyne filters---easy to install and works well with bio.
thanks - very useful info.

Quote:
Small world as I currently have Craig's truck in my shop finishing the 2.8 conversion.
Yeah, I saw that on your website. I love that truck; have seen it up close when I used to live in Berkeley.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
John, take another look at the spill lines in between the injectors. I've had 3 tdi engines and fours spill rails and they were all rubber under a woven fabric outer covering.
I said 200TDI and earlier used nylon spill lines, at least everyone I've seen.

I have no idea what 300TDI engines have. I was replying to Manimal as he said that said from 1995, the hoses were synthetic. Since the 300TDI came out in 1994, this would then only leave one year with "rubber" lines. I'm just trying to clarify things as people might be getting confused.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, switch